Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best Kids Club in Ireland?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    46 Posts
    And of course a big thank you to foot.ie for hosting this thread.

p.s I'd love to see a return to a section on underage football.

Thanks

Brendan Grufferty,PRO
    Drumbar Utd,
    Donegal Town.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Keadue Rovers - facilitities..... ye must be jokin!
    Finn Harps Dot Com
    www.finnharps.com

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by harpskid
    Keadue Rovers - facilitities..... ye must be jokin!
    maybe not the facilities but in terms of how they welcomed us and looked after us,as good as anything we experienced countrywide.
    "tight? he's the kinda guy that eats baked beans on tuesday so's he can have a bubble bath on wednesday"!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by parnell ranger
    maybe not the facilities but in terms of how they welcomed us and looked after us,as good as anything we experienced countrywide.
    Yep, great bunch of people down in Burtonport
    Finn Harps Dot Com
    www.finnharps.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    46 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by parnell ranger
    And that parnell is more important than anything. Its not the club facilities make the club a good club as I found out yesterday. The kids didn't care too much about the muck and the wet weather. Facilities aren't everything Harpskid, just look at Finn Park!!!. Having said that Merville have a lovely wee set up. just too close to the Showground's

Brendan

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Harpsbear
    . Facilities aren't everything Harpskid, just look at Finn Park!!!.
    Never said they were everything! Was just pointing out that Keadue aint exactly a club you'd point to whilst talking about good facilities.

Fanad United would lead the way in Donegal, although a heap of clubs up here have made huge strides in terms of upgrading facilities.

Still a shame that two clubs (Raphoe & Kerrykeel) are being threatened with expulsion from the Donegal League due to lack of the necessary infrastructure
    Finn Harps Dot Com
    www.finnharps.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    46 Posts
    Never said they were everything! Was just pointing out that Keadue aint exactly a club you'd point to whilst talking about good facilities.

Fanad United would lead the way in Donegal, although a heap of clubs up here have made huge strides in terms of upgrading facilities.

Still a shame that two clubs (Raphoe & Kerrykeel) are being threatened with expulsion from the Donegal League due to lack of the necessary infrastructure
    The facilities aren't ideal at Drumbar United but we are not lacking in enthusiasm and effort. The setting of the club is beautiful, the bluestacks to the fore. Its not our facilities that make us the club we are.Kids want to come and play for us because they know we will look after them.I'm just off the phone to a parent of a child related to Harps no. 9 who has been missing at the club due to illness because I wanted to see how he was progressing.The kids and parents appreciate the care. We dont have a separate shower for the referee but sure they dont even have it at Finn Park at our League of Ireland representatives. Granted we dont have a lock on the door of the referee's changing room so no fear of him getting locked in.

Brendan Grufferty,PRO
    Drumbar Utd,
    Donegal Town

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    46 Posts
    Still a shame that two clubs (Raphoe & Kerrykeel) are being threatened with expulsion
    There not the only one's but for different reasons!!! Any word on the situation at Cappry Rovers. Niall promised my U-10's a wee trip over for a floodlit fixture. I refused a certain Kildrum Tigers for a friendly, wains were reported to be far too rough

Brendan

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    . We dont have a separate shower for the referee but sure they dont even have it at Finn Park at our League of Ireland representatives.
    Yes they do!

Not sure what the story is with Cappary. They'll get a heavy fine anyway I suspect. I'd imagine that one could go to court
    Finn Harps Dot Com
    www.finnharps.com

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Thread on Cappary situation HERE
    Finn Harps Dot Com
    www.finnharps.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    46 Posts
    CapparyHERE
    Cappry Rovers

Brendan

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    46 Posts
    So there are separate shower and changing facilities for the referee at Finn Park. Ive been in them dressing rooms often enough. Thats a new one on me.

Brendan

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    So there are separate shower and changing facilities for the referee at Finn Park. Ive been in them dressing rooms often enough. Thats a new one on me.
    Yes!

Beside the away changing rooms - they've had to put them in as the Dublin refs wouldn't be as lenient as Curly, Duddy etc about things such as that
    Finn Harps Dot Com
    www.finnharps.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Mr Admin,
    Can you fix this thread up, there seems to be some topics unrelated the best kids club in Ireland.

Thanks

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Best kids club in Ireland...

Probably Cherry Orchard I'd say or Home Farm.

Up in Donegal there's a load of good kids clubs - Kildrum Tigers, Raphoe Town, Glenea United, Harpsbear's Drumbar, Letterkenny Rovers being just a few off hand
    Finn Harps Dot Com
    www.finnharps.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    46 Posts
    I apologise for I shudn't have continued on the thread after it went off topic. I have but a couple of questions/suggestions. Had it not been for this particular thread I wouldn't have come across a man of the same footballing ethos as myself, that been that football is about fun and enjoyment. Having spent my entire youth on a football field with very often the moon as imaginary floodlights allowing me to play longer and very often on my own, Ive seen the change over the years and while we have a football field here in Donegal I see very few kids actually using it outside of coached session's. Wains are increasingly directed by TV, Playstation's etc and spend less time outdoors than ever.Many do not actually know what it is to play outdoors. Or so I thought the case was, its not entirely that bleak and yes when offered the opportunity to play they are more than willing. Yesterday was a prime example when 22 wains turned up early on sunday morning to travel. I was struck by their eagerness and willingness to get stuck in. Tonight I had a photograph taken for the paper with my underage sides, there must have been a good forty kids or more. This in a small rural town with a population of some 5,000 people and 3 other clubs within a 3 mile radius.

In much the same way as I'd seen at Merville Utd yesterday there is no limit to what can be achieved. I have wee fella's and girls who cannot kick a ball, who are scared of the ball but it doesn't mean they won't come back. With the right encouragement they return stronger and more determined. This is success, this is what its all about and ultimately what I want to see in the game and encourage in the game. I'm proud to say Ive helped a child, supported them, encouraged them. Our club cannot compete with Home Farm or Mervue Utd, nor will we try to. In fact i know a couple of boys just over the road who travel to Home Farm every saturday. That says alot for Home Farm who always have impressed me. At the same time there are players at our club who are without doubt as good as any Ive ever seen. All I will ever look to do is support and encourage them, offer them the opportunities. Its down to them where they want to take it. I will make sure that if and when they have to make a decision they no exactly who to turn to.

I'm always willing to hear from people involved at underage level as I did yesterday in Merville, to hear their vies, to listen to their advice. I would therefore like to see a section dedicated to underage soccer (I dont want to sound pushy on that, if its possible thats all). To learn a wee bit more about whats out there. Any suggestion's or maybe I'm asking to much. It would be nice to create links with people in the same area.

While I'm on the subject just wondering about club's in Roscommon. Underage football is my passion and since my job may just take me there, theirs one thing holding me back currently. I couldn't see myself not been involved at underage level. I just want to continue what I started.

Thanks,

Brendan

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Derek
    Mr Admin,
    Can you fix this thread up, there seems to be some topics unrelated the best kids club in Ireland.

Thanks
    When I started this thread it simply was looking for comment on a subject close to my heart, Underage Football. And thanks to this thread, over 50 kids enjoyed a day out, and went home happy, win or lose. And from my clubs point of view, we see it as an chance to play football at a level unorganised in the Sligo Leitrim Area. I also got a chance to see (And Enjoy!) great talent from Donegal, and I look forward to the return. And tonight, thanks to Derek, I see a chance to give kids in my area, some from disadvantaged backgrounds, a chance to have happy memories for the rest of thier lives!

And thats from one thread!! Not Bad! So as Brendan Said, lets hope for a dedicated section for Underage football Mr. Admin!

As for the best Kids Club in Ireland... any club where all children who participate go home happy, as our lot did yesterday (even those who got thumped!) is worthy of the title!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    224 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MervilleUnited
    Just to say thanking Brendan and his club for coming down to Sligo Today for the challenge: Drumbar United and Merville United
    Played in sticky conditions, both sides are to be applauded for what were bruising, but fair contests. Today, over 50 children enjoyed football, that simply would not have happened without forum such as this

However, I am looking forward to the return, when I get to do a bit of coaching, without the pressures of parental stress!!

Derek: I will be in touch shortly about your offer! Looking forward to it
    I was at that match, Sligo played ye out of the ground,lol
    Life without Rovers, it makes no sense...it's a heartache...nothing but a fools game. S.R.F.C.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Merville, did you check your private messages?

It would be great if you could read them and send me a reply.

Thanks.

Derek.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    46 Posts

Apology

For anyone who has read the my posts above you'll get a feel of the passion I have particularly for underage level football. I work very closely with children during my 9 to 5 and I really enjoy it. There is nothing I love more than to finish work on Monday evening and Wednesday evening and coach children. There's nothing I love more than to tog out on Saturday morning and take to the field. More often than not I'm a bigger wain than most of them.

I have an important decision to make in the coming weeks regarding my future which may take me further south. Its a decision that wont be made lightly and the most important factor is the availability of a club where I can carry on what I have started. If anybody would be so kind as to give me ideas on clubs in the county, contacts etc. Its alot to ask but its an important factor in my decision.

Thanks in advance.

FAO Sligoman
    Here Sligoman I'm still wretching with vision's of the showgrounds. Don't like to see my wains playing to close to that. No offence Merville Utd. It was like a bad dose of food poisoning.

Brendan
    Last edited by Mad Moose; 15/03/2005 at 8:35 AM. Reason: Quoted 'Sligofan' instead of 'Sligoman'

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast