Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Republic of Ireland v Iceland - Tuesday, 28th March 2017 - Friendly 2017

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    He wasn't obscured by the wall at all.
    Well he was clearly obscured by the wall until the point that it was past the wall. By then it was too late. Completely blameless in my opinion. Strange thing is, if he just didn't move at all it'd probably have looked like he had even less chance of reaching it.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,747 Posts
    I don't agree at all! He saw it really early. He moved really early.
    Last edited by Stuttgart88; 29/03/2017 at 10:53 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Desperately crying out for him.

However I'd be critical of O'Neill for two things:

Brady can't influence play from left-back as well as he can from LM. Ward or Cunningham should have been picked at LB to allow Brady to play LM and to link with Hendrick.
    Everyone can see McGeady has been enjoying a more central role at Preston. This is where he should have started in my opinion.

Failing that Brady should have been given license to play further forward.
    Agree with all of that for sure. McGeady should be able to contribute more from the right but it's clear at this stage that he just doesn't. Even in his more orthodox winger days he was always far more productive on the left cutting in. It was a total waste of an opportunity. McClean running around like a headless chicken doesn't serve much purpose up front either, pointless experiment in my opinion. He's just not a striker.

Back to Hoolahan briefly, I'm not sure if it's been mentioned but the shortlist for our goal of the year spoke volumes. Hoolahan to the fore of all three - his brilliantly taken goal against Sweden, his inch perfect cross for Brady and pass for McClean. I shudder to think what kind of a year we would have had without him.

4. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    I don't agree at all!
    Sure that's what it's all about.

At least we know it's what you actually believe, and not just opportunistic or agenda based.

6. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    He moved really early.
    Looking at Danny's pictures on page five, he does make a movement to his left before it reaches the wall. He's anticipating where it's going. I just don't think he can fully commit as it looks like it's going to hit the wall, which it should have, and therefore he'd have to be prepared for a deflection or whatever.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,747 Posts
    Yeah, for me the only mitigant is that he instinctively recognised a deflection risk.

On the plus side, he dealt with a dangerous in-swinger very well in the second half, not getting tempted to anticipate a touch and letting the ball make its way into his arms. Randolph made the mistake of anticipating a touch against Leicester. There was no touch and the ball went straight into the middle of the goal. It's not easy to call those situations right but it's one thing I always notice.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,747 Posts
    Just for the sake of mischief: was the ball that exposed Egan the kind of ball that Whelan mops up every match (before failing to carry it forward into a wide open space and playing a slow conservative pass to a CB!)?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Very possibly. But I'd say any one of Whelan, McCarthy or even Meyler might have offered more protection. Hendrick and Hourihane were always unlikely to be as defensively assured.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nugget View Post
    As a positive to the game I thought O'Kane was superb when he came on.
    It was a brilliant cameo. He did everything we've been crying out for our more established midfielders to do. Simply put, make yourself available for a pass and use the ball constructively.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    McGeady did play more central in the 2nd half, and he contributed even less. He looked tired again. I really dont see what we get from him, and his purple patch for Preston is probably more to do with the level he is playing at than anything else otherwise its just one of those weird enigmas why he can't transfer any club form to International.

I think there is justification in being critical of O'Neill at this stage. Going on the last two performances we will end up drawing all our remaining world cup games and/or losing 1-0/0-1.

I read an article recently about wingers not really looking up or aiming when they cross teh majority of the time, I think it was hunts article I referred to a few sundays ago, well hunts delivery was ok. At the moment it doesn't seem to be working at all, so is it all down to the poor positioning of our players? Surely you look up the odd time and nail it on the head? Either way its scary, ball after ball over the last two games never looked like going on anyones head.

I was flabbergasted the last day when Christie came on that with all the long balls we never had anyone the near side of the post to flick on, and the ball landed short for a welsh clearance, it happened a couple of times again last night. We clearly haven't been practising these set pieces, if O'Neills emphasis is so much on set-pieces etc we have an awful lot to work on, and why have we not thus far?

If there is anything we can learn from Iceland, its that when you take your chance, like a set-piece, you defend resolutely and stay organised, closing out the game and holding your lead, without much fuss. They showed that against us last night and against England. I think their system suits playing british and Irish teams, but less so proper passing continental teams.
    Last edited by paul_oshea; 29/03/2017 at 11:31 AM.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

13. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    I wouldn't really judge our set pieces on the last two games. We were without most of our heavy hitters in that regard and playing two teams who were never going to be bullied in that department anyway. My criticism would be that we hadn't anything else planned to compensate.

15. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    It was a brilliant cameo. He did everything we've been crying out for our more established midfielders to do. Simply put, make yourself available for a pass and use the ball constructively.
    I thought Gleeson started the better actually. I thought he looked far more composed on the ball than hourihane. And to think some were calling for him the last day I've always thought Gleeson was a tidy football good at keeping momentum going anytime I've watched him.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    I wouldn't really judge our set pieces on the last two games. We were without most of our heavy hitters in that regard and playing two teams who were never going to be bullied in that department anyway. My criticism would be that we hadn't anything else planned to compensate.
    It doesn't matter, our game plan was to throw the long ball and cross cross cross, we did both abjectly. If thats our plan then we should have some plays and some organisation. We had nothing and these/this were clearly our "plan" as you call it.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,747 Posts
    I got an email slagging Christie for his aimless long throws on Friday. I thought it was more Walters and Long's fault for not being in a place to get a flick. They clearly hadn't been practiced.

As for O'Kane, his composure on the ball encouraged others to move ahead of him. That type of play holds things together and makes a team look like a team with a purpose. From my seat in the East Upper you can see a good team on the ball. Germany advanced as a unit. Even Wales did on Friday. When our midfielders get the ball our full backs often stay put in expectation of being the first option hit, before chipping the ball "into the channels". A good ball playing midfielder gives CBs the confidence to hold a high line and full backs to advance and it was only when O'Kane and Gleeson came on did it look to me like we were a coherent attacking eleven.

Ronnie Whelan wrote before the Euros that we'd miss O'Kane (was he injured or just culled?). I saw his point at the time and see it now too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    I thought Gleeson started the better actually. I thought he looked far more composed on the ball than hourihane. And to think some were calling for him the last day I've always thought Gleeson was a tidy football good at keeping momentum going anytime I've watched him.
    You don't think Hourihane's form at club level entitled him to an opportunity?

Gleeson played well too but he pass selection was far more cautious than O'Kane's.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    It doesn't matter, our game plan was to throw the long ball and cross cross cross, we did both abjectly. If thats our plan then we should have some plays and some organisation. We had nothing and these/this were clearly our "plan" as you call it.
    Wouldn't disagree with that. Just think we'd be a bigger threat from set pieces with the likes of Duffy and Clark aggressively attacking Brady's deliveries.

21. Thanks From:

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    918 Posts
    He might mean vs Wales, TOWK was wanting him thrown in against Wales untested, which looking at last night, MON got spot on.

23. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Ah yes, fair point I guess. And very unlike Paul to use the benefit of hindsight.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts

Gleeson played well too but he pass selection was far more cautious than O'Kane's.
    Funny thing is people complained about O'Dowda getting included, and he is the only one who has looked like a premiership capable player when he has come on. MON and Keane can obviously spot this as you'd expect.

I've watched both, and I've always felt out of all midfielders never to get a chance Gleeson has been the best I've spotted and always felt he could probably move up the ladder again, for whatever reason like others before he just hasn't been lucky enough to be in a championship promotion winning team a mon avis.

I've learnt not to get carried away with cameos and/or first couple of appearances, cos the players have something to prove and generally they are in less important games, then when regulars theyir performance levels drop, just look at hendrick and heaslip in the rugby, its more apparent in rugby though.

I also don't think anyone really staked a claim last night, horgan was good, odowda was ok in patches, hayes made himself busy, but nothing none of the regular first teamers don't give us. We really need a decent striker, or one that can at least position himself well. The following move where o'dowda anticapated the tackle and bent his left foot to touch the ball on the outside and slip it by the icelandic defender was also quality. These are the things mon and keane must spot and look out for when deciding who gets preference and is closer to first team.
    Last edited by paul_oshea; 29/03/2017 at 12:14 PM.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CraftyToePoke View Post
    He might mean vs Wales, TOWK was wanting him thrown in against Wales untested, which looking at last night, MON got spot on.
    and bttw. and mark678910 and a couple of others too. Its funny when i see certain players i can generally see when they will fit in well but i didnt think so much with hourihane. Still time to be hopefully proven wrong. He is very small too, doesn't suit playing that deep should have been further forward, but on the ball he didnt show much.

That one through pass to o'dowda from o'kane top of boot was lovely. Its so simple, not really just looks it, and works so effectively.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast