Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 season

International Prospect outspoken's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hollocaine View Post
    If anything, Skinner is least culpable for what's gone on so far this season. It's in outfield positions where change is needed more. We've no real options in most positions so don't expect wholesale changes. Sully hasn't been in great form either. He obviously should start but we would have picked up at least 3 more points if he was sharper in front of goal. It's indicative of the month we had that he was awarded POTM. Bar a hat trick against Ragball Rovers, he hasn't covered himself in glory.
    He hasn't been great no but he's worked his socks off in every game unlike a lot of them. He must be frustrated with the ball been launched at him when he's up against centre halfs twice his size.

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    535 Posts
    Just heard while waiting in the train station in Longford that Noel Haverty is out another six weeks which is a massive blow but good to see a lot of our players are fully fit for tommorrow night.
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinho II View Post
    Just heard while waiting in the train station in Longford that Noel Haverty is out another six weeks which is a massive blow but good to see a lot of our players are fully fit for tommorrow night.
    Claiming to be fit anyway, looking at Don when he came on last week there's no way he was even 50% back but we need him badly so here's hoping it goes well

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    204 Posts
    Well it was nice to have that win. Horrible performance though.

Forgot to mention: Shoutout to all a ye that think Kevin O'Connor's legs are gone - you're still all wrong! What a goal!
    Sporting F*ck All!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by L.T.F.C. View Post
    Well it was nice to have that win. Horrible performance though.

Forgot to mention: Shoutout to all a ye that think Kevin O'Connor's legs are gone - you're still all wrong! What a goal!
    Performance wasn't vintage although wouldn't call it horrible but my first thought driving home after the match was how we all got carried away after beating athlone 3-0 and hoping this isn't going to be similar. A win over Cobh is required or tonight means nothing. Kev had his best game of the season tonight but shutout to Daniel O'Reilly who has been our best player this season, some transformation from the lad released by cousins last season. Big future ahead of him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    204 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by outspoken View Post
    Performance wasn't vintage although wouldn't call it horrible but my first thought driving home after the match was how we all got carried away after beating athlone 3-0 and hoping this isn't going to be similar. A win over Cobh is required or tonight means nothing. Kev had his best game of the season tonight but shutout to Daniel O'Reilly who has been our best player this season, some transformation from the lad released by cousins last season. Big future ahead of him.
    Daniel O'Reilly was fantastic last night, great job at CB.
    Sporting F*ck All!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    105 Posts
    It's been a long wait, but great to get the win at home. Curran's first goal was a great finish, as was Kev's goal. We'll need to improve against Cobh, but hopefully last nights result will be the start of a few wins.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    535 Posts
    delighted for Enda Curran as he shows great commitment for us. He has being getting better and better with every passing game from what I have seen of him. he comes from good football stock as his elder brother Nicky Curran played with Galway Utd 11 years ago with the likes of one Eric Lavine!

thought Danny O Reilly has great organistional ability. at one stage I thought he was going to fight with one of our own defenders but you know what that sort of spirit is badly needed. Please god that the next two games will go well even tonight as it will only increase confidence.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    812 Posts
    That's a great result tonight lads. Looking forward to the inevitable let down in Cobh 😂

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    535 Posts
    We were fierce impressive tonight. Jack Brady yet again was superb. He made some superb saves and made some great catches.
    Also Boyne was superb.he made an excellent sliding challenge to win the ball. He got a beautiful header for the first.
    Mcglade can be frustrating to watch but made a great run off the wing for a second after a richocet.
    I notice with us lately that the more we get behind them more and more the more they play better!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    185 Posts
    2 good wins in 3 days, although Shels offered little on both occasions. Boyne's goal last night was a nice one, bullet header at the near post from a Chambers cross. Brady made 2 very good saves at 1-0 but apart from that we were never really threatened and always looked in control.

Hopefully those 2 wins will help spring board our season, although Cobh away will be very tough. Henderson probably the best manager in the division and he has them playing good ball. Apparently they were very unlucky to lose in Waterford a few weeks ago so it won't be easy down there.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by De Town View Post
    2 good wins in 3 days, although Shels offered little on both occasions. Boyne's goal last night was a nice one, bullet header at the near post from a Chambers cross. Brady made 2 very good saves at 1-0 but apart from that we were never really threatened and always looked in control.

Hopefully those 2 wins will help spring board our season, although Cobh away will be very tough. Henderson probably the best manager in the division and he has them playing good ball. Apparently they were very unlucky to lose in Waterford a few weeks ago so it won't be easy down there.
    Hendos done a great job down there. Saw he tweeted last night saying he was extremely disappointed with their performance against waterford in the cup game so I'd expect a massive reaction from his players on Saturday similar to when he tweeted after the thrashing they received from Cabinteely.

Next 4 games are make or break for our season IMO. Cobh a, athlone h, CABO a, UCD h. After those games we go to Waterford so we really would want to be winning all 4 of these games

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    185 Posts
    So our season is officially done and we haven't even reached the summer break. We have (at least) the second biggest budget in the league and we're struggling to get past a team in the table who are literally not trying some weeks. Pathetic stuff. The worst thing is, the rest of the teams in the division are really, really poor. There's no stand out team amongst them yet we're still one of the worst of a very bad bunch. Tony Cousins was not and is not a good football manager, but when given a decent squad of players in this division he at least had us competitive. And they were much stronger versions of the first division than this one is too. Mathews is a fraud and the sooner he's gone the better. Although at this stage it's not going to make an ounce of difference to this season.
    Last edited by De Town; 14/05/2017 at 11:04 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by De Town View Post
    So our season is officially done and we haven't even reached the summer break. We have (at least) the second biggest budget in the league and we're struggling to get past a team in the table who are literally not trying some weeks. Pathetic stuff. The worst thing is, the rest of the teams in the division are really, really poor. There's no stand out team amongst them yet we're still one of the worst of a very bad bunch. Tony Cousins was not and is not a good football manager, but when given a decent squad of players in this division he at least had us competitive. And they were much stronger versions of the first division than this one is too. Mathews is a fraud and the sooner he's gone the better. Although at this stage it's not going to make an ounce of difference to this season.
    Hard to argue any of your points there. I've defend Mathews and the coaching staff up until now and while I missed Saturday's game the reports were that the players didn't seem to know what they were doing or what the plan was, I haven't seen that since the home defeats to CABO and Cobh so for that to raise its head again at this stage of the season suggests the work isn't been done on the training ground and that lies with the management team, who to their credit are trying everything to fix the problems but it's just not working. I do feel the players we signed aren't good enough, Dylan McGlade in particular looks an absolute dud. Like you said there's no point in changing the management team now but that raises the question of what we do next? Can we justify paying out the second highest wages in the division for what at this moment in time is the 2nd worse team in the league? Should we go near enough amateur for the rest of the season and play the 19's? If big clubs like Pats come down next season is that a route we should go down for a few years Coz let's face it the crowds can't get much lower if anything a few locals in the team might bring out a few new faces. Not saying that is the route we should go down but interested to see what people think we should do for the rest of the season if we lose on Friday.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    535 Posts
    to be honest what has happened so far this season I was expecting this to be honest. I am enjoying this season much better tbh. At least we broke our home jinks and won a few away matches.

But it got out of control with us being second favorites. We were never in the running in the first place and wont be next year. Its all about rebuilding Im afraid.But the club better get its act together in getting more footfall through the place as theres no atmosphere or life in the place any more.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts
    Marty, are you for real??!! Or was that one of the best rustles this forum has ever seen?! There’s nothing enjoyable about this season. At least last year we were in the Premier, so although it was grim we were still able to watch decent players in opposition teams. This year we’re losing to glorified under-21 teams.

Are you honestly accepting that losing twice to a very average UCD team is ok? Or taking one point from two games against f..kin Cabo is acceptable?! It’s a dismal return for a team with a good blend of youth and experience to mount a serious promotion push this season. Waterford are really average as well so the top 3 are gonna have a good battle for top spot if things continue. We should be in the mix as well. Instead, we’re nowhere.

Nothing summed up the season more that the demoralizing site of McGlade putting on his gloves on Saturday as he was about to come on as sub on a mild May evening. Embarrassing.

The only way to improve the ‘footfall’ is by improving what happens on the pitch. People want to see good performances and goals. In turn, the attendance/atmosphere might pick up.

The pitch at the CCS is good, facilities are fairly good overall and I presume the player's needs/payments are being met. On that basis, the club has it's act together. The team do not

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hollocaine View Post
    Marty, are you for real??!! Or was that one of the best rustles this forum has ever seen?! There’s nothing enjoyable about this season. At least last year we were in the Premier, so although it was grim we were still able to watch decent players in opposition teams. This year we’re losing to glorified under-21 teams.

Are you honestly accepting that losing twice to a very average UCD team is ok? Or taking one point from two games against f..kin Cabo is acceptable?! It’s a dismal return for a team with a good blend of youth and experience to mount a serious promotion push this season. Waterford are really average as well so the top 3 are gonna have a good battle for top spot if things continue. We should be in the mix as well. Instead, we’re nowhere.

Nothing summed up the season more that the demoralizing site of McGlade putting on his gloves on Saturday as he was about to come on as sub on a mild May evening. Embarrassing.

The only way to improve the ‘footfall’ is by improving what happens on the pitch. People want to see good performances and goals. In turn, the attendance/atmosphere might pick up.

The pitch at the CCS is good, facilities are fairly good overall and I presume the player's needs/payments are being met. On that basis, the club has it's act together. The team do not
    Spot on

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    535 Posts
    Its not personal but I didn't enjoy going to matches last year as I wasn't well for a long time and had fallen out with people. Maybe I'm showing my age but I'm not taking the footie seriously anymore. I just take things day by day. My priorities are changing now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    812 Posts
    While I agree with everything Hollocaine said I wouldn't use the word enjoying but I'm not as wound up going to games this season as I was in 2016. That was without a doubt the worst season I've ever endured supporting De Town. I've just accepted the fact we aren't very good this season and it's going to take years for us to get back to the premier if we ever do at all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by outspoken View Post
    While I agree with everything Hollocaine said I wouldn't use the word enjoying but I'm not as wound up going to games this season as I was in 2016. That was without a doubt the worst season I've ever endured supporting De Town. I've just accepted the fact we aren't very good this season and it's going to take years for us to get back to the premier if we ever do at all.

How? We were losing to professional/mostly professional teams last year. Almost 3 months into this season and our only wins have been against Shelbourne Kids and Athlon€ Town.

This season was our chance to get back up as next year will be even harder with 3 coming down.

We've been pathetic. Mathews cannot motivate the players. Ye won't like this but Cousins would definitely have us higher up the table with this squad. No question. Anyway, his time has passed so let's not go there.

We'll just have to look forward to 16 more games of O'Connor taking 4 touches too many on the ball, McGlade doing step overs and going nowhere, Curran giving out to the rest of the team (as if he's Ronaldo), Kelly with his head in his hands after another f..k up, Cowan getting injured, Skinner having nothing to do and Mathews sounding as arrogant as always in his pre and post match radio interviews.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast