Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Mexico v Republic of Ireland - Met Life Stadium NJ - Friday, 2nd June 2017 - Friendly

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joe_denilson View Post
    That's a bit disingenuous, Jack Byrne was called up to train with them last year at the age of 19 and Alan Browne also last year at the age of 20, although Browne missed out through injury.
    Byrne was playing in the Dutch top flight for almost a full season and Browne had a hundred odd senior games, including Championship level. IMO there is no comparison.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    In fairness to TOWK I wouldn't call up anyone from Roscommon. End of.
    I hear Chris O'Dowd is a decent goalie if we're stuck.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Matt Doherty and Derrick Williams have won POTY awards. Williams hasn't been called up and Doherty hasn't even made a revised squad yet.

Playing one minute of Premier League football is not adequate though. I used the Harriman, Grego-Cox and Toner examples. He needs the transition to U-21 level and semi-regular senior football - if this is truly a footballing decision.

In fairness, those lads you mentioned all had plenty of senior football and Rice doesn't.

I can't prove it but they go to one, two games max a week and I have never heard them taking in West Ham U-21's though; and I don't think they should be taking cues, or leaps of faith, from an U-19 coach.

Difficult to quote on phone. Apologies.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Has O'Neill ever flat out stated or implied that lads like Boyle, Horgan and Maguire need to move to England to be truly considered?

It's hard to reconcile that with the fact he's willing to call up someone on the back of one minute of Premier League football.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,308 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOneWhoKnocks View Post
    Matt Doherty and Derrick Williams have won POTY awards. Williams hasn't been called up and Doherty hasn't even made a revised squad yet.
    Doherty's been injured since the end of April, didn't play Wolves' last three games. Williams was relegated with Blackburn, hardly deserving of a call up

Playing one minute of Premier League football is not adequate though. I used the Harriman, Grego-Cox and Toner examples. He needs the transition to U-21 level and semi-regular senior football - if this is truly a footballing decision.
    Nobody is saying a minute of Premier League football is enough.

In fairness, those lads you mentioned all had plenty of senior football and Rice doesn't.
    Lawlor hadn't played senior football when he was called up, Cunningham hadn't made his senior debut when he was first called up, Duffy had played three games when first called up

I can't prove it but they go to one, two games max a week and I have never heard them taking in West Ham U-21's though; and I don't think they should be taking cues, or leaps of faith, from an U-19 coach.
    If you've no proof, then don't post it. Why wouldn't they listen to the U19 coach?

Has O'Neill ever flat out stated or implied that lads like Boyle, Horgan and Maguire need to move to England to be truly considered?
    Horgan was first called up before he moved to England

It's hard to reconcile that with the fact he's willing to call up someone on the back of one minute of Premier League football.
    It really isn't, like I said, players have been called into the international squad before playing senior football for their club
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    488 Posts
    Norman Whiteside made his debut in a World Cup for the north with only 3 appearances for his club. All that has happened here is that a kid has been called up to train with the seniors for a (slightly) glorified post-season B international.

He's been doing well for his club and our U21s. It all seems terribly sensible to me.
    Bring Back Belfast Celtic F.C.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    357 Posts
    In MONROY we trust. I am sure the know what they are doing and long may they continue to surprise. I like this move. There is no room for complacency. I remember when a certain Steve Staunton and Jim Beglin were parachuted in. Turns out the manager knew what he was doing.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,691 Posts
    Damn you Gastric! I was just about to post I didn't hear any complaints when Staunton was called up for Euro 88. There weren't many Irish Times articles bemoaning lack of top flight players then either. I suppose there was no social media though.

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    EIR sports advertised coverage of both these games during Europa league final.

10. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    Damn you Gastric! I was just about to post I didn't hear any complaints when Staunton was called up for Euro 88. There weren't many Irish Times articles bemoaning lack of top flight players then either. I suppose there was no social media though.
    The reason why there were no complaints about young Stan being called up for Euro 88, is simply because he wasn't called up for Euro 88.
    Otherwise point well taken

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joe_denilson View Post
    EIR sports advertised coverage of both these games during Europa league final.
    Can you remember if they specified 'live' coverage for the Mexico game? On their programme planner they only have it down for 08:00 on Friday morning and again for 21:30 that night.

https://www.eirsport.ie/tv-guides

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,308 Posts
    live-footballontv have it listed as being broadcast live at 1am on Premier Sports: http://www.live-footballontv.com/
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

15. Thanks From:

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    Kevin Long is a good strong boy
    http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/socc...ance-1.3096192
    James McClean and three of the squad’s more established goalkeepers will join up with the 17 players who training at Fota island on Thursday morning ahead of Monday’s flight to New Jersey where Ireland will play Mexico next Thursday evening.
    About Kevin Long specifically
    Quote Originally Posted by Roy Keane
    “I’ve seen him a couple of times. He’s a good strong boy. Obviously, he’s not a kid and I’m sure if he gets a chance in Mexico he’ll take it. And that’s what happens in football sometimes. Sometimes fellas come into the squad at 18 or 19 years of age whether it’s a Robbie Keane or a Brady and then other lads come in a bit later in their career and that’s fine also.
    “As I’ve said, we don’t have the biggest pool of players so if lads are playing, particularly at Premier league level, then obviously they are going to be considered.”
    Last edited by Closed Account; 25/05/2017 at 1:09 PM.

Formerly: Rafa B
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts
    Anyone know if the Mexico match is being screened live please?
    Lets talk about six baby

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KK77 View Post
    Anyone know if the Mexico match is being screened live please?
    See two posts above your own ^^

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Shame Westwood isn't travelling. Would have liked to see what a good strong boy and a good catholic boy could get up toin the Shtates.

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    With no left backs in the squad, it may be an opportunity to go Antonio Conté/Celtic O'Neill

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,308 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    live-footballontv have it listed as being broadcast live at 1am on Premier Sports: http://www.live-footballontv.com/
    confirmed on Premier Sports' website: http://www.premiersports.com/footbal...nd-friendlies/
    1am, guess I'm working from home on Friday week.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    Shame Westwood isn't travelling.
    Is there confirmation of the squad that will be travelling to the US anywhere?

Why isn't Westwood travelling? Didn't O'Neill indicate that the team chosen against Uruguay will pretty much be the team to play Austria or did I imagine that? If Westwood isn't travelling to the US, maybe he's going to get a game against Uruguay? Could there be a chance of him starting against Austria?

Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast