Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Ireland v England 1995

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lopez
    Only games I've known with trouble aside from the 1995 visit were Belgium 1981, Denmark 1985, the Scum 1985 (as Davros notes) and Switzerland 1985. However, I'd hardly call what happened as riots.
    great record, best fans in the world! except when it comes to singing at LR it seems

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ken foree
    don't know if there was trouble during the match, but read that some irish were on the rampage after the euro qualifier in moscow?
    Wher did you read that? Moscow's Right wing nutters trashed a few hotels with irish fans in it and indeed attacked a few Irish fans (one guy on our coach had been hit over the head with an iron bar) However, this doesn't equate to Ireland fans on the rampage - I guess your taking the mick
    I thought you were off the drink Ronnie?

"No, I drink to help me mind my own business....can I get you one? (c) Ronnie Drew

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Junior
    Wher did you read that? Moscow's Right wing nutters trashed a few hotels with irish fans in it and indeed attacked a few Irish fans (one guy on our coach had been hit over the head with an iron bar) However, this doesn't equate to Ireland fans on the rampage - I guess your taking the mick
    not at all, i actually read that in a few places, been a while so sorry don't remember where. certainly online football sites. mighta been english ones

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Junior
    p.s. sorry to hear about your friend, that's sick

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pronane
    i have heard accents frmo nova scocia ( i know wrong spelling ) and they dont sound anything like irish people, however st johns and newfoundland are supposed to have half canadian/half irish accents.

where can you see that documentary?
    Might be tough to get, just ring up RTE and ask for the archives section, see if they'll help you out! I don't think it's out on DVD or anything.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Donal81
    Might be tough to get, just ring up RTE and ask for the archives section, see if they'll help you out! I don't think it's out on DVD or anything.
    I saw that prog too, definitely sounded Irish

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Conor74
    Reminds me of summers I spent in La Bourgogne. Family I stayed with were great, but always claimed that they weren't racist, they only hated Arabs! It was just the done thing for them, very ingrained. If they spotted me talking to an Algerian at the pool near the town, they would tell me to
    reminds me of a south african girl I worked with while living in Germany. "How would you know? You don't have to live with them" was just one of her well-informed reasons for not trusting black people But, of course, she claimed she wasn't a racist

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ken foree
    great record, best fans in the world! except when it comes to singing at LR it seems

Ya I think that England match was the only trouble at a home match we ever had....

Were all Angels I tell you Angels..

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pete
    Watched it on tv & main memories are that clip of young kid (where is he now?) crying as he standing on the pitch in front of West Stand.

Was also very embarishing to watch clearly unorganised Gardai. Nothing against the individual guards but there was no coordination & looked like hadn't a clue how to deal with a riot. In fact they beg=haved very similar during those Mayday "riots" i.e. wading into rioters instead of trying to pick them off one by one.
    that little kid was a mank united fan.poor little fella his great day out watching premier**** heroes ended badly

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Peadar
    They got off lghtly as far as I'm concerned.
    If they'd been nationalists in Northern Ireland they'd have been shot at with plastic/rubber bullets.

I would like to see England play Ireland someday where there's a load of banter but only football fans get access to the game.
    The only way to organise that would be to sell the tickets through supporters clubs and then check passports and tickets at the turnstiles.
    i remember a gam on sports files (rte on saturdays) from wembley about 91ish. 1-1 i think. but england an ireland fans sitting beside each other at the game. seemed fairly ok from the clips on tv

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Macy
    But that's my point, the UK police wanted to have spotters at the ground (and airports/ports) and the (in your opinion) do no wrong guards went it alone rather than take the help/ accept the intelligence. The dicks wouldn't have got in the ground to cause the problems.
    dont underestimate the culpability of the gards in allowing that trouble to start.and the gards still havent learnt a lesson.as proved by their inability to police loi games played in front of a 2500 people

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    There's only trouble when Rovers are in town.
    Lets face it, we never see trouble any other time.
    Rovers seem to bring out a bad element in every club.
    "Firms" are nowhere near as organised in Ireland as they are elsewhere and therefore the policing doesn't need to be on the same scale.
    It would cause a national outcry if we spent a fraction of the money the police in the UK spend on football. It's multi-millions each year.
    more corki nonsense about Rovers troublemakers. when Rovers were in turners x last season it was YOUR moron supporters who started the trouble so cop on to yourself with this "only" Rovers casue trouble

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by anto eile
    that little kid was a mank united fan.poor little fella his great day out watching premier**** heroes ended badly
    at least he learnt what english football is about before he got too involved in supporting it

dont underestimate the culpability of the gards in allowing that trouble to start.and the gards still havent learnt a lesson.as proved by their inability to police loi games played in front of a 2500 people
    what inability is that? I'm no fan of the gardaí but the way you're saying it, you'd swear there was war at eircom League games- which there isn't.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    i remember a gam on sports files (rte on saturdays) from wembley about 91ish. 1-1 i think. but england an ireland fans sitting beside each other at the game.
    We have a few people on this forum who were in attendance on that day.

so cop on to yourself with this "only" Rovers casue trouble
    I appreciate that you will have difficulty reading, given your unfortunate circumstance in life, but could you ask someone to read my post to you before you make an even greater fool of yourself by flying off the handle?
    There's a good little scally.
    Last edited by Peadar; 16/02/2005 at 3:45 PM.
    Have Boot Disk, will travel

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    i remember a gam on sports files (rte on saturdays) from wembley about 91ish. 1-1 i think. but england an ireland fans sitting beside each other at the game. seemed fairly ok from the clips on tv
    There was definitely segregation at that game. Some Irish fans i nthe home end all right. England hadn't sold out for a few years so not too hard to get tickets in the England end - ours were difficult to get.

no real trouble on the night. One Irish pub was done I heard o nthe day but never saw it confirmed. however many of the boneheads that follow England away don't go to home games.

Fans were mixed in at Euro88 more so and at Italia 90. Mixed campsites in Stuttgart an dCagliari but no issues in either

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dcfcsteve
    So none of the 5m+ Muslims (note the spelling) in France are French then......?

However - I would say that the Gardai are by and large just a bunch of messers, with no air of authority in general and zero notions on crowd control in particular. Not in any way an impressive police force, and they pale in comparison to any other police force I've experienced in the First World. The Police in England/the US etc leave you in no doubt who's in control, purely by how they handle themselves. The Gardai I always find difficult to take seriously at all.
    dont be pedantic with the spelling
    as for gards theyre absolute morons. no-one takes them serioulsy, saw one real culchie looking potato-head thick looking fooker in town last week, had to crack up laughing at the mere sight of him. then the big thick gombeen satnding at the corner of henry st o'connell st with one leg agaisnt the wall yawning while hands in his pockets,looked like he was catching flies.
    gards are incompetent lazy idiots. and thats before you take into accoutn the rampant corruption in the force,which is a whole other issue

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    72 Posts
    I appreciate that you will have difficulty reading, given your unfortunate circumstance in life, but could you ask someone to read my post to you before you make an even greater fool of yourself by flying off the handle?
    What was that about attacking the post and not the poster?

KOH
    No One Likes Us, We Don't Care

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    more corki nonsense about Rovers troublemakers. when Rovers were in turners x last season it was YOUR moron supporters who started the trouble so cop on to yourself with this "only" Rovers casue trouble
    read what he said again.
    Rovers seem to bring out a bad element in every club.
    ots certainly true that in Cork there are (Cork)people who only turn up for Rovers games at the cross because they're looking for trouble. Thats not Rovers' fans fault, but it is because of Rovers.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WeAreRovers
    What was that about attacking the post and not the poster?

KOH
    Monkey see, monkey do.

WAR, I'm sure you appreciate I wasn't suggesting that Rovers "start" all the trouble?
    Have Boot Disk, will travel

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    you said: ""There's only trouble when Rovers are in town.
    Lets face it, we never see trouble any other time.
    Rovers seem to bring out a bad element in every club.""

how can you blame Rovers fans "bringing out an element of fans" who want to have a go?
    in every club?ther was trouble at three fixtures last year.three. cork away when cork fans started it. longford away when stewards aided by aretired garda started it.and the gypos when both sides looked for it. so your claims that Rovers bring out a thuggish element in every club is wrong.

i can read perfectly fine, not just in english either.
    as for scally?what basis have you for that ludicrous claim??i wouldnt be seen dead in a tracksuit in public. never wear caps. dont wear hideous jewelry of any kind.maybe youd like to actually find out waht a scally is before labelling someone it, casue if you call me it you mustnt know what one is
    as for unfortuante circumsatnces, cant think of much more unfortunate circumstances that being from cork , (bar being a native of somewhere like mogadishu or pyongyang)

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast