Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Republic of Ireland v Iceland - Tuesday, 28th March 2017 - Friendly 2017

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Two and a Half Corkmen

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,304 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOneWhoKnocks View Post
    Between the baffling call up of Stephen Gleeson and O'Neill's body language I am starting to get the impression that Hourihane probably won't be starting tomorrow.

http://www.the42.ie/ireland-iceland-...08821-Mar2017/
    What exactly about the manager's body language has led you to that conclusion?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    51 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Real ale Madrid View Post
    If both Iceland and ourselves end up 2nd in their respective groups then seeding for the play-offs becomes important. As it currently stands Iceland would be seeded 3 (UEFA Cola Cola world ranking 13) and Republic Of Ireland 4 (UEFA CC WR 14) but with Slovakia 5,(UEFA CC WR 15) and Bosnia 6, (who I think will finish ahead of Greece) (UEFA CC WR 18) just in behind - making a win tonight of absolute paramount importance, to solidify our place in the possible potential top band of seeds for that draw, if possibly we are in it.

I wonder if there is a term for co-efficient nerds - Full kit RANKers?
    What rankings points did Ireland pick up by drawing with Wales? I think Iceland are just ahead of us in the last rankings list?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    What exactly about the manager's body language has led you to that conclusion?
    He namechecked Horgan and Boyle specifically when he referred to players who could make their debut.

“You don’t want to give out caps just because they are there, you want them to earn it. But (of course) for experience you would want that.

Some players who have just come into the squad, like the two lads at Preston (Horgan and Boyle), have acquitted themselves very well in training and they are basically just starting out in their international careers.
    And he seems reticent to dish out praise for Hourihane whenever he is asked about him.

The fact he called up Gleeson compounds my belief. I mean O'Kane didn't even make the bench for the Wales game and now you have him, Gleeson, Meyler, Hendrick and Hourihane competing for 2 or 3 midfield positions.

I would've thought adding Cunningham or Doherty would've been of more pressing importance.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    165 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    It'll be broadcast live by the following channels (in blue):

Those colour-coded grey represent later highlights programmes.
    nice one - handy site too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    I'm not really expecting Hourihane to start either. I'd be happy if he got some game time to get the ball rolling for him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Brady will be captain tomorrow night, but that's not to say Brady will captain the team long-term in Coleman's absence: http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2017/...-robbie-brady/

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Leahy
    Looking ahead to the Iceland game tomorrow night, the manager confirmed that Robbie Brady would captain the side in Coleman’s absence and also suggested that there would be some new caps handed out – but only to those deserving of an international cap.

"Robbie will play and he will be the captain of the team but I haven’t given it any thought on this moment.

"After tomorrow evening, there’s a long time until the next game so I will give it some thought then."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,626 Posts
    You'd have to think Walters, Whelan or McClean would be in the running for the honour on a long term basis, in addition to Brady. O'Shea too but probably not a guaranteed starter still?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Put in Egan, Horgan, Westwood, and some other new faces, urges one columnist.
    http://www.the42.ie/5-ireland-player...09561-Mar2017/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    487 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    You'd have to think Walters, Whelan or McClean would be in the running for the honour on a long term basis, in addition to Brady. O'Shea too but probably not a guaranteed starter still?
    I'd lean towards Ciaran Clark. That could explain why O'Neill is saying it isn't permanent
    Bring Back Belfast Celtic F.C.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    Don't see McClean as captain material to be honest, for pretty obvious reasons. Clark and Keogh are both used to carrying the armband at club level, Clark possibly more sure of his place in the short-term but maybe not after Friday night. Keogh continues to defy the odds at international level. Whelan an obvious choice alright but again not sure of his place with everybody available.

Would have loved to have seen McCarthy make himself a shoe in for the role (as a lot of Everton fans suggested he might at club level at one point) but it hasn't happened and you can't rely on him to stay fit in any case. In short, I don't know who should get it. Maybe Big Jon as it does appear he'll start when available and he is definitely leader material.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    Maybe Big Jon as it does appear he'll start when available and he is definitely leader material.
    Big Jon as in Jonser Keane?

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Hardly any interest in this game in Iceland, the football fraternity were brought to wringer last Friday, managed to escape from the hangman and pick-pocketed him at the same time. They had a really difficult game in Albania, outplayed by an emerging fired-up Kosovo but left with the 3 points, plundered by Gylfi.
    Overly optimistic headline read the next day, "God help us if Gylfi gets injured" - not even God could fill that gap in the present starting team.
    The 2 main strikers are out injured (long term) and Gylfi's gone home. Apart from Gylfi the team are functional, though still well able to compete in their WCQ group. That's a credit to other factors that constitute a winning resolute team.
    Some mention of changing the record v the Irish (9 - 3 -0), but I doubt if the team will be that fired up.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Cannot understand why he hasn't called up Doherty given that he was on standby and that he called up Gleeson. Very short at right back if anything happens Christie, would have thought this was an ideal time to give him some minutes.

15. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    If, as is now widely feared, Coleman will not play again this year, then in due course O’Neill will have a decision to make about who will become his first-choice right full-back for the remainder of the World Cup qualifying campaign, with Derby County’s Cyrus Christie — who came on for the stricken captain against Wales — the leading candidate.

“I haven’t really given it a great deal of thought yet,” said the manager. “Seamus is very hard to replace, he’s one of the best full-backs in Europe and he’s been inspirational really, especially since he’s taken over as captain. So he will be very hard to replace.
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/s...ow-446309.html

Well, since he neglected to call up Doherty, Christie is the replacement by default.

If he wants players to work for it then he could've given Christie and Doherty a half each.

Or at least given Doherty 15-30 minutes to dip his toes in the water.

What more does he have to do? He was voted Wolves best player last season and has probably been their second best player this season after Helder Costa.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    285 Posts
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/s...ow-446309.html

Well, since he neglected to call up Doherty, Christie is the replacement by default.

If he wants players to work for it then he could've given Christie and Doherty a half each.

Or at least given Doherty 15-30 minutes to dip his toes in the water.

What more does he have to do? He was voted Wolves best player last season and has probably been their second best player this season after Helder Costa.
    Whatever about Doherty (he should be in the squad for this match) you would have to wonder what Greg Cunningham has done wrong to not have been called up for the provisional squad. I would also have liked to have seen a little bit more from Pilkington and it is also a pity that Liam Kelly is injured.
    "We lost because we didn't win"- Ronaldo

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    He namechecked Horgan and Boyle specifically when he referred to players who could make their debut.

And he seems reticent to dish out praise for Hourihane whenever he is asked about him.

The fact he called up Gleeson compounds my belief. I mean O'Kane didn't even make the bench for the Wales game and now you have him, Gleeson, Meyler, Hendrick and Hourihane competing for 2 or 3 midfield positions.

I would've thought adding Cunningham or Doherty would've been of more pressing importance.
    That's not really body language, is it? It's just language.

19. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,689 Posts
    It pains me, but I'm also at a loss about Doherty and Cunningham's omissions. That said, I can see a situation in a year's time when both have played their way in and we'll wonder what the fuss was about.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    We do have two more friendlies (after tonight) before the Austria game so hopefully.

22. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Balls.ie look back at previous games we've played against Iceland: https://www.balls.ie/football/roy-ke...-349474-349474

Quote Originally Posted by Connor Neville

But we are anxious. Anyone who thinks playing Iceland in football spells good news for Irish football has forgotten their history. Whenever the Ireland football team has engaged with Iceland in the past, it has brought us nothing but trouble. They have a habit of showing up whenever there's dissension in our camp.

Who remembers the Icelandic Triangular Tournament in 1986, our first trophy in international football? Notwithstanding its status as our first ever trophy in senior football, it is true to say the nation has failed to cherish the prize.

Big Jack had only managed Ireland in two matches before they jetted out to Iceland. He hadn't even gotten around to discarding the League of Ireland lads. Pat Byrne came on for Chris Hughton at half-time against Iceland.

However, the trouble started before the tournament began. Our smooth centre-half David O'Leary had booked a family holiday. The prospect of playing in front of 4,000 spectators in Reykjavik wasn't sufficiently alluring to persuade him to cancel the holiday.

Big Jack got the hump and told him he could forget about international football unless he showed up. O'Leary didn't warm to Jackie's blackmail and told him to shove it.

David O'Leary was blacklisted by the House of Anti-Big Jack Activities. He hardly kicked a ball until Genoa. Happily, the ball he kicked there was a rather important one.

But that wasn't even the most historically contentious Ireland-Iceland match. A decade later, Mick McCarthy had only gotten his feet under the desk as Ireland manager. For the France '98 campaign, he had to manage the transition between one generation of players (those that he played with) and another younger generation.

The group, loaded down with unfashionable eastern European teams, was hardly intimidating. But faith in the team was not what it had been.

Mick McCarthy got no sort of honeymoon in the Ireland job. Straight away, he presided over six straight friendly losses. It was a bleak time and the fear was we'd have to get used to this new reality.

Roy Keane played in the opener against Russia. Ireland slumped to a 2-0 loss and Keane was red carded near the end for a taking a frustrated hack at a Russian winger.

He skipped the rest of the friendlies that summer. He gave the US Cup a miss and nor did he feature in the opening two qualifying matches.

Contentiously, he don't tell McCarthy in advance that he wasn't bothering with the US Cup. He said later on, in an interview with Paul Kimmage, that he tried to contact him but admitted he probably didn't try hard enough. Man United had won the Double and Keane said that he couldn't hack travelling around the world to play in a tournament he didn't respect.

For the tabloid press, he was the Stephen Ireland of 1996. Prior to Iceland, Keane had played four out of 22 games for Ireland. Unsurprisingly, the word went out that he cared about playing for Man United more than Ireland.

In future years, Cathal Dervan would be pegged as the ringleader of the anti-Roy Keane pack. Before the Iceland game, he urged the Lansdowne Road crowd to let Keane know what they thought of his absence.

The crowd acquiesced. Keane's first few touches were greeted boos from around the ground.

Tony O'Donoghue was writing for the then Cork Examiner in 1996. Without naming anyone, he laid into the tabloid media for whipping up hostility towards Keane.

"I told my journalistic colleagues before the game that if Keane got a hostile reception they should bear much of the responsibility for that and at least have the decency to be ashamed.

It was no less shocking when he was booed. It was the saddest sound in Irish sport.

Keane was the best player by a country mile during a depressing 90 minutes for Irish football against Iceland. That 0-0 draw could yet do us untold damage and hinder our World Cup qualification hopes...."

The boo boys didn't quite have the stamina. Their energy was sapped by the stultifying nature of the fare on offer. Keane, deployed at centre half to fill a gap (he played there for Man United on occasion the previous season), emerged as Ireland's most impressive performer.

Iceland were stubborn and held Ireland out. The crowd of 33,000 didn't have much to work with and created little noise.

But in the dying embers of the game, a salute of 'Keano, Keano' went up. As John Lee in the Irish Independent wrote:

"In the end, he gradually won over the fans and the only chant heard from the crowd as the match headed for a dull and disappointing 0-0 draw was 'Keano, Keano'."

Noel Dunne, also in the Indo, said that the press corps were big enough to overlook their differences with Keane in awarding him Man of the Match.

"The announcement came over the PA that the print media, which does include a fair number of our knowledgeable cross-channel colleagues, plus a section of the Irish contingent which is hated, or at least disliked, by the man in question, had voted Roy Keane the Man of the Match."

Five years ago, in 2012, in a Q & A on the Football Writers Association website, Cathal Dervan said that falling out with Keane was his biggest mistake.

"Falling out with Roy Keane at a time when I thought it was clever to be opinionated and loud. I’m still opinionated but just glad I had the chance to make amends with Roy, with the help of Sunderland press guru Louise Wanshaw, a couple of years back in Portugal."

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast