Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Retired Players Thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Possibly, but correlation does not imply causation. People get tumours without ever having played football.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    Possibly, but correlation does not imply causation. People get tumours without ever having played football.
    There is no single causation factor for a benign tumour which fits everybody. There are no absolute causation factors and I'm not looking for an absolute proof of a single causation here.

Just because non sporting people get benign tumours without having played sports, does not lessen the value of considered opinion and supporting evidence that people who have played sports where repeated blows to the head and/or concussion are experienced, have an increased susceptibility factor for brain degeneration to develop later on in life, whatever form that degeneration eventually takes. As Cas states, he feels he left it too long to get his brain examined. I guess here, that he had experienced some symptoms but ignored them. Whether the blows to the head was his main causation factor or not, is not of great relevance to Cas right now but his sports career put him in a risk category which by default should be actively encouraged (by footballers' union?) to undergo regular check ups.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Long interview with Maurice O'Driscoll on the42.ie today: http://www.the42.ie/maurice-odriscol...54933-Jun2018/
    I didn't know he's Aaron O'Driscoll's dad, there's a mention of his progress he's made at Southampton at the end
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    778 Posts
    Only discovered over the weekend this retro football magazine called backpass http://www.backpassmagazine.co.uk/ Primarily deals with the UK but in the latest issue there is an interview with Alan McLoughlin.

Backpass.jpg
    Last edited by OwlsFan; 11/06/2018 at 12:36 PM.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    I still haven't finished Alan McLoughlin's book. Three chapters left I think for the past God knows how long. I've even read other books in that time frame which probably isn't a great sign of it.

I do remember finding some parts interesting enough, particular some Swindon stuff that happened just before I developed an interest in football, when they were promoted but not promoted, after he scored the winner in a playoff at Wembley.

The only other bits I remember was that he was Man Utd fan despite growing up across the street from Maine Road and that he seemed a bit whooped by his wife.

And obviously Windsor Park & his cancer scare/battle featured heavily.

His Wembley goal is here at 4:30-

Last edited by DeLorean; 12/06/2018 at 2:44 PM.

6. Thanks From:

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    778 Posts
    There were all kinds of payment irregularities going on in Swindon at the time I think.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    The curious case of James O'Connor: http://www.thepridecincy.com/blog/20...-james-oconnor
    Might be a managerial career to watch
    O’Connor set to make his MLS coaching/managerial debut on Saturday at the helm of Orlando City SC. The Dubliner was a bit of a journeyman who played plenty of matches in England’s 2nd and 3rd tiers before wrapping up his career in the U.S. — most recently managing Louisville City to a USL (U.S. 2nd tier) playoff championship win last season.

Good luck to him. Orlando has the resources to spend big by MLS standards (they had Kaka for a couple of seasons), so he will be given the tools to succeed although he likely won’t be given a lot of time to deliver results so will need to start strong.

9. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    602 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by irishfan86 View Post
    O’Connor set to make his MLS coaching/managerial debut on Saturday at the helm of Orlando City SC. The Dubliner was a bit of a journeyman who played plenty of matches in England’s 2nd and 3rd tiers before wrapping up his career in the U.S. — most recently managing Louisville City to a USL (U.S. 2nd tier) playoff championship win last season.

Good luck to him. Orlando has the resources to spend big by MLS standards (they had Kaka for a couple of seasons), so he will be given the tools to succeed although he likely won’t be given a lot of time to deliver results so will need to start strong.
    That's an interesting development - a good run with Orlando might make him a potential option for us in the Post-Monkeano world. The FC Cincy blog praises his ability to squeeze the most out of limited talent, which would certainly be helpful. On a related note, still-Irish-qualified Shane O'Neill, whose career seemed to stall in Europe, has just signed for Orlando

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts
    https://www.independent.ie/sport/soc...-37037775.html

Just saw this sad news about Ron Healey, a regular squad member back in the 70's when you only had to be on the books of an English club to get one of the goalkeeping spots. Only played a couple of times for us and I don't think he was ever a regular with Cardiff in the old second division

12. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    I remember his game at Wembley as I'm sure OwlsFan and Geysir and a few others will too. That's sad alright. I actually buy stuff from Just4keepers for my son. RIP.

14. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Chelsea's U16 team won the Under 16 Premier League Cup after beating Arsenal 5-2 yesterday, coached by former Ireland U21 player James Simmonds
    Real blast from the past there

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    I still haven't finished Alan McLoughlin's book. Three chapters left I think for the past God knows how long. I've even read other books in that time frame which probably isn't a great sign of it.

I do remember finding some parts interesting enough, particular some Swindon stuff that happened just before I developed an interest in football, when they were promoted but not promoted, after he scored the winner in a playoff at Wembley.

The only other bits I remember was that he was Man Utd fan despite growing up across the street from Maine Road and that he seemed a bit whooped by his wife.

And obviously Windsor Park & his cancer scare/battle featured heavily.

His Wembley goal is here at 4:30-

Thanks for that Del. That was a corker of a game with some awful commentary, even worse shooting, but some fine goalkeeping. Have to say I’ve no recollection of that game at all.

Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan View Post
    There were all kinds of payment irregularities going on in Swindon at the time I think.
    Yeah, didnt they get kicked out under hoddle a few seasons later too?

Quote Originally Posted by irishfan86 View Post

James O’Connor was a very decent player who has a super career in league football. If it’s the same guy I’m sure he had a decent goal scoring record

17. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Brian Barry-Murphy appointed Rochdale manager: https://www.rochdaleafc.co.uk/news/2...-announcement/
    Rochdale Football Club is delighted to announce that Brian Barry-Murphy has been appointed as the Club’s new first team manager on a two-year contract.

Barry-Murphy has taken charge of first team affairs since the departure of Keith Hill and Chris Beech last month, securing an impressive eight points from an available 12 whilst at the helm, with the team having won two and drawn two under his stewardship.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Excellent interview with Alan Moore on the42 today: https://www.the42.ie/alan-moore-irel...46751-May2019/

20. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    RIP former Irish international Jimmy Conway, 73, passed away today in London

22. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,612 Posts
    RIP former Irish international Jimmy Conway, 73, passed away today in London
    https://m.facebook.com/portlandtimbe...6045083166562/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    European Cup winner, Tony Dunne, passes away, aged 78 - https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/52967677

25. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    RIP Theo Foley, aged 83. Won nine caps for his country

27. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    26 Posts
    Chelsea's U16 team won the Under 16 Premier League Cup after beating Arsenal 5-2 yesterday, coached by former Ireland U21 player James Simmonds
    Real blast from the past there
    I saw him come off the bench for Hemel Hempstead last year

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Yesterday was Mickey Walsh's 65th birthday, he won 21 caps for Ireland and scored three goals
    Reading his wikipedia page - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mickey_Walsh - I noticed this in his club career
    He spent six years playing in Portugal with FC Porto, and appeared in their 2–1 defeat by Juventus in the 1984 UEFA Cup Winners' Cup Final in Basel.
    He came off the bench in the game in question, and I wondered - is he the only Irish player to a appear in a European Final for a non-British club?
    Brady never did at Juventus or Inter, Aldridge and Babb never reached a final from their time abroad, so is there any other player who's managed it?

30. Thanks From:

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast