Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2017 Licences

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,196 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by osarusan View Post
    How is it that UCD and Wexford only get FD licences even though they would have had PD licences in the past? Only applied for those licences?
    We had a First Div licence last year too.

I'd say Collie hasn't done his coaching badges still

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Was his name not on the list of participants with Bradly and a few others recently?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    288 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    Was his name not on the list of participants with Bradly and a few others recently?
    Yes.

http://www.fai.ie/domestic/news/fai-...ants-confirmed

4. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,196 Posts
    Fairy nuff. Could be something like a PR person or something. I think we got rid of the CPO back in 09 when it was a Premier only requirement

International Prospect outspoken's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by osarusan View Post
    How is it that UCD and Wexford only get FD licences even though they would have had PD licences in the past? Only applied for those licences?
    Because the FAI just hand out licensees to make life easier for themselves, it's a total waste of time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,196 Posts
    I see on extratime.ie that there's two new clubs this year - Waterford and Wexford.

Neither Wexford Youths nor Waterford United applied to join the league this year.

Did Waterford go bust as well so? Ridiculous that you can go bust and stay at the same level.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    114 Posts
    Waterford were just bought by the Swindon owner, same club per se as far as I'm aware barring the name/ crest change etc. Probably a new holding company alright but they didn't go bust.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,196 Posts
    That's what's strange; wouldn't have thought being bought by Swindon (or their director or whatever) would have tied in with going bust.

But they're clearly grouped in with Wexford in the Fran Gavin interview on extratime.ie.

A new ultimate holding company or company structure shouldn't affect the licence. A new company operating the club should be unnecessary.

All a bit weird.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    Wexford are a decent crew and I don't want them hit with a points deduction but it is NUTS that they can walk away from debts start up again and hey presto ...no problems.
    If I was an investor or a bank loaning money to a LOI side I would have a very close look at it.....no sanctions at all from the FAI for walking away from debt

11. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    Wexford are a decent crew and I don't want them hit with a points deduction but it is NUTS that they can walk away from debts start up again and hey presto ...no problems.
    If I was an investor or a bank loaning money to a LOI side I would have a very close look at it.....no sanctions at all from the FAI for walking away from debt
    Weren't Wexford Youths' debts to Mick Wallace's old construction firm, that is itself now bust and in administration ? In which case any repaid debt would get passed on to Wallace's creditors in a diluted form.

In short - I suspect it's banks and Dublin firms servicing the construction industry who'll take the eventual hit here, but it's all very indirect.

Was the name-change part of walking away from their debts then ?

13. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    *Cough*...Derry City....*Cough*...Cork City...

Countless clubs have done it over the years.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

15. Thanks From:

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EatYerGreens View Post
    Weren't Wexford Youths' debts to Mick Wallace's old construction firm, that is itself now bust and in administration ? In which case any repaid debt would get passed on to Wallace's creditors in a diluted form.

In short - I suspect it's banks and Dublin firms servicing the construction industry who'll take the eventual hit here, but it's all very indirect.

That's my understanding of the Wexford situation though there could be other, smaller creditors that will get hit as well.
    Upwards to the vanguard where the pressure is too high.

17. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    *Cough*...Derry City....*Cough*...Cork City...

Countless clubs have done it over the years.
    Completly agree but there has to be a place and a time to call stop

19. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    Completly agree but there has to be a place and a time to call stop
    While I agree with what you're saying, there's nothing illegal about it.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

21. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    454 Posts
    My understanding in regard to Wexford Youths/ Wexford FC is as follows. The old club, Wexford Youths, was a subsidiary of M&J Wallace and approx. 6m euro was spent on acquiring and developing what is now Ferrycarrig Park. I'm open to correction but I believe that no public grants were received. For some reason, and I'm assuming that money was getting tight, the final 200,000 euros spent on the Ferrycarrig complex was listed as an inter-company loan to the Youths. It was stated at the launch of the new club, Wexford FC, that it was never intended that this money would be repaid.

When a liquidator was appointed to M&J Wallace, negotiations were held with the liquidator in relation to repayment of the 200,000 euros. For whatever reason, these negotiations were not successful, and on 6 January 2017 the loan was called in and the old entity, Wexford Youths, was gone.

Wexford Youths had been busy preparing their licensing application in the old club's name, and it took trojan work by a number of volunteers to prepare all the paperwork and licensing required in the new name of Wexford FC. The FAI have been said to have been extremely helpful in this regard with Fran Gavin being particularly so. All reports are that Wexford came extraordinarily close to losing LOI football.

23. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    While I agree with what you're saying, there's nothing illegal about it.
    From a company law perspective it is but in most leagues it would lead to a points deduction. It just looks bad. Anyway good luck to them...only 4 more sleeps ))

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    From a co law perspective it is legal is what I meant

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    144 Posts
    Should be an automatic 20 point deduction at the start of the season for any 'new' club entering the league on the back of a club in the process of liquidation. If Wexford Youths and Waterford United are in the process of liquidation then their replacements have gained a competitive advantage going into the season debt free

I've alot of sympathy for Wexford's unavoidable situation, they're trying to make a sustainable club out of a mess but deductions should still apply. If Waterford have done the same thing and are now dishing out stupid wages to sign the likes of Kenny Browne, Sander Puri and David McDaid then that's a total disgrace.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,196 Posts
    Here's the article btw - was on mobile earlier and couldn't link as easy.

Within the First Division there will be two “new” clubs with Wexford FC and Waterford FC joining the league. It means that those clubs start the season debt-free, which is a requirement of the licensing process.

There was a certain amount of controversy with the awarding of the licences to those clubs but Fran Gavin stressed that both clubs had met all of the licensing requirements.

“That was the old Wexford Youths,” said Gavin about Wexford Youths debts. “The new Wexford FC are starting afresh. We didn’t have an application for a licence from Waterford United or Wexford Youths this season.

“A new entity in Waterford and a new entity in Wexford applied. They both went through a very rigorous process of club licencing.
    Fran Gavin sounds more like Comical Ali the more you listen to him. Though we know Comical Ali was just doing what he was told...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    47 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EatYerGreens View Post

The liquidator of Mick's company, M&J Wallace, called in a €200k 'loan' that it made to the club. Wexford Youths FC had no assets, other than jerseys, footballs, packets of pasta etc. There was no financial value in issuing a closing down order on the club and it was designed by Cerberus to embarrass Mick because of his vocal criticism of them. The full story will be in our 1st match programme and I'll post it here after it is published

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast