Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Trump

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    581 Posts
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NF2k...youtu.be&t=220

Rudy Giulani on how this executive order came into being, remarkably candid about how it's aimed directly at Muslim's and legally disguised as national security. I'm still wrapping my head around something so blatantly sectarian. Even in-flight crew from those nations aren't allowed land in the States.
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

2. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    Frump's an assh*le, the sooner he's taken out the better.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,611 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Real ale Madrid View Post
    St Cloud , NY/NJ, San Bernardino and Orlando attacks were all carried out by US citizens not refugees.

The Ohio state was carried out by a refugee I think, no fatalities there thankfully.

Edit - 1 fatality in Ohio , looked it up there.
    St. Cloud - came as a refugee
    Dahir A. Adan (c. 1994 – September 17, 2016) was a member of St. Cloud's Somali-American community.[15] He was born in Kenya and moved to the U.S. at the age of two[16][17][18][19] on a refugee visa, becoming a U.S. citizen in 2008.[20][21]
    NY/NJ
    Rahami is a naturalized American citizen who was born in Afghanistan. His family came to the United States as asylum seekers in 1995, when Rahami was seven years old, according to NBC New York.
    Of course the Tsarnaev brothers were refugees too if you're only concerned about body count.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    Sorry, racist assh*le. Plus irrational discrimination v. various minority groups.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,611 Posts
    Been reading this blog for a while now. Always a good read and very informative. Here's his take on Trumps move yesterday.

http://blog.dilbert.com/post/1565322...nd-immigration

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    772 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    St. Cloud - came as a refugee

NY/NJ

Of course the Tsarnaev brothers were refugees too if you're only concerned about body count.
    Ah come on now SkStu you are being facetious there. The question was how many terror attacks were carried out by refugees not people who were refugees in the past FFS , sure everyone is an refugee / immigrant if you go back far enough.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,611 Posts
    What do you mean? These were all people who moved to the USA as refugees or asylum seekers. I'm not asking you to go back generations so I don't know what you mean by your last comment. And I'm not sure why you are limiting to just refugee attacks. It is you that is being facetious in the first place by placing false limitations on what is allowed to be discussed in the context of terrorist attacks.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    772 Posts
    The question was fairly straightforward. How many of these terrorist attacks are perpetrated by refugees? It's you brought up the vetting of these people not me. If you are going to stop every 2 year old refugee in case they grow up to be a mass murder then fine but let's not dress it up as anything other than racial profiling and or racism.

If you REALLY want to discuss terrorism in the US then the real context should be in relation to all Mass Shootings / murders there and while I don't know the stats off hand id wager less than 1% of such crimes are perpetrated by illegal immigrants or refugees.

Signing executive orders banning people from select Muslim countries is a good optical thing for Trump to be doing that will appease his redneck supporters but in reality the only thing it will effect is to cause unnecessary hardship for these people, and the last thing it will have ANY effect on is on terrorist activity.

10. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    581 Posts
    I'm remembering too many of my relatives who got so much abuse as immigrants in the 70's and 80's because of their accent and religion. He doesn't have to make a song and dance about it, but Kenny should cancel the Patrick's Day visit. Bring the bowl to Trudeau instead.

12. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    One for all decent people to sign.
    https://my.uplift.ie/petitions/shamrock-not-in-my-name

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeverFeltBetter View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NF2k...youtu.be&t=220

Rudy Giulani on how this executive order came into being, remarkably candid about how it's aimed directly at Muslim's and legally disguised as national security. I'm still wrapping my head around something so blatantly sectarian. Even in-flight crew from those nations aren't allowed land in the States.
    Is he too thick to realise the galling and abhorrent significance of his admission - that the contrived national security aspect (which is demonstrably nonsense anyway even if taken at face-value) is just a deceitful charade to provide legal or moral cover for explicit Islamophobia - or are those close to Trump really so brazen that being open about the ban's roots and pretext doesn't remotely faze them?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    483 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfman View Post
    Europe has to stand together. It's too dangerous for any Taoiseach to stand up to a US President, particularly one as ill-tempered as Trump.

There absolutely has to be a robust answer to Trump from Europe, but it needs to be agreed in Brussels and be consistent across the EU.
    Last edited by backstothewall; 30/01/2017 at 9:56 PM.
    Bring Back Belfast Celtic F.C.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    500 Posts
    [Split from the election thread here.]

International Prospect bennocelt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    Yeah that's what we need, another petition, lol.

I am sure there are quite a few Irish people who are more than happy that Kenny will meet the new President
    http://www.thejournal.ie/refugees-po...36286-Dec2016/
    But the narrative is once again controlled by the fringe....

If he doesn't go, it might affect the Irish economy. That should be our only concern, IMHO

18. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    772 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bennocelt View Post

If he doesn't go, it might affect the Irish economy. That should be our only concern, IMHO
    Why ? Genuine question - most US business leaders are going to war with Trump soon over the price of medication - or so he would have you believe. You really think Tim Cook cares weather Enda meets with Trump?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    581 Posts
    The Paddy's Day meeting isn't some trade summit. How much private time does any Taoiseach get with any President on the 17th March? Very little I would wager. It's a glorified photo opportunity for both, and its one that Trump doesn't deserve. It's Muslims today. Maybe next year he'll decide not enough Irish voted for him.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    Agreed. He's a Prize Assh*le. Even Enda looks better than him, FFS!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bennocelt View Post
    Yeah that's what we need, another petition, lol.

I am sure there are quite a few Irish people who are more than happy that Kenny will meet the new President
    http://www.thejournal.ie/refugees-po...36286-Dec2016/
    But the narrative is once again controlled by the fringe....

The narrative is controlled by Kenny and the Irish government surely, no? He's said he'll be meeting Trump regardless of the expressed concerns of many Irish citizens. The latter have simply voiced their opinions, but Kenny isn't and won't be controlled by that. He may decide to be influenced, or he may not - after all, petitions are pretty impotent in terms of forcing political change - but's it's still ultimately the choice of Kenny and his government. I think it's important to dispel this notion that the narrative is being controlled by some "politically correct(?) fringe", if that's your insinuation.

Isn't saying that the Irish economy should be our only concern - rather than principles, values, Irish citizens who'll potentially endure hardship or broader humanity - just a form of grand-scale gombeenism? Is there nothing a US president could do for you to think, "Here, wait a minute, lodging some form of protest, disapproval or criticism might be preferable here to just grovelling at a proto-fascist's altar with our smiling Irish eyes and a big pot of shamrock because we want some of that sweet yankee dollar"?

Generally-speaking, it's good to see more people at least politicised to a greater degree than previously by Trump's election - perhaps that's its "silver lining", if there is one, just like Brexit may provoke greater interest in politics and current affairs in Britain as well as Ireland - but let's not pretend that Trump will be unique or an aberration. Trump is just getting warmed up in a role that was made for him.

Edit: What's the relevance of the link to the story on refugees?

23. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    I get a good chuckle out of the likes of Sean Penn, Alec Baldwin and Bruce Springsteen pontificating about Trump's human rights record.

Sean Penn has a history of making questionable comments that could be construed as racist, his son too. He battered Madonna when they were in a relationship. Alec Baldwin, too, has a history of making questionable comments that could be construed as racist. He verbally abused his daughter in a leaked voicemail. Bruce certainly isn't racist or abusive, but he feigned homosexuality and mental illness to avoid serving his country in Vietnam so I think he lost the right to generalise the blue-collar electorate as easily misled racists.

As for Trump's travel ban - Obama did the same thing when he banned visas for refugees from Iraq in 2011.

The mainstream media is so biased against Trump that it makes it difficult to differentiate his actual faults from his real faults.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    772 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOneWhoKnocks View Post
    As for Trump's travel ban - Obama did the same thing when he banned visas for refugees from Iraq in 2011.

The mainstream media is so biased against Trump that it makes it difficult to differentiate his actual faults from his real faults.
    It's literally mind blowingly ironic that you find it difficult to differentiate between facts and his real faults when you prefaced that statement with one of his own lies that you took as a fact. Sensational stupidity.

http://www.vox.com/world/2017/1/31/1...fugee-ban-2011

26. Thanks From:

Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast