Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 season

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts
    Agree. And his half time 'warm up' in Athlone on Friday didn't amount to much either. He spent the entire 15 mins talking to people on the sidelines whilst the other subs at least did a few drills. Attitude could be better

International Prospect outspoken's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hollocaine View Post
    Agree. And his half time 'warm up' in Athlone on Friday didn't amount to much either. He spent the entire 15 mins talking to people on the sidelines whilst the other subs at least did a few drills. Attitude could be better
    Didn't spot that. Our half time warm ups have always been comical to be fair. Use to love when the keeper would take shots while one of the forwards would jump out of the way of the ball.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    Would you really say Athlone was that bad? I have read some reports saying the result was too big. Indeed reading extratime it seems they missed some great chances.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Briuk View Post
    Would you really say Athlone was that bad? I have read some reports saying the result was too big. Indeed reading extratime it seems they missed some great chances.
    Don't know where all these great chances came from. Their manager said they missed about 10 chances in his post match. Don't think skinner had a save to make. We weren't that good and won 3-0. Says it all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    Yer twitter seemed to make it out like Athlone had plenty of chances aswell tbf.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    204 Posts
    Lord bless us.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    185 Posts
    In Mathews we trust

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    535 Posts
    I read an interesting interview online with Danny OConnor during the week. He mentioned how much of a waste the 2005 season was for us. And that season was a poor start also. This season reminds me so much of that season.

I am not going to bother going to home matches this year if thats the case the way we are playing at present. I will be at Shels match but much prefer away games more. Its going to be a long depressing season ahead for us Im afraid. Think it will be Cobhs year finally.
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    204 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinho II View Post
    I read an interesting interview online with Danny OConnor during the week. He mentioned how much of a waste the 2005 season was for us. And that season was a poor start also. This season reminds me so much of that season.
    Any link for that Marty?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts
    For those of us who can't make games, has anyone got any sort of report on last weekend's game? Was it as bad as Cobh was made out to be?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts
    Danny O'Connor interview

http://www.extratime.ie/articles/185...danny-oconnor/

Cabo had 3 good chances and took 2 of them. We had 2 good chances and took neither. Not much else happened and once again there was very little skill and endeavour on show. All teams, bar Athlone, will be organised and hard to break down so it was no surprise that we found it hard to get in on the Cabo goal.

Our problem is in midfield. I like Boyne and I think he’s suited to the advanced role in a 4-4-1-1 formation. It was a pity he went off. Zambra plays the ‘Glenn Whelan role’ fine. Then there’s O’Connor. He takes too much time on the ball. As a result he rarely can pick out Sully and usually just plays another lateral pass to a full back or winger. We need a central player to be making the early pass to open up teams.

Kelly did well to get 9 years in the Premier Division. He never looked like a proper Premier Division player and now he doesn’t look too special in the First either. He’s either unfit or not bothered, or both. McGlade hardly kicked a ball at Pats last year so hard to criticise him too much so far. He’s very slight and needs the early ball in behind the full back to run on to. When faced one-on-one, he usually does nothing.

Defensively we’re ok. Would like to see Tristan get a start ahead of Langtry but hard to know either way. Some of Skinner’s deliveries were poor, but he was probably as bored watching the game as we were.

12. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    535 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by L.T.F.C. View Post
    Any link for that Marty?
    cant remember where I saw it. But if I do across it I will post here!

stop press! thanks hollocaine I checked SSE ,league of ireland and 42.ie but never extratime. Doh!
    Last edited by Martinho II; 21/03/2017 at 7:37 PM.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    43 Posts
    With each advancing year my first game of the season is coming later and later into the year. I too was wondering if we really could be as bad as had been portrayed after the Cobh game and it turns out that yes, yes we could well be that poor. I'd agree with Hollocaine in that it could easily have been 2-2 if some of our better chances had scraped in but we would have been lucky and Cabo went close on other occasions too hitting the crossbar in the first half.

On first look and i'll admit that i could yet be proven wrong, there are a number of areas on concern. To start, Skinner's distribution into a cross wind meant that two thirds of his kick/throw outs were sent out of play. It almost had to be seen to be believed. That nobody was coming short or instructed to come short was the only thing more ridiculous. Of the defense and in descending order i thought Friel looked descent if unspectacular, Walsh and O'Reilly were poor enough, caught out the only times there were any serious questions asked of them. And finally we have Langtry. He seems eager anyway and tried to get forward but nothing he was trying to do was coming off. Maybe, hopefully it was just one of those days.

I thought McGlade looked ok and again was trying to do something. The rest of the midfield didn't stand out and in fairness to them them they probably controlled most of the possession without doing much with it.

Mulhall looked ok when he came on and Sully wasn't at the races at all though both could well have scored if the ball had gone the other side of the post. That said those were the only real chances we created.

All in all it was as poor as anything i've seen in recent years, as poor as the first year we came down the last time but with players that you would expect to be better. That's the most disappointing aspect. I think that year we expected nothing more, this year and on paper i'd have expected us to be better than what i saw the other night.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    535 Posts
    At least you have seen more home football than me Sorbo. I have made the decision to go to more away games than home as being at home matches makes me miserable as sin. The Shels match will be my first home match in a few wks time.

Any time I have seen us play away I thought we played well at times and it all came together in Athlone. The atmosphere is always way better away too. But now when I think about it, even with AMs first spell in charge of us our away form was always better than our home. Maybe that was because back then fans wise we were better vocally away than at home.

thats my take on it anyway. I would have Cobh as favourites to win it. I never thought we were going to win it this season as it was too soon.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts
    'F..k off the lot of ye'

Just in case ye missed it, those words were the perils of wisdom offered by our manager a couple of minutes after the 2nd UCD goal last night. Granted, he was shouting at the team after once again they gave away possession cheaply. In the quiet surroundings of the Bowl, it was easily heard all over the ground. The point being, we're in for a long season with Mathews in charge. It'll be easier to change the manager than change the squad.

It's all Athlone's fault of course. Had they not had their off-the-field problems last season, Mathews would not have been available when Cousins left us in August. Alas, it is what it is. He clearly is unable to motivate this group of players.

As for the game, we were beaten by a very average UCD team. Cabo were better last week. Even with UCD's 5-man defence for the last 30 mins, we had a few chances which our impotent strikeforce wasted. Maybe a big performance will come next week against Waterford, but it hardly looks likely.

If things continue, then Mathews can be the one to 'f..k off' and bring his henchman Doherty with him. Give Cronin the job and let's see what he can do.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    185 Posts
    The sooner he's got rid of the better. I still believe we've got a decent squad of players there that can make something of this season. It won't be happening with him in charge though. I for one am shocked that a manager who's achieved next to nothing in the last 10+ years is once again failing at a club. Who could possibly have seen this coming?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    535 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by De Town View Post
    The sooner he's got rid of the better. I still believe we've got a decent squad of players there that can make something of this season. It won't be happening with him in charge though. I for one am shocked that a manager who's achieved next to nothing in the last 10+ years is once again failing at a club. Who could possibly have seen this coming?
    he seems soured with what happened with Cork city in 08 .After winning the Setanta Cup hes never being the same. Look I wanted him to succeed but after seeing that ****e there yesterday he better get his skates in order or else. With every passing game the support is reducing less and less. There was no bus yesterday due to lack of interest. Who would blame them? I dont know if Cronin has in him but maybe if thats the avenue we have to go so be it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    812 Posts
    I really want Mathews to turn this around but even those who were happy with his appointment would freely admit he was the easy option for our board. At the moment the team looks totally unorganised (what are we doing in training?), playing Langtry at LB is a failure and playing Mulhall in midfield last night was one of the worst tactical decisions I've ever seen. Il give Alan credit for his half time changes, they gave us a lift and as said above even with 5 at the back we should have scored a few but that was more down to a very young team getting very tired, exactly what happened to them when they played waterford recently I was told by a UCD supporter. If we lose to Waterford that's 9 points already, IMO that would be too much to turn around even at this early stage. Just like last year with cousins everyone is calling for change but no one is saying who we should try and get in? There's a very small pool out there. I always wanted Trevor Croly and would still want him with the club then looking at a long term plan from grassroots up with him in charge as he did great work off the field with rovers. However as I said I'm still behind Mathews and hoping we can start our season on Saturday. Cmon de town.

20. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    812 Posts
    So what are we thinking for Saturday night? First change that should be made is the keeper but don't expect that to happen. Friel had a nightmare against UCD and doesn't look to be getting forward like he did in pre season, probably knows how exposed we are at the back and doesn't want to go forward. O'Reilly is going well at centre half just needs to stop giving away silly fouls, that will come with experience. Walsh needs to just do basics and stop trying to over play and hel be fine. Langtry is a disaster at LB id play Tristan there but again don't expect that to happen.

Midfield is killing us, McGlade can't start after his performance last week, even if Don is only 50% fit id start him. We've no options in the middle so Wel have to persist with Kev and Zambra. He can't start Mulhall in midfield again or he wants shooting.

For all our signings we really don't have many options. Sully up front goes without saying. Overall I'm not confident at all. Should be a walk in the park for waterford

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts
    If anything, Skinner is least culpable for what's gone on so far this season. It's in outfield positions where change is needed more. We've no real options in most positions so don't expect wholesale changes. Sully hasn't been in great form either. He obviously should start but we would have picked up at least 3 more points if he was sharper in front of goal. It's indicative of the month we had that he was awarded POTM. Bar a hat trick against Ragball Rovers, he hasn't covered himself in glory.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast