Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Mexico v Republic of Ireland - Met Life Stadium NJ - Friday, 2nd June 2017 - Friendly

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts

Foot.ie! Mexico v Republic of Ireland - Met Life Stadium NJ - Friday, 2nd June 2017 - Friendly

Rumours the squad for this will be named on Monday 15th.

O’Neill also confirmed that a Irish squad will train in Fota Island, Cork, ahead of the friendlies against Mexico in New Jersey on 1 June and Dublin on 4 June against Uruguay.

"There might be one or two Premier League players [in the squad for the games against Mexico and Uruguay] but we don't have that many at this minute," O’Neill continued.

"One or two lads who have not played or figured at Premier League level may feel this is what they want to do but mainly it will be some of the Championship players."

“We had the opportunity to play some players — who have been in and around the squad but haven’t really participated that much – after the Wales game,” he said, speaking at the launch of 2017 SportsDirect.com FAI Summer Soccer Schools today.

“I’m not so sure that it’s an ideal time for trying out very young players who have never been involved in the squad for the simple reason that it’s a lead-up to the World Cup qualifying game, which is most important.
    The season ends this weekend for quite a number of players I will be choosing for these matches and therefore there is going to be a long time beforehand. So that’s the reason we organised the game against Uruguay.
    “Then there was an opportunity to play against Mexico in the US and I think it’s ideal for those Championship players who are not involved in play-offs — and who’ve been in and around the scene — to participate in those games.”

The squad will gather in the week beginning 22 May for a couple of days of intensive training before heading Stateside. O’Neill went to speak about wanting players who get the chance to line out for Ireland to feel like they’ve worked hard to do so.

“I like to see young players coming through but I like to feel that they have earned it,” he said.

“I just don’t want to be handing things out to people who think that because they picked up a cap along the way they’ve made the grade. I’d like to make it slightly more difficult.”

He went on: “Overall, that’s the thought but if there’s a player who is outstanding and really making an impact at league level, then why shouldn’t he get an opportunity?”
    Last edited by Closed Account; 12/05/2017 at 1:00 AM.

2. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    K/O time for Uruguay game is 18:00.

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    K/O time for Uruguay game is 18:00.
    Dammit, Tets will tidy it up.....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Squad announced.

http://www.fai.ie/ireland/news/oneil...for-june-games

Quote Originally Posted by FAI: Republic of Ireland Squad Announcement

Goalkeepers: Colin Doyle (Bradford City), Rob Elliot (Newcastle United), Keiren Westwood (Sheffield Wednesday), Darren Randolph (West Ham United)

Defenders:
    Cyrus Christie, Richard Keogh, Alex Pearce (Derby County), Paul McShane (Reading), Shane Duffy (Brighton & Hove Albion), John O'Shea (Sunderland), Andy Boyle (Preston North End), John Egan (Brentford), Marc Wilson (West Bromwich Albion), Kevin Long, Stephen Ward (Burnley), Matt Doherty (Wolverhampton Wanderers)

Midfielders:
    Aiden McGeady (Everton), Glenn Whelan (Stoke City), Jeff Hendrick, Robbie Brady (Burnley), Harry Arter (Bournemouth), Conor Hourihane (Aston Villa), Stephen Gleeson (Birmingham City), Eunan O'Kane (Leeds United), Darron Gibson (Sunderland), Liam Kelly (Reading), Wes Hoolahan (Norwich City), James McClean (West Bromwich Albion), Callum O'Dowda (Bristol City), Daryl Horgan (Preston North End), Jonathan Hayes (Aberdeen)

Forwards:
    Kevin Doyle (Colorado Rapids), David McGoldrick (Ipswich Town), Daryl Murphy (Newcastle United), Shane Long (Southampton), Jonathan Walters (Stoke City), Adam Rooney (Aberdeen)

6. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Wilson and Gibson are back for the first time in a while, if I'm not mistaken.

Is this Kevin Long's first senior call-up?

Good to see Matt Doherty in there too. I imagine he'll get game-time.

No place for Sean Maguire then, despite media reports a while back having claimed he'd be in the squad. Cork do have an important game against Dundalk on the 2nd of June, so it may be due to that that he's missed out or perhaps O'Neill isn't fully convinced by him.

No place for the in-form Cillian Sheridan either. Sheridan has crucial end-of-season games for title-chasing Jagiellonia right up until the 4th of June (the day of the Uruguay game), so he wouldn't be free to play in either of the friendlies, but he could have joined up with the squad after that and would certainly have offered something different up front against Austria, at least as an option off the bench.

I assume this squad will be whittled down as usual before flying to New York?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    50 Posts
    The lack of striking options in that squad is heartbreaking. At this point would it be worth looking at Sean Maguire from Cork or Aidan O'Brien @ Millwall? Kevin Doyle was a great servant but at this point in time what does he bring to the squad? Same with Murphy.

I can't imagine Cork being too upset if he was called up to the squad. Yes he'd miss an important game but being a full international would surely up his price to any prospective buyer.
    You show me a good loser and I'll show you a loser - Vince Lombardi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wangball View Post
    Same with Murphy.
    I've been impressed with Murphy in the recent games he has played, including when he played at the Euros.

I can't imagine Cork being too upset if he was called up to the squad. Yes he'd miss an important game but being a full international would surely up his price to any prospective buyer.
    He's got a release clause in his contract that will allow him to leave for €150,000. I get the impression interested clubs are already prepared to meet that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Yes, it's Kevin long's first call up.

I can see why Maguire and Sheridan weren't considered to be honest, with their club commitments. I don't think Sheridan was ever going to be thrown straight in to a match day squad for a massive game having not even made provisional squads back along. As much as I'd like to see him involved, he needed to be available for the friendlies I think.

Ciaran Clark is a notable absentee due to a knee injury. I think Doherty is injured too at the moment (hamstring) but they obviously feel he'll be okay by then.

Re: Liam Kelly - the Championship playoff final is on Monday, 29th May, the same date the squad depart for the States. If Reading do make it there and he makes the final cut for us, I suppose he could be still involved for the Uruguay match or catch a later flight to America.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Some comments from O'Neill here - https://www.rte.ie/sport/other-sport...s-15-may-2017/

Quote Originally Posted by Martin O'Neill
    "I wanted the game in America against Mexico. It will give us a chance to get the players on the pitch and work together. It's not an inconvenience but it falls at a strange time...We want as much preparation as possible. The players have to come down from their season but we need to get it back up again."

"Maguire is a player we're monitoring, there are a couple of lads in front of him at the moment but we'll keep looking at him."

"Westwood is in great form at the moment and the competition between the two is great for the squad."

"I saw Kevin Long play last week. He really impressed me, don't discount him. It'll be good to have a look at him."

"Cillian Sheridan was definitely a consideration, we're keeping a close eye on his form."

12. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    O'Neill on Kevin Long and Sean Maguire: https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2017...ireland-squad/

Quote Originally Posted by RTÉ
    "I saw Kevin Long play last week," O'Neill said. "He really impressed me, don't discount him. It'll be good to have a look at him."

The Leesiders' Sean Maguire has not been included, though O'Neill said the striker is a player "we are monitoring... if he continues to progress no reason why he can't make it but there are people ahead of him in terms of experience as much as anything."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Interesting little addition from the42.ie - http://www.the42.ie/ireland-squad-au...89882-May2017/

Quote Originally Posted by the42.ie
    This piece was updated to include James McCarthy (Everton) in the squad list. McCarthy was not named on the FAI’s original squad release, but an FAI spokesman subsequently confirmed that he is in the squad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Were Anthony Pilkington and Stephen Quinn available?

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,690 Posts
    I think Doherty is injured too at the moment (hamstring) but they obviously feel he'll be okay by then.
    I honestly don't think they even think of these things when they name the preliminary squads. They've named injured players who had little chance of recovery by the time the match came around.

Shame about Clark alright. Duffy will be a risk even if he plays in the friendlies. He's been out for quite a while.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,690 Posts
    Interesting little addition from the42.ie - http://www.the42.ie/ireland-squad-au...89882-May2017/
    They probably know he's out but included him just to wind Koeman up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    I honestly don't think they even think of these things when they name the preliminary squads. They've named injured players who had little chance of recovery by the time the match came around.
    You're right there for sure. The only reason I thought is was worth mentioning about Doherty was because I read this yesterday, and it implied that he was ruled out. - http://www.the42.ie/3-players-wed-li...87659-May2017/

Quote Originally Posted by the42.ie
    The former Stoke player [Marc Wilson] may not be the most glamorous name, but with Matt Doherty and Greg Cunningham both suffering season-ending injuries in recent times, coupled with Seamus Coleman’s well-documented setback of late, Ireland are short of options at full-back.

19. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    50 Posts
    Am I committing sacrilege by saying that John O'Shea has no place in that squad?

Have had the misfortune of having to watch Sunderland this season and in a team full of mediocrity & awfulness he's really managed to stand out as being especially awful
    Last edited by Wangball; 15/05/2017 at 11:13 AM. Reason: sneezed and posted prematurely

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Am I committing sacrilege by saying that John O'Shea has no place in that squad?
    With Clark unavailable and Duffy short of match fitness, yes, I think you are. Plus he was very solid against Wales.

22. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    50 Posts
    With Clark unavailable and Duffy short of match fitness, yes, I think you are. Plus he was very solid against Wales.
    He's been especially putrid for Sunderland since that game though

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    He's been especially putrid for Sunderland since that game though
    He's arguably not worth his place in the starting XI but he's clearly worth his place in the final squad, let alone this catch-all draft! Players regularly perform better at international level than for their clubs and he's worth his place for experience and leadership alone. And Sunderland as a whole are putrid, they'd make any defender look worse than they probably are.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,690 Posts
    ...but a goalkeeper better than he actually is

In fairness, their keeper is a talented lad.

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast