Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 36 of 37 FirstFirst ... 2634353637 LastLast

Thread: FAI Cup 2017

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    649 Posts
    Credit to Caulfield throwing Bolger on he changed the game for Cork and looked very impressive.
    Caulfield makes himself hard to like with his antics but you can't take it away from him , he has won the double and you don't do that if your not a good manager.

Vemuland and Mcelaney were great for Dundalk and Gartland was impressive too as always.
    I'd agree it was the best of the 3 finals and not just because of the drama of the shootout, Sheppard whoever he plays for next season is an excellent player, the pass for the equaliser would be repeated again and again if it was in the PREMIERSHIP

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    appropos not slaging each other , i think the Dundalk official statement that "the best team lost today" is way below the level you'd expect of an official statement.
    I expect/hope some relatively junior person put the final draft up , they need to change that.
    Yeah I saw that statement on their site, very silly and childish. Rodgers got man of the match I believe so that kind of contradicts it.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rebel View Post
    Yeah I saw that statement on their site, very silly and childish. Rodgers got man of the match I believe so that kind of contradicts it.
    Absolutely. Unprofessional and graceless.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    365 Posts
    The statement was fine in my view apart from that ridiculous line about the best team lost. A draw was probably a fair outcome, Cork definitely better in the first half, could have won it last min of normal time, before this Dundalk were strong for long periods of the second half and then after in the first half of ET.

With penalties it's obviously 50/50, can go anyway and it went Corks, that's how it goes. On the statement, I don't think the fact Dundalk didn't include congratulations is a big issue, they did the right thing by immediately tweeting congrats the night they won the league. Also mentioned they were deserving champions.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    188 Posts
    I'd agree the rest of the statement is fine. I actually have no issue with them thinking the better team lost, I could imagine feeling like that after the second half ye had. But not appropriate to put it in an official statement, especially in a week your manager is complaining about our professionalism. I don't think not saying congrats is an issue at all really. It's nice, but not necessary.

It was lovely to see everyone join the minutes applause.

Bolger changed the game. If the rumours are right and he's going to Rovers they will have a very formidable midfield next year.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    365 Posts
    I got the impression that statement was written by a junior person, maybe they had a lot of it pre written pending the result, but the line on better team losing was something that should have been edited out. I work in an industry that is mostly email / reporting, often I have to write up reports on meetings or any post event, plenty of times I write up, leave it, then go back on purpose an hour later and change. This line should have been changed to 'disappointing way to lose the game after such a hard and keenly contested battle' etc

Didn't mention earlier, but absolute kudos to Cork fans for respecting and joining in the applause for the young Dundalk fan who tragically died, I was with someone yesterday who said he met people the lad in question arranged 6 tickets for other lads from the North, and they were all there. The thought of him and his family today quickly got me out of my selfish bad mood.

Enjoy the Monday night for those celebrating guys, this was always my favourite night out after a cup final win.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

7. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    I'm a bit surprised and saddened that there are so many congratulating us on the minutes applause. At the end of the day Foods was one of our own. The LoI is a family, we don't always have to like each other but we all share a common bond. Whatever the rivalry it will be a sad day when opposing fans don't respect a fallen comrade.

As for the flares, both sets of fans were throwing them "rather close" to the fire fighters. It was ridiculously easy to bring anything into the stadium. I had my nephew's birthday present in a paper bag. Just a beanie hat covered by a scarf. The stewards just peeked into the bag and nobody tried to search me. I could have brought in a handgun under that scarf, let alone flares. I doubt that the FAI was too bothered about finding flares when they could just fine the clubs afterwards. Although, it is interesting to note that the surface did not catch fire, there might be something to this grass stuff after all

I'm sorry to hear that stuff was dropped on Dundalk fans. I was in 117 and some stuff fell down on City fans as well. 117 was at the edge of the City contingent and I don't think anybody was hit. It was pretty random stuff, a programme and what I thought were a couple of pens but might have been lighters. I didn't think much of it at the time, I assumed it was accidental although I saw a City fan give the finger to someone above. It's disgusting behaviour if and when it's deliberate though.

Every team attracts people that have more scraped knuckles than brain cells but the majority are decent sports fans. But it's always the minority that gets us really ****ed off with each other.

9. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    365 Posts
    Honest question Cork fans, I've noticed the term City' been used in an almost constant term to describe the current side, is this just a local description or is it an attempt to create a franchise of the name (noting Derry have the same second name)

Reason I ask, almost every post on here by a Cork City fan, they use the term 'City' whereas most replies are all 'Cork'.

I'd never refer to the current Cork City side other than Cork, but I get the feeling there is a want to be known as 'City' only and not Cork?

Interested on local opinion

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    No genuine cork city fans would ever refer to us as anything but city. It's not a conscious thing that were trying to establish, it's just what we are. Cork is the what you call the gaa teams.
    I dunno if it's a thing that has carried over from there being two teams (hibs/Celtic) but is the only way I've ever known it

12. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    86 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by El-Pietro View Post
    No genuine cork city fans would ever refer to us as anything but city. It's not a conscious thing that were trying to establish, it's just what we are. Cork is the what you call the gaa teams.
    I dunno if it's a thing that has carried over from there being two teams (hibs/Celtic) but is the only way I've ever known it
    Yeah, when you hear someone from Cork refer to us as "Cork" you know they've never been in the gates of Turners Cross. With the exception of Pat Morley. I'm not sure where we got him.
    [/B][I]P.Esc.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    222 Posts
    Whilst I'll usually use 'City' to describe Derry City amongst other Derry people, I'll switch to 'Derry' on here, or 'Derry City' if speaking with someone else.

I know they don't mean it that way, but it comes across as ignorant, or at worst arrogant, for Cork ones to use the term 'City' on here, IMO. It's what they're used to, grand, but would make sense for them use 'Cork', or even 'Cork City' when talking to non-Cork people. I wouldn't say it annoys me, it just would read better for them to use 'Cork'.

I'd imagine it's the same in that Sligo fans will say 'Rovers' amongst themselves, 'Sligo' on here. If everyone started using their club's suffix, it'd get fairly confusing (with some exceptions), so best just keep things simple.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    86 Posts
    And it's started.....when are the fixtures out?
    [/B][I]P.Esc.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    365 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by El-Pietro View Post
    The GAA reference is interesting, and I can see 'City' being the difference when talking about Cork GAA and the LOI club, but I also get the point from the Derry side too.

On the GAA thing, this reminds me of a classic during the summer, Marty Morrissey filling in, rte radio 1, 'and a huge match tonight in Europe, with Dundalk United away to Rosenborg'
    Last edited by oriel; 07/11/2017 at 9:19 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    I think the main reason is that Cork is a generic term and City is specific. For example, Cork did very well in the LoI this season, winning the double and coming second in the first division. Cobh (Ramblers and Wanderers) are just as much Cork teams as City is. The Cork women had great great success in winning the FAI cup and winning the camogie final. Using City renders the context irrelevant in a lot of cases.

So I think the difference lies in where you draw the line on what is more confusing. Maybe it's a force of habit but seeing as the only club that we can be confused with here is Derry City I'm not sure if the potential level of confusion is really that high? I kind of expect Derry fans to refer to themselves as City and us as Cork.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oriel View Post
    The GAA reference is interesting, and I can see 'City' being the difference when talking about Cork GAA and the LOI club, but I also get the point from the Derry side too.

On the GAA thing, this reminds me of a classic during the summer, Marty Morrissey filling in, rte radio 1, 'and a huge match tonight in Europe, with Dundalk United away to Rosenborg'
    Maybe Marty knew something we didn't about the American consortium's plans.

19. Thanks From:

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,000 Posts
    Dundalk White Sox

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    86 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by osarusan View Post
    Dundalk White Sox
    Dundalk Oriel's.

22. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    People from Donegal usually call us Harps.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    People from Donegal usually call us Harps.
    ffs how are we supposed to know if you're referring to Finn Harps or Ratoath Harps?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    103 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Parker View Post
    Can anyone help with a link to find the FAI Cup rules/regulations?
    Anyone?

Page 36 of 37 FirstFirst ... 2634353637 LastLast