Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Ireland v England 1995

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by anto eile
    that was little nackers from inchicore who live in the area throwing stones. they werent even Rovers fans,they mite be pats fans but jsut little toerags whatever team they follow . most clubs who go to inchicore have stories about the little ******es from the area throwing stuff. its even happened to Rovers ourselves.
    there were certainly no stones and bottles thrown from the Rovers crowd at that game. i was in the shed for it.
    Yeah, that was what happened. But the fact is that it was very intimidating at the time. There were also two rovers fans who came into our section at half time looking for hassle. I've been in Inchicore many times, and that was the worst I've ever seen.

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    200 Posts
    Dunno if anyone saw the African Nations Cup around this time last year (was on Eurosport / BBC 3 or BBC 4), but I seem to remember Algerian fans running riot in Tunisia during some of their matches.

link one
    link two

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dcfcsteve
    Fergie's Son - I'd be grateful if you could provide sources and justification for your oft-stated point about France becoming majority Muslim by 2045.

I'm keen to get a better understanding as to how a population of 5m people will propel themselves to number over 25million within a single generation.

Hard stats and qualified sources please. No text-based conjecture or personal assumptions.

Thanks.
    Fergie's Son - you've had almost 72hrs since I posted the above question. In that time, you've made 2 more postings on this debate - none of which in any way alluded to the above question.

Would be mopst grateful if you could respond, as I know a number of people on this thread are keen to get a better understanding of your claim.

I mean - I'd hate anyone to think your debating position was questionable and you were making it all up......

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Fergie's Son - you've had almost 72hrs since I posted the above question. In that time, you've made 2 more postings on this debate - none of which in any way alluded to the above question.

Would be mopst grateful if you could respond, as I know a number of people on this thread are keen to get a better understanding of your claim.

I mean - I'd hate anyone to think your debating position was questionable and you were making it all up......

If it was 2145 rather than 2045 would his argument be null? From what I have read it is possible but unlikley that there could be Muslim parity by the end of this century but if I had to put money on it I would go with 2145 with a strong lilelihood that it will never happen.

Anyhow the core issue with Muslim immigration is one of culture not economics, but I am pretty optimistic that an educated French-Muslim population ( particularly the womenfolk ) will find secularism much more tempting than the intolerance of conservative Islam.

And as for the Ireland v England game in '95, I remember that in the weeks before the game all we heard about was reports of the hooligan threat. The Gardai screwed up royally, did heads roll? was anyone held accountable? Thank Allah nobody was killed.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Nationalism is an infantile disease, the measles of mankind

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Éanna
    Yeah, that was what happened. But the fact is that it was very intimidating at the time. There were also two rovers fans who came into our section at half time looking for hassle. I've been in Inchicore many times, and that was the worst I've ever seen.
    one of the lads went in to your section, sat down with a smile on his face. taking the pis$ more or less, waving over to Rovers fans.far from looking for hassle.i only saw one Rovers fan go into your section and i was only 50 feet away

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 1MickCollins
    If it was 2145 rather than 2045 would his argument be null? From what I have read it is possible but unlikley that there could be Muslim parity by the end of this century but if I had to put money on it I would go with 2145 with a strong lilelihood that it will never happen.
    Well, yes ! Saying a population will exponentially grow within a single generation is very different from saying one will do so in 4 generations ! Purely from the point of view of human endeavour, a group of people growing from 5m to 25m in numbers in 40years would probably be a world record. Not so over 140yrs.

And besides - it would take a very, very brave person to project a country's demographics 140 years out from now. Feck knows what could or would happen in that time, it's such a huge distance away. For perspective - 140yrs ago (1865) Ireland was well and truely under the kosh of the British, had just gone through one of the world's biggest famines and mass emigrations, was sh*t poor, over-whelmingly rural, Irish-speaking in large parts, and soccer, Gaelic football and motor cars didn't exist. Monarchies were the government of choice across the world, France was a major world power, had just got rid of Napolean yet again, but hadn't a strong position in North Africa yet. Germany and Italy didn't even exist as countries, as were only going through the process of unifying themselves. The Turks and Hungarians ruled large swathes of Europe. America was approaching the end of a Civil War and had yet to outlaw slavery. And no-one gave a feck about China. Regardless of any advancement in statistics, any attempt then to project how countries would look nowadays - let alone how their population would be made up - would have been miles out.

So yes - it does makes his arguements null ! If only because no-one will be here in 2145 to verify it anyway ! I'll bet you all a billion Euro that Ireland will be predominantly populated by Cornish-speaking Martians in 2145. I don't need any proof - but it'll definitely happen......

Whatever happened to the bases of intelligent debate (i.e. facts combined with insightful analysis and justifiable projections) ? I'll take Fergie's Son's silence as being effectively an admission that he was talking out of his hoop. Either that or he's on his hollers researching the growth in Cornish-speaking Martians...

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Whatever happened to the bases of intelligent debate (i.e. facts combined with insightful analysis and justifiable projections) ? I'll take Fergie's Son's silence as being effectively an admission that he was talking out of his hoop. Either that or he's on his hollers researching the growth in Cornish-speaking Martians...
    Yawn, this is a football forum which may have escaped your attention, kindly move your arse to the Off Topic forum.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by anto eile
    one of the lads went in to your section, sat down with a smile on his face. taking the pis$ more or less, waving over to Rovers fans.far from looking for hassle.i only saw one Rovers fan go into your section and i was only 50 feet away
    we can argue the details forever. The point is, I wrote what I wrote not long after that game. And I was being honest. It was an intimidating atmosphere- the most intimidating I have experienced in this league. Maybe my fears were unfounded, I don't know, but that was how it felt at the time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Yawn, this is a football forum which may have escaped your attention, kindly move your arse to the Off Topic forum.
    Dry yer eyes Mick. I don't believe in letting someone away with unfounded and essentially rascist views.

I asked the administrators earlier in the thread to move this debate if they wanted to, and they seem to have chosen not to.

Also - earlier in the thread someone else made the same point you did and was shouted down by everyone else.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Dry yer eyes Mick. I don't believe in letting someone away with unfounded and essentially rascist views.

I asked the administrators earlier in the thread to move this debate if they wanted to, and they seem to have chosen not to.

Also - earlier in the thread someone else made the same point you did and was shouted down by everyone else.
    My eyes are wet with tears of laughter, go find a tree to hug old chap.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Do you mind - you're taking our Off Topic debate Off Topic.......

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Go find a tree to p*ss against!
    This is the cooooooooooooolest footy forum I've ever seen!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lopez
    Go find a tree to p*ss against!
    I was laughing at the high-mindedness of "I don't believe in letting someone away with unfounded and essentially rascist views.", this is the usual cheap ploy of looney-leftists - accuse everyone of being a bigot or a racist. I didn't find anything racist in that thread. That is the sort of cheap shot that I don't care for.

Formerly: vega007 Colbert Report's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    A night from my childhood I'll never forget. Only time in my life, save for September 11, that every newspaper had the same photo on the front page - it was some bald lager lout Englishman with blood all over his face - and the headline "SHAME" on all the papers.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Has anyone seen the new Transit ?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I must disagree. It would be awfully boring if we weren't allowed digress in the slightest from football talk, wouldn't it? In fairness, it has its limitations. This site can be dull as hell for ages until a decent debate starts, sometimes about football, sometimes not. I don't know why it bothers people, to be honest, it's not as if it's a regular thing.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    this is the usual cheap ploy of looney-leftists - accuse everyone of being a bigot or a racist. I didn't find anything racist in that thread
    Miaow. This is the predictable cheap ploy of some accused of or associated with racism - counter that every 'leftist' is a loony
    They're red, they're black
    The hatchetmen are back.

We'll support you evermore
    Though you never score...

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Gardner
    Miaow. This is the predictable cheap ploy of some accused of or associated with racism - counter that every 'leftist' is a loony
    Hear, hear! Or that these Pinkos are trying to supress free speach and then demanding that what we are discussing be binned and that this is an 'Irish forum for Irish people.'
    This is the cooooooooooooolest footy forum I've ever seen!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    61 Posts
    1995 had to be one of the craziest years... We hold our own and take lead against English before riot, we outplay Portugal and win, then we seriously fk up for the remainder of the year including 0-0 in Liechenstein (where North won 4-0!)...

I don't think it could all be put down to the squad ageing... I recall alot of critical injuries that year to Keane, Sheridan etc...
    I think we even played a 34 year old, rotund Ronnie Whelan of Southend United in centre midfield versus Liechenstein and Austria that summer....

The likes of Babb and McAteer weren't tearing up trees that season either and delivering on their hype....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Just came across this on my travels, the full RTÉ coverage on the infamous fixture at Lansdowne Road. I haven't even watched it fully myself but will do when I get a chance. They must have given Dunphy the night off as it's Giles and Joe Kinnear in studio. Some interviews with both Irish & English players afterwards also, as well as Bertie Ahern!

Edit- don't know why it keeps starting so far in!

Last edited by DeLorean; 07/09/2016 at 1:50 PM.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast