First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    184 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RathfarnhamHoop View Post
    Drogheda United and Home Farm just announced a link for the next 5 years
    This is great stuff!

That's 3 of the big 6 schoolboy clubs that have a formal link now with a LOI club:
    Bray Wanderers - St Joey's boys
    St Pat's - Belvo
    Drodheda - HomeFarm

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    171 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Philosophizer View Post
    This is great stuff!

That's 3 of the big 6 schoolboy clubs that have a formal link now with a LOI club:
    St Pat's - Belvo
    Drodheda - HomeFarm
    who would the other 3 be? st kevins and?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    184 Posts
    St Kevin's, Stella Maris and Cherry Orchard

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    184 Posts
    Drogheda United and Home Farm just announced a link for the next 5 years
    Has there been any official announcement about this? Haven't seen anything online

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    171 Posts
    St Kevin's, Stella Maris and Cherry Orchard
    They're going to struggle to find club to partner with cause all the Dublin clubs seem pretty set with:
    UCD-Mount Merrion
    Cabo, Bohs, Shels, Rovers- Their own schoolboy sections
    Pats- Belvo & Crumlin
    Even Drogheda- Home Farm
    Unless you convince one of the clubs with their own setup or that already have a link to partner with you you're looking at wexford, Dundalk, Longford,etc being the next closest clubs which is very far from ideal.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    171 Posts
    Has there been any official announcement about this? Haven't seen anything online
    http://www.homefarmfc.yourclub.ie/news/10405

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    184 Posts
    They're going to struggle to find club to partner with cause all the Dublin clubs seem pretty set with:
    UCD-Mount Merrion
    Cabo, Bohs, Shels, Rovers- Their own schoolboy sections
    Pats- Belvo & Crumlin
    Even Drogheda- Home Farm
    Unless you convince one of the clubs with their own setup or that already have a link to partner with you you're looking at wexford, Dundalk, Longford,etc being the next closest clubs which is very far from ideal.
    I don't necessarily agree that because a club already has schoolboy teams they can't link with other clubs. Pats and Drogheda already have schoolboy teams playing in the DDSL for eg, but it's still v beneficial for them to partner with Belvo and Home Farm respectively.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    What do these link-up deals usually consist of?
    oh boy I'm not good at football forums

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    171 Posts
    I don't necessarily agree that because a club already has schoolboy teams they can't link with other clubs. Pats and Drogheda already have schoolboy teams playing in the DDSL for eg, but it's still v beneficial for them to partner with Belvo and Home Farm respectively.
    It doesnt but looking at those clubs Cabo are built off their schoolboy setup so wont link with anyone, Rovers are developing a full-time academy so they wont, Bohs seem to be really beginning to push their schoolboy section and Shels are quite proud of theirs so I cant see them linking but those two might.
    Do Pats still have their schoolboy teams or are they fully merged with crumlin now?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    288 Posts
    This is great stuff!

St Pat's - Belvo
    Drodheda - HomeFarm
    How is this great? It's surely completely against the spirit of what was being worked towards.

11. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gufcfan View Post
    How is this great? It's surely completely against the spirit of what was being worked towards.
    Exactly. I think it's a total cop-out from the clubs who don't want the responsibility, or financial burden, of having to look after an academy.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    184 Posts
    I don't believe so.

Those big Dublin schoolboy clubs aren't going to sit back and fall into obscurity while the LOI National Leagues teams take the best talent. They're going to fight the LOI clubs for the signature of every talented kid in Dublin (and well beyond). Given the renown of these schoolboy clubs, I'd fancy them to attract the best kids over the LOI academies. And before anyone jumps down my throat, I know the best option for 99% of those kids would be to join the LOI club.

Even growing up in Meath in the 90s, every kid who was half decent knew who the big 6 were by the age of about 12 or 13, and knew they were the golden ticket to getting the best coaching and possibly "making it".

LOI teams are better off partnering with these schoolboy clubs rather than fighting against them. It's a fight they're not going to win, and would only end up creating bad blood. Being realistic, those Dublin schoolboy clubs are far more respected than the underage teams of Dublin-based LOI clubs.

It also comes down to a matter of resources. Many of those well known Dublin schoolboy clubs have good grounds and training pitches in established locations in the city. Some LOI clubs don't own any training facilities or underage pitches, and even if they found such a property for sale, they couldn't afford to buy it. What looks more impressive... Bohs underage teams playing on mediocre pitches in the Phoenix park, with no dressing rooms, or St Kevin's with a fancy clubhouse, full size all weathers and a lovely pitch etc.

14. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    171 Posts
    I don't believe so.

Those big Dublin schoolboy clubs aren't going to sit back and fall into obscurity while the LOI National Leagues teams take the best talent. They're going to fight the LOI clubs for the signature of every talented kid in Dublin (and well beyond). Given the renown of these schoolboy clubs, I'd fancy them to attract the best kids over the LOI academies. And before anyone jumps down my throat, I know the best option for 99% of those kids would be to join the LOI club.

Even growing up in Meath in the 90s, every kid who was half decent knew who the big 6 were by the age of about 12 or 13, and knew they were the golden ticket to getting the best coaching and possibly "making it".

LOI teams are better off partnering with these schoolboy clubs rather than fighting against them. It's a fight they're not going to win, and would only end up creating bad blood. Being realistic, those Dublin schoolboy clubs are far more respected than the underage teams of Dublin-based LOI clubs.

It also comes down to a matter of resources. Many of those well known Dublin schoolboy clubs have good grounds and training pitches in established locations in the city. Some LOI clubs don't own any training facilities or underage pitches, and even if they found such a property for sale, they couldn't afford to buy it. What looks more impressive... Bohs underage teams playing on mediocre pitches in the Phoenix park, with no dressing rooms, or St Kevin's with a fancy clubhouse, full size all weathers and a lovely pitch etc.
    I'd tend to agree with this. Most clubs only have the national stage to offer and maybe deals with the odd 3rd level scholarship. The only clubs that can compete with the big schoolboy clubs in the Dublin area in terms of coaching, facilities, name, etc, are rovers with the new development in Roadstone and coaches like Duff and the fact that just now rovers and dundalk and maybe Cork are the 3 clubs in Ireland that everyone knows, that's going to be a big draw for any kid so they can compete with the big schoolboy clubs. Also rovers have teams competing in the top deal divisions all the way through already which will help too.
    If you take Bray as the prototype they've got a full schoolboy section now and a new training ground to attract players. If all clubs can do that from their links then they'll be a success.
    I think just now clubs have to decide do they want to go on their own and know 100% of profits are theirs but so is all the risk of link up and cut the risk but also the benefits. Either way is fine, both rovers and bray are doing well with the way they've chosen but whichever they're going to go they have to go all in and my only fear is clubs will go short term and it'll all go belly up in a few years.

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    535 Posts
    speaking of Home Farm do they still have a senior team at all? manys the good night I had in Whitehall!
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    171 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinho II View Post
    speaking of Home Farm do they still have a senior team at all? manys the good night I had in Whitehall!
    They do but I don't think they're any good 2nd division LSL Sunday i think.

18. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    66 Posts
    UCD keeper on socceram this morning https://twitter.com/socceram/status/853194972107079684

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    171 Posts
    Irish u 18's squad announced today and 8/18 players are with LOI clubs which is great. Seems the leagues are having an impact already.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    288 Posts
    Irish u 18's squad announced today and 8/18 players are with LOI clubs which is great. Seems the leagues are having an impact already.
    Those numbers will swell up through the grades when the u15 league is going. Hard for some promising talents to break into the international setup if they're not already at the traditional nurseries by then. That won't be long changing.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    171 Posts
    Those numbers will swell up through the grades when the u15 league is going. Hard for some promising talents to break into the international setup if they're not already at the traditional nurseries by then. That won't be long changing.
    Yeah Irish u15's are all playing for the usual schoolboy clubs but I suspect in 2/3 years time it will be all LOI clubs and English clubs. Preferably with more from LOI clubs than English.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    26 Posts
    Rovers announce partnership with Corduff FC https://www.facebook.com/cordufffc/p...066767/?type=3

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast