Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: Uefa president wants transfer reforms to end big club domination

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts

Uefa president wants transfer reforms to end big club domination

In the season that they guarantee 4 places in the CL for bigger clubs they want to limit clubs' squads to reduce dominance.

TBH I am all in favour of anything that stops the rot but it's like the right hand of UEFA doesn't know what the left hand is doing.

Quote Originally Posted by BBC
    Aleksander Ceferin, president of European football's governing body Uefa, says a "luxury tax" on rich clubs and squad limits could also help to stop elite clubs dominating the game.

He said the "excessive concentration of talent with a few teams" had to change.

"Uefa has a duty to protect the whole of football and not just the elite," Ceferin told a conference in Lisbon.
    http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/39355514
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    779 Posts
    I don't believe that for a minute. For a start who is going to impose this "luxury tax" ? UEFA or the respective Governments ? Both would be illegal I suspect. Smaller squads for everyone would help a greater distribution of the talent but it can't be just directed as certain clubs as that again I'd say wouldn't stand up in court as discriminatory. As you say on the one hand, they want to allow more of the stronger nations' teams participate but reduce the power of those clubs. The trouble is the couch potato wants to see Real Madrid, Man U and Barcelona and has limited interest in a game between Dortmund and Fenerbahce. UEFA will follow the money and that's where the big clubs are. They have created a golem and there's no way out of it.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.