Thread: Discounts for Cobh away available

International Prospect outspoken's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    812 Posts

Discounts for Cobh away available

Hi all,

Just wanted to make everyone aware there will be a bus traveling to Cobh on Saturday week and I will be trailing a new discount scheme in the hope of attracting a few new faces on board. There will be a €5 discount for season ticket holders, supporters club members and anyone who has traveled on board already this season. Looking to make a day out of it as we've done previously down in Cobh so leaving Longford at 12:30. Anyone who wants to book a seat can just comment on this thread. Cheers all.
    BetweenTheStripes.net - Home of Between the Stripes LOI podcast.

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    535 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by outspoken View Post
    Hi all,

Just wanted to make everyone aware there will be a bus traveling to Cobh on Saturday week and I will be trailing a new discount scheme in the hope of attracting a few new faces on board. There will be a €5 discount for season ticket holders, supporters club members and anyone who has traveled on board already this season. Looking to make a day out of it as we've done previously down in Cobh so leaving Longford at 12:30. Anyone who wants to book a seat can just comment on this thread. Cheers all.
    look lads we may have all our individual differences but for the greater good of the club it would be nice to have a huge crowd on the bus down to Cobh. It has being disappointing that there were no buses for Belfield Bowl and Wexford but LTFC really need a united support on the terraces to away matches and its a very good offer to recognise Supporters Club members and Season ticket members so hopefully people will recognise the phenomenal effort that Outspoken is making .
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinho II View Post
    look lads we may have all our individual differences but for the greater good of the club it would be nice to have a huge crowd on the bus down to Cobh. It has being disappointing that there were no buses for Belfield Bowl and Wexford but LTFC really need a united support on the terraces to away matches and its a very good offer to recognise Supporters Club members and Season ticket members so hopefully people will recognise the phenomenal effort that Outspoken is making .
    Cheers Marty, the discount on offer here should cover quite a lot of people so hopefully some new faces (and old) will be encouraged to travel. I put 30 quid in the tank to Wexford and barely
    Had enough to get home so wouldn't like to think the cost of filing up for Cobh, 20-25 quid (hopefully no more than that) a head is great value so it makes sense for people to travel on board. Here's hoping anyway.

4. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by outspoken View Post
    Cheers Marty, the discount on offer here should cover quite a lot of people so hopefully some new faces (and old) will be encouraged to travel. I put 30 quid in the tank to Wexford and barely
    Had enough to get home so wouldn't like to think the cost of filing up for Cobh, 20-25 quid (hopefully no more than that) a head is great value so it makes sense for people to travel on board. Here's hoping anyway.
    Genuine question, what do you think are the reasons people don't go on the bus? Surely it's not the price

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    535 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chickennuggets View Post
    Genuine question, what do you think are the reasons people don't go on the bus? Surely it's not the price
    We had huge crowds on the bus to Athlone and Tolka Park. Think a lot of new lads were put off by the abuse from certain supporters of ours especially at Athlone match and a result they have stopped going. Look I know there was alcohol drank on the bus going up but this has worked in the past especially with Paschal Flaherty running a bus for the ones that would like a drink and the Supporters Club had the non alcos one.
    I think the supporters club should have kept the bus going and not got Outspoken to take it over before the split in Section O occurred. You could have had two buses going.
    Look in my younger day I liked a drink or two before the match and I always found this greatly increased atmosphere. I know there was a pitch invasion in Lissywollen but that was more of joyful excuberence and I am sure that the culprit will get a warning from the club over it. Theres nothing wrong with passion so long its not over the top and look we are not perfect.

That is my take on it. I think this is a reasonable offer but with our home crowds dropping alarmingly maybe its a repeat of last season all over again when two buses were ran by Outspoken.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    We had huge crowds on the bus to Athlone and Tolka Park. Think a lot of new lads were put off by the abuse from certain supporters of ours especially at Athlone match and a result they have stopped going. Look I know there was alcohol drank on the bus going up but this has worked in the past especially with Paschal Flaherty running a bus for the ones that would like a drink and the Supporters Club had the non alcos one.
    I think the supporters club should have kept the bus going and not got Outspoken to take it over before the split in Section O occurred. You could have had two buses going.
    Look in my younger day I liked a drink or two before the match and I always found this greatly increased atmosphere. I know there was a pitch invasion in Lissywollen but that was more of joyful excuberence and I am sure that the culprit will get a warning from the club over it. Theres nothing wrong with passion so long its not over the top and look we are not perfect.

That is my take on it. I think this is a reasonable offer but with our home crowds dropping alarmingly maybe its a repeat of last season all over again when two buses were ran by Outspoken.
    I wasn't at Athlone myself so not sure what happened there. I heard about the pitch invasion though, which was very stupid. No excuse for that. I wouldn't have thought drinking on the bus would put that many people off. Do you really think that's the main reason many stay away?

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    It'd be interesting to see what kind of numbers the bus would get if we were doing well and there was a buzz around the games. As we're, eh not doing well, and haven't been doing well since early 2015 it's no great surprise that numbers are low. Speaking for myself I get to few enough home games and the only away games I can realistically make are Dublin ones as I'm Dublin based.
    Upwards to the vanguard where the pressure is too high.

9. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    91 Posts
    Section O/away fan numbers/general atmosphere or whatever you want to call it has always dwindled over the years. Every "generation" will eventually stop going to as many games as they used to due to moving away, work, relationship commitments etc. Section O has, however, been revived a number of times over the years. The problem this time is there is nothing coming up the ranks...absolutely nothing.
    If you can keep your head when all around you have lost theirs, then you probably haven't understood the seriousness of the situation.

11. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    185 Posts
    I don't know what other people's reasons for not travelling by bus are, but personally I'd rather walk barefoot to Cobh/Wexford/Waterford etc. than spend multiple hours on a bus with some of the *****s that would be present on said bus.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    105 Posts
    . Think a lot of new lads were put off by the abuse from certain supporters of ours especially at Athlone match and a result they have stopped going.
    I was at the Athlone game, and was positioned roughly in between the Town fans on either side. I can't recall of any abuse directed towards any new lads on the night?

I agree with Bosco's post. There seems to be an opinion that certain people have "killed" section O (despite said people remaining there ever since).

As Bosco alluded to, Section O was dwindling years ago before new people got involved and re-invigorated it. However, there is no younger people now willing to take it on and make a go of it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bosco View Post
    Section O/away fan numbers/general atmosphere or whatever you want to call it has always dwindled over the years. Every "generation" will eventually stop going to as many games as they used to due to moving away, work, relationship commitments etc. Section O has, however, been revived a number of times over the years. The problem this time is there is nothing coming up the ranks...absolutely nothing.
    Well said.

15. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    812 Posts
    I wasn't at Athlone myself so not sure what happened there. I heard about the pitch invasion though, which was very stupid. No excuse for that. I wouldn't have thought drinking on the bus would put that many people off. Do you really think that's the main reason many stay away?
    I tried running a ''dry bus'' before to see would it encourage more families/kids to travel and don't think I got a single name, if anything it put your usual people off going. Obviously biggest reason people don't travel is we aren't doing well. Outside of that driving is simply more comfortable and quicker. No harm Trying out this discount thing among other things to see can it have any effect but at the end of the day results/distance and cost are things we can't control and they are the main reasons people aren't traveling. As for the talk above of 2 busses, those days are gone and I don't think people who decide to drive should be criticised for it, each to their own.

17. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cabs88 View Post
    I was at the Athlone game, and was positioned roughly in between the Town fans on either side. I can't recall of any abuse directed towards any new lads on the night?

I agree with Bosco's post. There seems to be an opinion that certain people have "killed" section O (despite said people remaining there ever since).

As Bosco alluded to, Section O was dwindling years ago before new people got involved and re-invigorated it. However, there is no younger people now willing to take it on and make a go of it.
    This talk of abuse in athlone is nonsense, there was one singing section who did their thing and then everyone else enjoyed the game a few rows over. One supporter ran on the pitch and was sanctioned for it. Non story. Our home attendances are cat so away numbers aren't going to ever be more than a 16 seater and as mentioned above with the majority preferring to drive a lot of time there won't be busses. This is a results business, it's not so long ago I was organising 2 busses to Tolka park and Oriel in recent years. Anyway that's my 2 cents on the thread but if someone from the SC could spread the word on the discount on offer that would be appreciated.

New Signing
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    It's no harm to give it a try and see do things improve. Personally I can't see it though. It's been said already but when things are going good on the pitch everything is rosey off it. Longford has a small core fan base, it always had. The team isn't preforming and that's one of the main reasons people aren't travelling. The casual fans will always be casual fans and in Longford's case, those casual fans would rather sit and watch the premiership or racing on tv on a Saturday than sit on a bus and drink lukewarm cans on a 2 hour bus. Should we not win this weekend, the manager should be sacked immediately. It may seem harsh given he's not in the job long but there is a team there more than capable of a promotion tilt albeit the midfield needs work. If Longford don't go up this season then it will be a lot longer than 7 years before they ever go up again given the new league structure.

20. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    535 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by De Town View Post
    I don't know what other people's reasons for not travelling by bus are, but personally I'd rather walk barefoot to Cobh/Wexford/Waterford etc. than spend multiple hours on a bus with some of the *****s that would be present on said bus.
    Right I have enough of your ****e. Its aimed at me considering I'm not the full shilling. Your dad worked with my brother so how on earth are you related to your father as ye are chalk and cheese. You are a horrible piece of work.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Jerry! Jerry! Jerry!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    535 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cabs88 View Post

Look cabs between you bosco and outspoken ye did a superb job reviving section o and I thank you for that but this is my issue.
    I regret at supporters club agm a few years back recommending you for chair cos of the debacle at cup semi final. I understand that you had a difficult job to do considering one of the lads being falsely accused at lighting flares and it upset a lot of section o lads a lot. I only found out at the weekend that he had being warned before about flares but I did not like the unprofessional manner the board conducted themselves. Instead of handing out letters like confetti near end of that season at Derry match why could the club not have a private meeting with the culprits like what was done after athlone match. That's where the whole issue lies.at least there would have being respect there.
    I appreciate bosco and you were there from close enough the start in section o but I will not tolerate the bullying antics from de town when he doesn't get his own way. There's no compromise with him at all and what he said about me when cousins quit about me not being not the full shilling was disgusting,slanderous and downright shameful.it was uncalled for and I never started this slagging off with him.
    But the reason I am not going to section o again is because of de town.I was deeply disappointed in the lack of support for me when those comments were made. So if he wants to hang around with ye at matches in section o so be it but I will never go near that end of the ground again while he is still alive. He is a thug and bully and I will never forgive him and he's the chief reason for the hatred towards remnants of section o.
    As for the rest of ye its not personal.
    Last edited by Martinho II; 13/04/2017 at 7:25 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    185 Posts
    Right I have enough of your ****e. Its aimed at me considering I'm not the full shilling. Your dad worked with my brother so how on earth are you related to your father as ye are chalk and cheese. You are a horrible piece of work.
    Please note the letter s at the end of the word *****s I used in my original post. So while you are included in that group, it's not all about you. There's at least 10 other dispicable ***** involved. I think it's time you stopped feeling so important about these things. Your tenner at the gate is no more or less important than anyone elses. You seem to believe that the club/Section O/buses/The Supporters Club/whatever can't survive without you.

As for your claim above about abuse being handed out in Athlone earlier in the year. There was only one person here handing out abuse and it was your good self Marty. Making a ****ing show of yourself. "**** De Town" you shouted on numerous occasions. Embarrassing.

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    Mod note: Lads this thread can't go the same path as previous ones. Personal abuse on here is not acceptable. If you have an issue with each other then if you can't ignore each other then take it to PM please.
    Upwards to the vanguard where the pressure is too high.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Longfordian View Post
    Mod note: Lads this thread can't go the same path as previous ones. Personal abuse on here is not acceptable. If you have an issue with each other then if you can't ignore each other then take it to PM please.
    Best off bin it, just wanted to get the message around on the discount for Cobh which I knew a number of posters on here would be eligible for and I'm pretty sure they've all seen it now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast