Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Mexico v Republic of Ireland - Met Life Stadium NJ - Friday, 2nd June 2017 - Friendly

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    One minute of professional football.

I wonder if there are any other reasons they called him up?

I predicted Stephen Dawson so I was half right.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    481 Posts
    Fair play to the lad. Not a bad week for him

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOneWhoKnocks View Post
    I wonder if there are any other reasons they called him up?

4. Thanks From:

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    Mentioned here yesterday
    https://www.whufc.com/news/articles/2017/may/22-may/rice-its-dream-come-true

http://www.insidefutbol.com/2017/05/...ounded/337729/
    Wrong link earlier

Quote Originally Posted by Declan Rice
    “Terry Westley called me and I was sat at home and just couldn’t believe it when he said Martin O’Neil had called him up to say he wants me to go to the training camp. My heart was pounding and I was thinking ‘Is this true?’.
    “Now I’m focused on that and joining up on Tuesday. I’ve just got to work hard in training and try to impress Martin O’Neil and Roy Keane.”

Read more at https://www.whufc.com/news/articles/...MZeK12iOE7d.99

Not unusual to call up young lads to train with them similiar to Jack Byrne, Alan Browne and a good few others down through the years. Good experience and can only be a positive for him.
    Last edited by Closed Account; 23/05/2017 at 1:43 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Byrne had a full season and Browne had several when they were called up.

I think it's a bit ridiculous TBH.

I'm not even sure there's a precedent for it.

Unheard of for a player to get called up without playing senior football and/or at a higher level than League Two, like Rice and O'Dowd.

It looks like a recruitment exercise more than a footballing decision.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    *O'Dowda

Even Conor Clifford had League One experience when he was called up.

And his subsequent career trajectory displays why that was a questionable decision.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    How did that get past the foot.ie instant news-breakers!

Am I missing something on that second link, I don't see anything about Rice?

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    I reckon he's only called up to train, i.e not in the actual squad that will travel to US. I wonder how many players are actually there this week? James McClean is in Dubai as far as I can see and I imagine a few others have short holidays planned.

The main 23 squad probably won't be whittled down until after the Mexico game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joe_denilson View Post
    I reckon he's only called up to train, i.e not in the actual squad that will travel to US. I wonder how many players are actually there this week? James McClean is in Dubai as far as I can see and I imagine a few others have short holidays planned.

The main 23 squad probably won't be whittled down until after the Mexico game.
    Ten center backs in the squad according to Balls.ie.

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    Ten center backs in the squad according to Balls.ie.
    I know yes, but what I mean is, according to O'Neill not everyone named in the extended squad is training for the Mexico/Uruguay games. He name checks the premier league players and playoff players specifically.
    Being generous that would mean O'Shea, Wilson, Long and McShane, maybe add in lads who've played an awful lot of games like Keogh. We could end up with an almost B international squad travelling over.
    It'll be interesting if nothing else.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    I guess it will effectively be a B International, which I have been calling for for quite a while.

Hopefully the Uruguay game will see participation from some of our stronger players.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,305 Posts
    Two more callups: https://twitter.com/i/web/status/867025688049709056
    .@CorkCityFC duo Mark McNulty & Alan Smith to join up with Martin O'Neill's Ireland squad for training camp in Fota Island. #COYBIG
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    851 Posts
    I think it's a bit ridiculous TBH.
    You would find the negative in a lottery win wouldn't you ?

There were rumours of Arsenal interest, he breaks into a Prem side which in case you haven't noticed, Irish players are doing less and less, the guy is dual qualified and is openly delighted by this. It shows forward thinking, MON thinking beyond MONs time as manager most likely, it shows awareness of talent emerging. It only ticks positive boxes.

Yet, still you aren't happy. Nonsense from you again in my opinion.

15. Thanks From:

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    19 man training squad in Fota Island this week:

Republic of Ireland Training Squad
    Goalkeepers: Mark McNulty, Alan Smith (Cork City)
    Defenders: Cyrus Christie, Alex Pearce, Richard Keogh (Derby County), Shane Duffy (Brighton & Hove Albion), Andy Boyle (Preston North End), Kevin Long (Burnley) Declan Rice (West Ham United), John Egan (Brentford)
    Midfielders: Eunan O'Kane (Leeds United), Alan Browne, Daryl Horgan (Preston North End), Conor Hourihane (Aston Villa), Wes Hoolahan (Norwich City), Stephen Gleeson (Birmingham City), Callum O'Dowda (Bristol City)
    Forwards: David McGoldrick (Ipswich Town), Daryl Murphy (Newcastle United)

http://www.fai.ie/ireland/news/irela...-training-camp

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    51 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joe_denilson View Post
    19 man training squad in Fota Island this week:

Republic of Ireland Training Squad
    Goalkeepers: Mark McNulty, Alan Smith (Cork City)
    Defenders: Cyrus Christie, Alex Pearce, Richard Keogh (Derby County), Shane Duffy (Brighton & Hove Albion), Andy Boyle (Preston North End), Kevin Long (Burnley) Declan Rice (West Ham United), John Egan (Brentford)
    Midfielders: Eunan O'Kane (Leeds United), Alan Browne, Daryl Horgan (Preston North End), Conor Hourihane (Aston Villa), Wes Hoolahan (Norwich City), Stephen Gleeson (Birmingham City), Callum O'Dowda (Bristol City)
    Forwards: David McGoldrick (Ipswich Town), Daryl Murphy (Newcastle United)

http://www.fai.ie/ireland/news/irela...-training-camp
    Not sure in the point in calling up 2 Cork City goalkeepers. Basically saying - your just here to make up the numbers for training lads. Should have another 1st choice keeper there, Schlingerman or Supple(Keane would love that) just to run the rule over them in case of an all out goalkeping crisis.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CraftyToePoke View Post
    You would find the negative in a lottery win wouldn't you ?

There were rumours of Arsenal interest, he breaks into a Prem side which in case you haven't noticed, Irish players are doing less and less, the guy is dual qualified and is openly delighted by this. It shows forward thinking, MON thinking beyond MONs time as manager most likely, it shows awareness of talent emerging. It only ticks positive boxes.

Yet, still you aren't happy. Nonsense from you again in my opinion.
    He hasn't broken into the team! He came on in second half stoppage time during the last game of the season.

Reece Grego-Cox, Kevin Toner and Michael Harriman accumulated more minutes in the PL before struggling to get minutes at L1 and L2 clubs (Cox and Toner) and establishing himself in L2 (Harriman).

The Arsenal rumors are just that. Rumors. He wouldn't be signing for their first team, he would be signing for their youth system, and as Henderson and Crowley have shown, it's hard to make the step up to senior football.

I doubt they've even seen him play TBH.

Calling someone up because their eligible is ridiculous. But if they're going to go down that road it would have made more sense to call up Josh Cullen.

Calling up a forward would show more forward thinking rather than calling up a tenth center back, pardon the pun.

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    851 Posts
    Calling up a forward would show more forward thinking rather than calling up a tenth center back, pardon the pun.
    Pretty sure if we had a striker who played a minute at Prem level last weekend he'd be along for the jolly too.

And there's nothing wrong with protecting the asset, if England are poking behind the scenes as they are known to do and this helps send a message that the guy is happy to go to a senior squad gathering with Ireland then it's win win far as I'm concerned.

People wants these friendlies to explore options beyond the usual squad lists and here we are.

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    I still think it's too early to read anything into Browne, Rice, McNulty and Smiths call ups to a decimated training squad. It seems unlikely the FAI would fly 42 players to the US.
    Chances are MON or a member of his staff was at the Burnley-West Ham game and asked Declan Rice if he would like to come over to a training camp. (a training camp that seems optional by all MONs quotes). Similiar with Browne.
    Still a small chance Maguire, Kevin O'Connor or some other players could be asked, maybe Ryan Delaney who's played LB assuming Cork release them or they are fit after playing last night.
    You can get all the recommendations from club managers, scouts, ex pros about prospective players but it's best to see them yourself on the training ground.

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/socc...medium=twitter
    The group will break up on Thursday evening before a revised squad gathers on Sunday in Dublin ahead of Monday’s departure for the United States where Ireland are due to play Mexico next Thursday.
    It is not yet clear how many senior players O’Neill intends to bring to New Jersey or how many of the current group will remain with the squad right through until the Austria game on June 11th.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,093 Posts
    Browne is probably in a similar position to Smith and McNulty- he was in Cork. Maybe that's unfair. He probably is worth a call up but it's an easy call to make too.

Delighted to see Rice get a call. I don't think there's ever been anything from his side that would lead us to think he would jump ship. The lad appears to have absolute buckets of potential and is playing at such a high level at such a young age. I don't think any of the players that TOWK has named there have shown as much promise by that age as Rice has.

Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast