Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Mexico v Republic of Ireland - Met Life Stadium NJ - Friday, 2nd June 2017 - Friendly

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Exactly. I don't think there's been any indication Rice would jump ship. So why call him up when he hasn't made a single senior appearance at club level?

I get that he has potential. But so did Crowley, Henderson, Dixon and several others at a similar age.

I'd go as far as to say it's debatable whether Grealish would have merited an Intl debut based on what he's done, if he had stayed with us.

He's unlikely to make an appearance against Austria anyway, so if he is inclined (doesn't look like it) he could still opt for England.

Cullen, Manning, Forrester and Darragh Lenihan must be scratching their heads.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    This link says Rice was called up to ward off interest from England.

http://www.football.london/west-ham-...-rice-13080166

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOneWhoKnocks View Post
    Calling up a forward would show more forward thinking
    Can't argue with that.

4. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Daniel McDonnell reaching the same conclusion as myself.

http://m.independent.ie/sport/soccer...-35749255.html

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    few of the squad were at the Cork City game last night: https://twitter.com/Thomas_Stafford/...91760027250689
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    few of the squad were at the Cork City game last night: https://twitter.com/Thomas_Stafford/...91760027250689
    Cork City were playing away in Sligo on Monday night. From reading the comments that appears to be the Beamish Cup Final between Cobh Wanderers and Ringmahon Rangers at Turners Cross. Alan Browne started out at Ringmahon.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    This link says Rice was called up to ward off interest from England.

http://www.football.london/west-ham-...-rice-13080166
    It says that. But it refers to the Irish Independent. In effect, it's regurgitating McDonnell's assertion that "it's difficult to avoid the conclusion" which isn't very conclusive at all.

I really think that arriving at this conclusion ignores the fact that this lad is clearly one of the best prospects to play underage for us in some time. To captain your under 23 club side at 18. To make your PL debut at 18. The other names you mention that could feel disgruntled were never developing at this rate. Lenihan found his feet at Championship level at 22, for example.

Maybe MON is right to set the PL as the standard for call ups. Kevin Long called up before Darragh Lenihan? That demonstrates to Lenihan that he has to aim for the top level before a call up. He has to set himself aside from all the other lads at Championship and League One level who have minimal or no PL experience. What sets Greg Cunningham aside from Matt Doherty aside from Derrick Williams for LB? Hard to say. All have won POTY At their club this year or last. But Stephen Ward has consistently managed to get himself into a PL side. Cyrus Christie managed to nip in ahead of these lads by virtue of the fact that he was playing Championship whilst Cunningham and Williams (and maybe Doherty) were in L1.

I'm not saying it's the perfect yard mark as MON acknowledged during the week that he has a lot of Championship players. Most of our defenders and midfielders have come in off the back of PL experience bar some exceptions (Christie, Keogh, Duffy came in at opportune times when we were short on numbers). McShane and Pearce, for instance, can be marked aside on that basis.

9. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    I have to say this is the funniest squad announcement of all time, for so many reasons.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    I have to say this is the funniest squad announcement of all time, for so many reasons.
    Nobody has mentioned Alan Smith was at Rangers... Grrrrrrrrr

12. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    It says that. But it refers to the Irish Independent. In effect, it's regurgitating McDonnell's assertion that "it's difficult to avoid the conclusion" which isn't very conclusive at all.
    Aidan Fitzmaurice also said "it's thought that this call-up to the senior panel is a move by the FAI to fend off any attempt by England to 'sign' Rice", but that's similarly vague and inconclusive.

It's thought by whom?... Fitzmaurice? Dan McDonnell? The wider media? Supporters? Or is the thinking from people in the know? The FAI? Martin O'Neill?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    I also think it's unusual myself given the additional or late call-ups - some of them very much out-of-the-blue - and then the absence of the in-form Sean Maguire, despite the selection of other Cork-based players, but care to elaborate?

Does O'Neill harbour a reluctance or hang-up over potentially being seen to have been led in his selections my the media? He does have a fairly lukewarm relationship with the press and can be quite sarcastic with them in press conferences. His exchanges with Tony O'Donoghue are often icy, for example, and I get the impression he likes to go against the grain. Could it be a stubbornness then on O'Neill's part that has cost Maguire a place or does he genuinely not rate the player as worthy of even a closer look?

Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    Nobody has mentioned Alan Smith was at Rangers... Grrrrrrrrr
    I hadn't even realised he was the Alan Smith who had played for Rangers. Have we ever had a Rangers player called up to the senior international squad before? (Is Smith considered an official squad call-up or is he essentially a "training prop" for the outfield squad?)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    Aidan Fitzmaurice also said "it's thought that this call-up to the senior panel is a move by the FAI to fend off any attempt by England to 'sign' Rice", but that's similarly vague and inconclusive.

It's thought by whom?... Fitzmaurice? Dan McDonnell? The wider media? Supporters? Or is the thinking from people in the know? The FAI? Martin O'Neill?
    "it is thought" = "we have no idea why, but we're not going to admit that"
    See also "famous person on date with mystery partner" = "we have no idea who their partner is, but we're not going to admit that"
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

16. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    'Decline of Irish players at top level clubs shows no sign of stopping': http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/socc...ping-1.3093289

Quote Originally Posted by Emmet Malone
    As it grows richer and more rapacious the English Premier League seems to cast a darker shadow than ever over the club competitions of neighbouring countries, but it no longer benefits their national teams in anything like the same way. In Ireland’s case the season just ended suggests the problem is becoming more and more acute.

Barely 20 players who are, or have been, available to play for the Republic featured in the English top flight since last summer. None played for a top six club over the past nine months, only a handful prospered at any of the rest and a couple of the international team’s stalwarts had seasons to forget.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    I read that earlier, why did he say "barely 20" instead of "19"?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    I think we can all reach the same conclusion, deep down, that Rice wouldn't have been called up because of his underage accomplishments if he was born in Roscommon.

I would be very surprised if O'Neill or Keane have even seen him kick a ball.

I don't think someone should get a national team call up so someone can take a look at him.

I think it's a prerequisite that management scout a player before calling him up.

And calling Rice a Premier League player is virtually the same as calling McEvoy one because he made the bench against Tromso.

Winning POTY awards over a season while playing with grown men should be a greater estimate of whether you are ready to play Intl ball.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Genuine question. What does it take, barring injury, to be dropped from an O'Neill squad?

Green, Kelly and Cox have finally stopped making squads.

Quinn has been injured.

It's very hard to get out of one.

It's like the mafia.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    I agree, and some of the omissions and inclusions confuse me. But with about 3 exceptions that I feel strongly about we're debating the margins. None of this stops this thread from amusing me though.

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    I think we can all reach the same conclusion, deep down, that Rice wouldn't have been called up because of his underage accomplishments if he was born in Roscommon.
    That's a bit disingenuous, Jack Byrne was called up to train with them last year at the age of 19 and Alan Browne also last year at the age of 20, although Browne missed out through injury.

23. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    What players from Roscommon would you call up, because of their underage accomplishments

I would be very surprised if O'Neill or Keane have even seen him kick a ball.
    Can you prove that? Even if they haven't, you don't think they didn't consult his U19 manager?

I don't think someone should get a national team call up so someone can take a look at him.
    what about Jack Byrne, Callum O'Dowda, or Ian Lawlor, or (under the previous manager) Shane Duffy, Greg Cunningham, Conor Clifford

I think it's a prerequisite that management scout a player before calling him up.
    By that logic, Cillian Sheridan will never get a call up

And calling Rice a Premier League player is virtually the same as calling McEvoy one because he made the bench against Tromso.
    Nobody is calling McEvoy a Premier League player because he's never played in the Premier League. People aren't even calling him a Europa League player because he was on the bench against Tromso. People are calling Rice a Premier League player because he has played in the Premier League. It's pretty logical.

Winning POTY awards over a season while playing with grown men should be a greater estimate of whether you are ready to play Intl ball.
    What players who have won POTY are not in the squad?

Genuine question. What does it take, barring injury, to be dropped from an O'Neill squad?

Green, Kelly and Cox have finally stopped making squads.

Quinn has been injured.

It's very hard to get out of one.

It's like the mafia.
    So you want to know what it takes to be dropped from the squad, and then name players who have been dropped from the squad.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    In fairness to TOWK I wouldn't call up anyone from Roscommon. End of.

26. Thanks From:

Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast