Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Ireland v England 1995

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Peadar
    There's only trouble when Rovers are in town.
    They're not always the ones that start it though are they Peadar. Because of their reputation, you get every Stone-Island and Burberry wearing pseudo soul crew wannabe hardman coming out when Rovers are in town looking for it.

In fairness, if the City and Longford fans that were involved in the troubles at Rovers games last year are left back into the grounds by our clubs when Rovers visit next season, we can't really give Rovers too much sh!te about their own inability to weed out their troublemakers.
    Cork City: Making 'Dream Team' seem realistic since 2007.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    74 Posts
    There's only trouble when Rovers are in town.
    Lets face it, we never see trouble any other time.
    Rovers seem to bring out a bad element in every club.
    "Firms" are nowhere near as organised in Ireland as they are elsewhere and therefore the policing doesn't need to be on the same scale.
    It would cause a national outcry if we spent a fraction of the money the police in the UK spend on football. It's multi-millions each year.

Where did I mention Rovers? And we are spending millions on crowd control every year - all to pay overtime to cops who aren't trained to police crowds.

I know the figures that Rovers, for instance, owe to the Guards for policing and they've never paid a penny of it meaning that the tax payer ultimately foots the bill.

KOH
    No One Likes Us, We Don't Care

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tiktok
    They're not always the ones that start it though are they Peadar.
    I didn't say they start it.
    If you read my post you'll see that I said they bring out an element in other clubs. An element which isn't present for other games.
    I'm around the game too long not to see the reality of crowd trouble.
    We're no angels, but we get through the majority of our games without incident.
    Have Boot Disk, will travel

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Watched the game from the East Stand but my Dad was in the England section. He had bought a ticket that afternoon from Merrion Square as my cousin had travelled up without one and got my Dad's regular seat. He got out quick when the trouble started and was unhurt. no mobiles i nthose days so it was an anxious few minutes before we all got back to the meeting point.

Guys were hell bent on trouble. The guards couldn't cope and mistakes were made but they were in no way to blame.

One of the guys arrested had left the following on his screensaver back in his UK IT company "Gone to fight for Queen and Country" Enough said.

Sometimes crowd violence is blamed on heavy handed policing but the guards were very softt oo until the trouble started. The sight afterwards shown on TV of the guard hammering an English fan with his baton, losing his hat and continue the beating is one I'll never forget. I wonder was he ever charged with excessive use of force.

The English FA have clamped down hard and there is a proper travel club now. Still I'd rather avoid them in a potential playoff or in Germany. I'd also be concerned that some of our own new breed of fans would be more likely to take them on too.

On the football side we had played very well i nthe first 20 minutes and probably would have gone on to win the game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    If you read my post you'll see that I said they bring out an element in other clubs. An element which isn't present for other games.
    Yeah, you're right, jumped the gun a bit on your post there.

Thing is though, if we had proper policing, that element wouldn't be present at Rovers games either.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gspain
    I'd also be concerned that some of our own new breed of fans would be more likely to take them on too.
    Unfortunately, after Paris, that's a concern I'd share

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Junior
    Based on what?
    Based on the fact that a friendly isn't likely, so it'll be the next qualifying campaign and Lansdowne and Croke Park won't be available. Nothing sinister...
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    'the poor young fella, that was what the indo and most papers followed up with. I wonder what the coverage was like over here i.e. England ( did it make front page?????)'

I remember sky invited him over for a united match (i think it was united) and had him in the studio beforehand - the little s_-_e did well out of it anyway!! (though im sure he got the slagged a fair bit in school over it !!)

'Well done to the Guards then eh? Especially given the potential for someone innocent and/or Irish to be seriously injured/killed '

Yeah, well done to them thats what I say Macy. As i said leading up to the match i agree with ye, they were shambolic, but for beating the s_-t out of them, fair play - no sympathy for the brits, what comes around goes around.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tiktok
    Unfortunately, after Paris, that's a concern I'd share
    Most of them would run a mile if anything real flared up.
    We didn't have any such problems in Basel.
    Lets hope Paris was the exception.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Most of them would run a mile if anything real flared up.
    We didn't have any such problems in Basel.
    Lets hope Paris was the exception.
    I donno Peadar, there seems to be a lot more fools who think supporting the National team is a all bout hating England/Rangers.

I'd be delighted in one sense if we drew England becuase IMO we'd give them a good beating on the pitch, but I'd worry about how certain people could behave themselves on both sides
    Oh no not them again

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    'Can you clarify that you are limiting your comments to events at that match?'

Whats to clarify? Those f_-ks go all around europe kicking up s_-t whereever they go and then had the cheek to come over and 'do' lansdowne and dublin earlier on that day - they deserved the guards laying into them, fair play to them

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SÓC
    I donno Peadar, there seems to be a lot more fools who think supporting the National team is a all bout hating England/Rangers.

But hasn't that always been there?
    I think the problem now is that low cost airlines and the ability to arrange travel over the Internet has allowed more people to travel away.
    If you talk to some of the auld fellas on away trips they'll tell you about the lengths they went to for away games before.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Conor74
    I forgot, in your books being English and following the team was reason enough to kick heads.

Well maybe in future you'll make a point of remembering these important facts before you post.

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    200 Posts
    Flew over the weekend before the game, to stay with my relatives in Bray. Was doing revision for my entrance exams to secondary school. I could tell there was going to be trouble from the flight over (Heathrow - Dublin) as there were a load of hooligans on it, I was suprised that they all passed thru security at Dublin airport so easily. I know a few English fans were in Bray at the time, a couple of families with kids had come over on the ferry and were staying in BnBs along the seafront. Saw them in Superquinn the day before the match, they said they were having a good time in Bray and everyone was really friendly to them. Saw them again after the match, one of their kids had been hit by an England hooligan (who assumed that, as a family they must have been "home" fans), they said they had never been to an England match before and were never going to go again, and the kid said he was going to support who ever was playing against England from then on.

I saw the match on TV, in terms of football we totally outclassed them and I think that probably explains why the trouble started. Im not saying there wouldnt have been any trouble (im sure with the sorts of "fans" they took over to Dublin it was always going to happen), but I think it would have been after the match. But I think the fact we were so superior on the pitch upset the hooligans early on and they just lost the plot. Their behaviour was a disgrace, and although the Guards were sloppy in preparing for the game, it should always be rememberd that it was the English who were the ones acting the fool during the match. Once the trouble started I think the Guards were actually fairly measured (or even laid back) given the level of trouble, the England fans caused trouble and had to be dealt with. Im sure if they'd gone to USA 94 6 months earlier and acted like that the NYPD etc wouldnt have thought twice about a more rigourous approach to riot control, the Italians dealt with them in a similar manner in Rome when they acted the fool there a couple of years later.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    From what i remember i thought the english started the better, i think beardsley had a couple of good chances.

what happened over in paris? didnt hear any reports of violence?

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    200 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elroy
    From what i remember i thought the english started the better, i think beardsley had a couple of good chances.

what happened over in paris? didnt hear any reports of violence?

There was minor trouble on the Friday night, some fans I met on the metro said there were a few altercations between a few fans and local youths I think someone was hit on the head by glass outside an Irish Bar. During the morning/mid-day before the game some fans got drunk, jumped on buses etc. I didnt see anything myself, but I was based out in the north of the city and didnt go into the center before the game. In terms of at the Stade De France there was (so far as im aware) no trouble at all and fans of both teams were well behaved during the game.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    All in all the usual happenings of an average night out in any Irish town/city so.
    Paris police are meant to be the business if any bit of trouble is about

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    The incidents in Paris were between some Moselm youths and some Irish fans. French were not involved.

I think people here are being far too lienient on the Gardai. They singularly failed to take any advice fromt he more experienced English police who did indeed offer "spotters". They had no plan for containing the rioters so it appeared that it was every guard for themselves. When they finally managed to get them out of Lansdowne a good number of them made it into the city centre. That never should have been allowed to happen. It was an unprofessional performance by the Guards and it was sheer luck that no-one was killed. BTW, had the English acted that way in the US, they would have been shot. Literally, the would have been shot.

As for the game itself....we were playing very well. John Sheridan (the most underrated Irish player in recent years) was dominating the midfield and spreading the ball all over the pitch. He made a lovely pass to David Kelly who stuck it in the back of the net.

Of the Irish starting IX:

Ireland: Alan Kelly (Sheffield Utd), Denis Irwin (Manchester Utd), Terry Phelan (Manchester City), Alan Kernaghan (Manchester City), Paul McGrath (Aston Villa), Eddie McGoldrick (Arsenal), Andy Townsend (Aston Villa) capt, David Kelly (Wolves), Niall Quinn (Manchester City), John Sheridan (Sheffield Wednesday), Steve Staunton (Aston Villa)

Six of them could be considered English insofar as they were raised in England for most, if not all, of their lives. I remember Townsend trying to calm the crowd to no avail. Would be curious to see what their recollections are of the game.
    There is no such thing as a miracle cure, a free lunch or a humble opinion.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by davros
    ......one thug was allegedly stripped naked by the Gards,dumped in the Wicklow Mountains at night & told to make his own way home!...
    That wasnt a thug, it was a GAA referee, they have a rep. for that kind of thing in Wicklow!
    Honest! I am not a secret Tim nor a closet Sham - I really am a Seagull.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    [QUOTE=Conor74]And it's well known that the Gardai carried out an exhaustive and thorough investigation before deciding which English fans to beat up.

They should have used live bullets on the b***ards, and asked questions later. I take it your going to say that Ireland fans had stuff other then their towns and city's written on their Tricolours again Conor.
    Its crazy to see people be what society wants them to be but not me.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast