Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Kids Club in Ireland?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Question Best Kids Club in Ireland?

Just thought I would throw out this Question just to see if any of the members actually have a knowledge of where it all starts? Here in Sligo we had the privilege of seeing Damian Duff a few years ago on our ground, live and in the flesh. Marked out of the game as far as i recall..... !!

Any takers??

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MervilleUnited
    Just thought I would throw out this Question just to see if any of the members actually have a knowledge of where it all starts? Here in Sligo we had the privilege of seeing Damian Duff a few years ago on our ground, live and in the flesh. Marked out of the game as far as i recall..... !!

Any takers??
    Wolfe Tone Youth Club in Bray. Tarzan O'Brien, Robert Doyle, James O' Connor, Danny O'Connor all started here. http://www.wolfetoneyouthclub.com
    All you zombies tweet tweet tweet.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Looks like great work there, must organise a challenge!!

Have a Look at:

http://homepage.eircom.net/~mervilleafc/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Any takers??
    Three of the best must be:
    Joeys of Sallynoggin, Kevins of Whitehall and Belvedere of Fairview who have been responsible for producing a considerable number of internationals players and managers/coaches at all levels.
    Honest! I am not a secret Tim nor a closet Sham - I really am a Seagull.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Seagull
    Wolfe Tone Youth Club in Bray. Tarzan O'Brien, Robert Doyle, James O' Connor, Danny O'Connor all started here. http://www.wolfetoneyouthclub.com
    Played with them myself, but they have declined dramatically lately..... Don't like saying it but Ardmore are looking good....
    Harry and Liam, Harry and Liam, Harry and Liam, Harry and Liam.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    What is the critera to be crowned best?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts
    Although Home Farm are the obvious choice, what about St Kevins

They have had Liam Brady, Stephen Carr, Damien Duff, Alan Maybury, Ian Harte to name a few. There are also a host of EL players like the Lynch brothers and many many more
    Always look on the bright side of life

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Yes Derek What Criteria?

Could be the obvious, such as consistent production of Professional Players. Or maybe the most sucsessful at Youth/ Schoolboy Level?
    Or, Just a Personal Reason, such as enjoyment!! We at Merville United in Sligo try to do all of the above, a task virtually impossible due to lack of resources. Our latest introductory model for young kids, Friday Street Leagues, caters for a wide range of children locally, of all talent, ability and backgrounds. Those who stay interested go on to proper coaching .

In the era of UEFA Licencing having a Academy Requirement, who is going to take it on? !!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tarzan1
    Played with them myself, but they have declined dramatically lately..... Don't like saying it but Ardmore are looking good....
    Looking good for what exactly? And, where's Tarzan's young lad playing?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts
    Yes Derek What Criteria?

Could be the obvious, such as consistent production of Professional Players. Or maybe the most sucsessful at Youth/ Schoolboy Level?
    Or, Just a Personal Reason, such as enjoyment!! We at Merville United in Sligo try to do all of the above, a task virtually impossible due to lack of resources. Our latest introductory model for young kids, Friday Street Leagues, caters for a wide range of children locally, of all talent, ability and backgrounds. Those who stay interested go on to proper coaching .

In the era of UEFA Licencing having a Academy Requirement, who is going to take it on? !!!!
    I did the FAI Kick Start 1 coaching course which caters for age 6-9 and I have to say it's an excellent course. Professionally put together and presented, maybe the FAI are finally getting it right at this level?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts
    Looking good for what exactly? And, where's Tarzan's young lad playing?
    Lookikng good to produce players. Randolph with Charlton is 1 and a couple others with potential up there.... Tarzans young lad is only 4, doesn't have a club at the moment, but i can see already when being with him that he is made to play football, strong left and right foot. Tarzans teaching him a good lot.

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    [QUOTE=drummerboy]Although Home Farm are the obvious choice OTE]

was involved for a few years and while they are a good club i think belvedere
    are probably the best imho

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    The problem in picking a best club is how do you decide on what is the correct way to run a club.

Take the big clubs which I don't want to name but they know who they are.
    They will sign a mountain of players, play the best and forget the rest. This can be an unfortunate way to deal with the kids as the kids who do not "make it" can have a dent put into there confidence.

Then you have the smaller clubs who are caught in between the community based football and the "A" rated football. This is a good way to be but it can cause problems within clubs because some want to win at all costs and some want to have fun.

Then there is the small clubs who take whoever thay can and play in any league that will let them in. The problem here can be the lack of ambition and that can be almost as bad as too much ambition.

All that said I think the best way to judge and this is probably mostly aimed at younger kids say from 5/6 upto maybe 12/13 is to look at how much they enjoy the game of football. If they are smiling after every game win, lose or draw, safe environment where they can build friendships and improve confidence levels. If you see any of those things in a club then something is going right and you maybe looking at one of the best clubs in the land.

When you get into the older age groups it gets more serious, the fun part seems to be less and less important, winning is the important fact. If you see away for the kids to show there talents and the get exposure to maybe a career in football then you maybe looking at one of the best clubs in the land.

Anyway I think St Pauls Artane FC based on Dublin's Northside is a club that contains the elements that I have outlined. They would be I think one the clubs who fall into the medium sized clubs that would have ambitions to become a big club. They have not had many players who went onto the professional game but the do produce happy kids who enjoy football .

Derek.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts
    You have to admire clubs like Kevins and Tolka Rovers who field many teams. For instance Tolka Rovers have 3 under 7 teams. It would be a lot easier for them to take the best twelve or 13 players and have 1 under 7 team but to their credit they manage to field 3 teams, all of whom enjoy themselves. Other clubs concentrate on one team per age group. Their motto would be “quality over quantity”, harsh.
    Always look on the bright side of life

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Cherry Orchard are without any shadow of a doubt the best schoolboy club in the country, they have won the most leagues/cups at the past 4 ddsl awards ceremony.they may not have produced any world beaters as of yet but the likes of Willo Flood & Mark Yeates are surely the next Duff and Keane! Also current Irish internationals include Andy Reid, Alan Quinn and Alan Lee not to mention numerous success stories in the Eircom league
    "float like a butterfly,sting like a bee-his hands cant hit what his eyes cant see!"

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Have to say that when i was playing Schoolboy football, whenever the teams the Orchard, Home Farm, Joeys or belvo came up against us, there was a certain awe factor. This comes from respect because they were always challenging for honours and were/are brilliant underage clubs, which in my opinion is one way to pick out the best clubs-they command respect.
    "it takes two to lie. One to lie and one to listen."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts
    Lookikng good to produce players. Randolph with Charlton is 1 and a couple others with potential up there.... Tarzans young lad is only 4, doesn't have a club at the moment, but i can see already when being with him that he is made to play football, strong left and right foot. Tarzans teaching him a good lot.
    Export players you mean? And Tarzan's lad does have a club, but it ain't Ardmore.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    46 Posts
    Our latest introductory model for young kids, Friday Street Leagues, caters for a wide range of children locally, of all talent, ability and backgrounds. Those who stay interested go on to proper coaching .
    Thats fantastic and its everything the game should be.I involve myself with underage football and it takes 2 nights in the week and most of every saturday. Its all about enjoyment and its often a case that kids often love football, the social interaction's etc without ever been good enough. For those that are good enough the opportunity is their to go up through the different age groups or to be poached by other clubs. I base success on the ability to include just about every boy or girl who has ever wanted to kick a football but doesn't know whether they are good enough or not. They enjoy it, I enjoy it. Its all good.

Brendan

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts
    Export players you mean? And Tarzan's lad does have a club, but it ain't Ardmore.
    What club is he at???? First i've heard!!!! And he is my cuz.....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts
    What club is he at???? First i've heard!!!! And he is my cuz.....
    Wolfe Tone, Saturday mornings. I've seen him in action, all that practice down the Carlisle is paying off! You should go back there, help is always needed. How would be fixed for reffing?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast