Thread: Portugal v Republic of Ireland - Tuesday, 11th June 2024 - Friendly

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    868 Posts

Portugal v Republic of Ireland - Tuesday, 11th June 2024 - Friendly

Quote Originally Posted by jbyrne View Post
    couldn't agree more. you would be forgiven for thinking that some people don't like to see any joy around the team.
    every time someone sees a chink of light through a players club performance there is always a poster ready to bring us all back down to earth, management over celebrate a last min winner, last min winner was lucky, last min winner could've been offside IF the scorer had passed. holy god its miserable around here most of the time

They dont, I said the same thing here just the other day and was shouted down for it. We couldnt have had a better end of season for 2 of our young strikers but all we were hearing on here was basically could they do it on a cold Tuesday night in Stoke.

Last night O'Shea had every right to celebrate a last minute winner that gave him his 1st win in management. He probably thinks it might get him the job so why wouldnt he be delighted. I jumped out of my seat myself celebrating.... but then had the same thought as JOS, that it might give him the job now and so my happiness probably didnt last as long as his did.

Im completely conflicted for the game next Tuesday. I'm heading to Portugal next month so the friends and family will hammer me if we are awful, but a win would probably get JOS a 10 year contract so....
    Its really not that complicated!!!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    Im completely conflicted for the game next Tuesday. I'm heading to Portugal next month so the friends and family will hammer me if we are awful, but a win would probably get JOS a 10 year contract so....
    If Ireland win or draw in Portugal, O'Shea will be a bona fide candidate. His predecessor retained high credit rating despite seven games without a goal, despite defeat at home to Luxembourg, despite dropping us 21 FIFA places.

O'Shea's credentials are far from elite but I cannot remember a more vilified candidate in Irish football history. Some of the thrash aimed at him is embarrassing.
    Anois teacht an Earraigh / Beidh an lá dúl chun shíneadh,
    Is tar eis na féil Bríde / Ardóigh mé mo sheol.

3. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,652 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Snapshot View Post
    If Ireland win or draw in Portugal, O'Shea will be a bona fide candidate. His predecessor retained high credit rating despite seven games without a goal, despite defeat at home to Luxembourg, despite dropping us 21 FIFA places.
    Kenny crawled so Sheasy could run!
    [joke!]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,332 Posts
    Spinning some of the more-Portugal relevant posts from the Hungary-Portugal thread into a Portugal-specific thread

Interview with retired player Mickey Walsh about his time in Portugal, where he's living now
    https://www.independent.ie/sport/soc...a46998323.html
    Last edited by tetsujin1979; 10/06/2024 at 12:18 PM.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,259 Posts
    Is it seanfhear who talks about a lucky general and a good general? O'Shea has a draw against Belgium (where we missed a penalty), a narrow loss against Switzerland and a win against Hungary to his name so far - that'd get you through a group at the Euros we didn't qualify for.

But have we improved any from the Kenny era? The Hungary game in particular felt really disjointed but if we're honest none of the performances were any good.

Portugal lost 2-1 to Croatia on Saturday; France, Serbia and Spain are the only other sides to win in Portugal this decade. Even if they are playing to avoid injury rather than give a send-off, you'd imagine they have enough to stifle us to a bore draw at least.

Cannon in line for a debut at some stage as reported elsewhere. Changes to the defence too I guess? Yet it all feels a bit irrelevant if someone else is going to be in charge come September and England.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    579 Posts
    I feel more confident about our performances since Kenny left. Not much but a small improvement. I think a lot of it comes down to how much personality the manager has and how much the players buy into him. I'm sure most of the players liked Kenny as a man and bought into doing their best for their country.

But I always hark back to Martin O'Neill. Tactically not great but a strong personality who could make players run through a brick wall for him. That can go a long way with a small nation like Ireland, who always have a limited pool of talent.
    Folding my way into the big money!!!

8. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    568 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Is it seanfhear who talks about a lucky general and a good general? O'Shea has a draw against Belgium (where we missed a penalty), a narrow loss against Switzerland and a win against Hungary to his name so far - that'd get you through a group at the Euros we didn't qualify for.

But have we improved any from the Kenny era? The Hungary game in particular felt really disjointed but if we're honest none of the performances were any good.

Portugal lost 2-1 to Croatia on Saturday; France, Serbia and Spain are the only other sides to win in Portugal this decade. Even if they are playing to avoid injury rather than give a send-off, you'd imagine they have enough to stifle us to a bore draw at least.

Cannon in line for a debut at some stage as reported elsewhere. Changes to the defence too I guess? Yet it all feels a bit irrelevant if someone else is going to be in charge come September and England.
    Both Napoleon and myself like a Lucky General ( In Napoleon's case, liked )

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,102 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    Spinning some of the more-Portugal relevant posts from the Hungary-Portugal thread into a Portugal-specific thread

Interview with retired player Mickey Walsh about his time in Portugal, where he's living now
    https://www.independent.ie/sport/soc...a46998323.html
    Piece with him in the Times Sunday too. Didn't realise his brother was the famed scout Steve Walsh, responsible for Kante and Mahrez coming to Leicester apparently.