Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Mexico v Republic of Ireland - Met Life Stadium NJ - Friday, 2nd June 2017 - Friendly

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    there's question marks over the availability of two midfielders and you're questioning the decision to call up another midfielder?
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

2. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    I think O'Neill is trying to wind TOWK up. He and Keane are ****ing themselves reading this.

4. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    50 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOneWhoKnocks View Post
    And just like Kevin Long, you have to question what Browne has done to deserve a call up; the lad has undoubted talent,
    Surely having undoubted talent is a good starting place for a call up?? What exactly are you looking for in a squad player?
    You show me a good loser and I'll show you a loser - Vince Lombardi

6. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Whelan, Arter, Hendrick, Gibson, Gleeson and O'Kane play that role.

Then there's Kelly, Hourihane and Hoolahan.

If he was going to call up another midfielder, I would have went with Manning rather than Browne based on what they've accomplished this season.

I simply cannot understand why he won't take a look at a striker.

It's the perfect time for it.

If we are depleted of strikers in September, the pressure of four huge games in quick succession is not the right environment to bring them in.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    Delighted to hear Browne has got a call up. Very young but has stagnated slightly this season so I hope that coming in and training with Ireland gives him a push in the right direction. Any young player called into that environment would surely leave counting down the days to getting back to pre season.

Training beside players like McCarthy, Arter and Wes will surely teach him a thing or two. Preston aren't stock piling central midfield of top flight quality.

9. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    Somewhat disappointed Manning hasn't been called in. That said, he only has half a season of first team football and little under 21 experience. Browne has been at that level a while so I'm thinking that might be why he's ahead of him in the queue.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    With Shane Long set to miss out and with O'Neill demonstrating that he's prepared to call up further players who haven't been named in his provisional squad, I'm hopeful Sean Maguire might still get a nod over the next few days, even if it's just to have the player train with the squad during the Fota Island training camp. The camp will be less than 20 kilometres down the road from Cork city (where I assume Maguire lives), after all, so why not bring him in? What's there to lose?

Cillian Sheridan's Polish title-chasing Jagiellonia Białystok take on Nieciecza on Sunday the 28th of May and then play Lech Poznań in their final game of the season on the 4th of June, which happens to be the same day as the Uruguay friendly, so Sheridan obviously won't be free to be travelling to the US during next week, be that for training or game-time. That's unfortunate, although it's not to say that O'Neill would have called him up otherwise either; O'Neill's words suggest possibly not.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    Strange to add someone to a 38-man provisional squad?

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Whelan, Arter, Hendrick, Gibson, Gleeson and O'Kane play that role.

Then there's Kelly, Hourihane and Hoolahan.

If he was going to call up another midfielder, I would have went with Manning rather than Browne based on what they've accomplished this season.

I simply cannot understand why he won't take a look at a striker.

It's the perfect time for it.

If we are depleted of strikers in September, the pressure of four huge games in quick succession is not the right environment to bring them in.
    You'd call up Manning based on his achievements this season, ie making a handful of appearances for a midtable Championship team, over a player who's played twice as often for a better team?

14. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Browne hasn't really nailed down a first team spot though.

Manning has impressed me more, from what I have seen of him, and appears to have more upside.

More versatile too.

Gleeson and O'Kane are worthy of a greater look based on Iceland, so I don't see much scope for Browne to get a look in.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    I concur it's a marginal decision in the greater scheme of things and it may be churlish of me to moan about it.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Manning has been in and out of the team too. I'm not saying he's a bad option either.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    602 Posts
    Browne hasn't really nailed down a first team spot though.

Manning has impressed me more, from what I have seen of him, and appears to have more upside.

More versatile too.

Gleeson and O'Kane are worthy of a greater look based on Iceland, so I don't see much scope for Browne to get a look in.
    FWIW Browne has played 35 times this season, although I believe a fair few of those were off the bench - Manning has played 17 times, although he only broke into the team in late 2016. With over 70 appearances at Championship level, I'd still give the edge to Browne. But they're both still young - Browne is 22 and Manning is nearly 21 so hopefully by the time we start our Qualifiers for the next World Cup, they'll both be serious candidates for the team.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by samhaydenjr View Post
    FWIW Browne has played 35 times this season, although I believe a fair few of those were off the bench - Manning has played 17 times, although he only broke into the team in late 2016. With over 70 appearances at Championship level, I'd still give the edge to Browne. But they're both still young - Browne is 22 and Manning is nearly 21 so hopefully by the time we start our Qualifiers for the next World Cup, they'll both be serious candidates for the team.
    Have to agree with this. It sends a positive message to Browne, who has accumulated multiples of the appearances at under 21 level for us and at senior level in the Championship than Manning has.

Manning has looked really good and has earned the plaudits but Browne has the extra bit of experience and has a lot of games played for a defensive midfielder of that age.

Nobody has mentioned that Browne got the nod over Chris Forrester yet. Forrester really needs to get his move this summer.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Like Danny's logic regarding Maguire, I wonder if Browne's inclusion is partially based on convenience. Would he have been Cork-based now that Preston's season has ended? The squad is due to meet up this morning in Fota Island - http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/socc...quad-1.3092517

Of course, O'Neill and Keane would have been keeping a close eye on Preston anyway so it's no surprise that they'd know more about Browne than some of the others mentioned.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    484 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    With Shane Long set to miss out and with O'Neill demonstrating that he's prepared to call up further players who haven't been named in his provisional squad, I'm hopeful Sean Maguire might still get a nod over the next few days, even if it's just to have the player train with the squad during the Fota Island training camp. The camp will be less than 20 kilometres down the road from Cork city (where I assume Maguire lives), after all, so why not bring him in? What's there to lose?
    Cryptic but you may get your wish.20170523_123218.jpg
    Bring Back Belfast Celtic F.C.

22. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    wonder if "newest" means a first call up for a player?
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Considering they're getting new gear I'd say so.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    Considering they're getting new gear I'd say so.
    How do we know it's new? Looks creased to me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    They've only gone and bloody done it! - https://www.instagram.com/p/BUb6IV6FVNU/

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast