Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 UEFA Under-21 Championships

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Belfast's Rory Hale has tweeted his delight at receiving clearance to switch to the FAI and at being selected for the under-21s: https://twitter.com/Roryh96/status/841990612429733889

Quote Originally Posted by Rory Hale
    After a long frustrating 18 months I'm finally cleared and im over the moon to receive my first call up for my country.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    What was his long frustrating 18 months about?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    Couldn't get the ride!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    The FIFA clearance probably took a few months, although I'd be surprised if it took 18 months. I'm not aware of an injury or anything. Any insight here?: http://www.irishnews.com/sport/footb...hrough-636336/

Quote Originally Posted by Brendan Crossan
    Rory is entering his fourth season at recently relegated Aston Villa, Ronan is in his second year with cross-town rivals Birmingham City.

Rory started out with local club St Patrick’s before working his way through Cliftonville’s ranks from U11.

After a series of cross-channel trials, Villa signed him – and the former Milk Cup golden boot winner hasn’t looked back.

To put how far Rory Hale has travelled into context, the striker-turned-midfielder’s final game of last season for Villa saw him come up against Arsenal’s midfield metronome Santi Cazorla at the Emirates Stadium in the U21 play-off final.

“Cazorla was my toughest opponent by a mile,” says Rory, who has signed a one-year extension at Villa Park.

“They beat us 3-1. Arsenal had about six first teamers. Cazorla was my opponent the whole game. He’s so two-footed I didn’t know what foot he was going to hit the ball with. But I held my own at times. He was so smart on the ball, he rarely ran anywhere.

“He was in the right place at the right time... The Emirates was the best stadium I’ve played in and the pitch was like a snooker table.”

Rory made most progress under Tim Sherwood during his short spell as Aston Villa manager – and the north Belfast man is hoping new boss Roberto Di Matteo will cast his eye towards the cream of the club’s U21s ahead of the new season.

On Sherwood’s impact, Rory said: “As soon as Sherwood came in he had me up with the first team, and I was still a second year scholarship and the youngest player.

“Sherwood was brilliant with me and it was a shame he got the sack because he was the one that would have brought me through.

“Mentally, he would always give you confidence. If you lost the ball he would encourage you to get back on the ball, whereas another manager might just yell at you.

“His training sessions were excellent, he was just a lively person.”

The fact that Villa suffered relegation from the Premier League last season may see more youth team players given the chance as the Birmingham club starts to rebuild.

“It can go two ways for me,” explained Rory.

“If they want to go straight back up then I can’t see them playing many youngsters every week. [But] Di Matteo has been appointed and he likes to play young players. If you get one shot at it and you play well, he might stick with you.”

As the new season beckons, Rory’s target is to break into the first team reckoning at Villa or secure a loan move to broaden his experience.

5. Thanks From:

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    Under-21 - Republic of Ireland-Kosovo - Line-ups - UEFA.com http://www.uefa.com/under21/season=2...ups/index.html #IRLKOS
    Last edited by Closed Account; 25/03/2017 at 11:55 AM.

7. Thanks From:

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    1-0 up. Shodipo with our only shot on target it looks like. Not too promising.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,306 Posts
    Ball was bundled over the line, Shodipo played well other than that. Him, Cullen and Whelan (in the first half) were decent. O'Hara doesn't seem to like claiming the ball, much happier to punch or parry it away. Charsley excited and infuriated in equal measure, he either did something excellent in possession or gave it away cheaply. Manning was taken off before he was sent off, the ref liked his cards. Thought Grego-Cox did better the him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts
    Unimpressive performance today. Kosovo hit the post twice in the second half. Their no 7 (Cant remember his name) looked very useful. Shodipo played well but he was really the only Irish player to stand out positively. Thought Manning was awful sat far too deep and misplaced a ton of passes. Unimpressed by the goalie dropped a simple free and made some saves look much tougher than they should have been.
    Last edited by kksaints; 25/03/2017 at 10:57 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Highlights from the 1-0 win over Kosovo:

12. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Lived a bit dangerously alright!

Didn't realise Kosovo has nearly two million people, thought it was a nice bit smaller than that. Those former Yugoslav nations tend to be good technically so maybe not a bad result.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,306 Posts
    Few reports of players being called into a training camp for the U21s in recent days.
    Bobby Moseley posted this on twitter: https://twitter.com/BobbyMoseley3/st...21152585412608
    Delighted to be called up to the 21s for a training camp this weekend. Nice way to finish off the season!
    There was a post on Birmingham City's site about the same camp, but it appears to have been taken down. The google cache of it is still available: http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...ient=firefox-b
    Ronan Hale, Corey O’Keeffe and Daniel Cleary have been asked to attend a forthcoming Republic of Ireland Under-21 International Training Camp.

The Training Camp will take place in Dublin from the 13 to 15 of May. Former Liverpool defender Cleary has already represented the Republic of Ireland Under-21s side 12 times, but Hale and O'Keeffe have so far only been capped up to Under-19s level.

Meanwhile, fellow Blues midfielder Noe Baba has been put on standby for the same camp.
    Last edited by tetsujin1979; 12/05/2017 at 4:00 PM.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,094 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    Few reports of players being called into a training camp for the U21s in recent days.
    Bobby Moseley posted this on twitter: https://twitter.com/BobbyMoseley3/st...21152585412608

There was a post on Birmingham City's site about the same camp, but it appears to have been taken down. The google cache of it is still available: http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...ient=firefox-b
    Interesting fast tracking of Hale but it will do nobody any harm.

Cleary made no first team impression there did he yet? Baba sign up again?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    Interesting fast tracking of Hale but it will do nobody any harm.

Cleary made no first team impression there did he yet? Baba sign up again?
    think baba was released

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,306 Posts
    yeah, he was released: https://twitter.com/noebaba/status/860938709855866880
    Two season, massive thank you to everyone at @BCFC and to all the lads it's been a pleasure
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    What's all this about then.

https://twitter.com/ronanhale9/statu...76211139973121
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronan Hale
    Great experience makin my Republic of Ireland u21 debut. Disappointing result losing 2-1 but buzzin to bang in my first goal for the 21s
    Who'd they play?

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    http://www.bcfc.com/news/article/201...d-3717213.aspx

Meanwhile, Ronan Hale scored on his Republic of Ireland Under-21 debut in a 2-1 friendly defeat to Drogheda United’s senior side.
    Read more at http://www.bcfc.com/news/article/201...FB54qzcQ4Bt.99

20. Thanks From:

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    I go on holidays and everyone forgets about our wee U-21s. Shame on all of you.
    http://www.uefa.com/under21/season=2...417/index.html
    Currently 2-1 up away to giants Azerbaijan (jinx)
    Ryan Manning with 2 (call him up etc)

I wouldn't think they've lined up like below but it's the same on Uefa. Probably Donnellan LB, Kane RB, Whelan CB, Cullen-Charsley-Rice 3 CM, and a front 3 of Curtis, Grego Cox and Manning floating maybe.
    Last edited by Closed Account; 05/09/2017 at 3:46 PM.

22. Thanks From:

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    Goal 3-1, from 4th shot on target....

Grego-Cox this time.

Azerbaijani down to 10 as Jafarov is off.
    Last edited by Closed Account; 05/09/2017 at 4:13 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    199 Posts
    Good win for them yesterday. Those are the games the U21s would usually lose or draw.
    Two home games coming up next month against Norway & Israel. Shame both games are in Tallaght though, be good to see a few of these games spread throughout LOI grounds.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    51 Posts
    What's the table look like at present? ... do you have to finish top or is there play offs for second?

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast