Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 5 of 30 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Republic of Ireland v. Wales - Friday, 24th March 2017 - World Cup 2018 Qualifier

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Are you talking about Griezmann's winner or the sending off? There was no penalty.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Sending off.

Forgot it wasn't a penalty.

God I'm having a nightmare here.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    It's Griezmann's winner that I think he has to take most of the blame for.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,612 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    It's Griezmann's winner that I think he has to take most of the blame for.
    And most of the blame for TOWKs inaccurate posts..

TOWK, if its any consolation, my thoughts were "oh yeah, the France peno - yeah he was definitely at fault for that"

5. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    479 Posts
    He was at fault imo for the Dutch goal in the friendly before the euros as well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    And most of the blame for TOWKs inaccurate posts..

TOWK, if its any consolation, my thoughts were "oh yeah, the France peno - yeah he was definitely at fault for that"
    Ha me too. I was even thinking, "oh come on Stutts, it's obvious what penalty he's talking about".

8. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    squad to be named on Monday morning according to RTE: http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2017/...eland-defence/
    O’Neill will name his provisional squad next Monday morning.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    The FAI have denied the Wales supporters' band - the Barry Horns - permission to bring their instruments into the stadium for the game on the 24th and the band naturally aren't too happy about it: http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wa...-cant-12704311

Quote Originally Posted by Huw Silk
    A Wales supporters’ band have been banned from taking their instruments to this month’s crunch World Cup qualifier against Ireland.

The Barry Horns, who have built up a loyal fan base and who provided much of the soundtrack to Wales’ Euro 2016 campaign , had hoped to take their instruments to the game at Dublin’s Aviva Stadium on March 24.

They were initially told that, despite being able to take their full repertoire of instruments to the various stadiums in France last summer, the 13-strong band would only be permitted to bring in one instrument.

But they say they have now been told that because of security concerns they won’t even be able to take a solitary instrument.

Wales fans have already raised concerns about the low allocation of tickets they have received from the Football Association of Ireland (FAI) for the Friday-night match against their table-topping hosts.

Now many have labelled the FAI “a disgrace” over the latest move.

And Barry Horns trumpet player, Fez, said: “It’s all gamesmanship – they are trying to do any tiny thing to tilt it in their favour.

“For them to do this now makes a mockery of the Celtic goodwill you would expect. They are trying to ruin the Welsh atmosphere – and 3,500 tickets [in the 51,700-capacity stadium] is a joke.”

The band, which was formed in 2011, has been allowed to take its instruments in games across France – including Bordeaux, Lens and Lille – as well as at England’s Wembley Stadium and Scotland’s Hampden Park.

But they have been told the Irish ban is because the instruments are a security risk.

“It’s just trying to do everything they can to make the Wales end as quiet as possible,” Fez added.

“It’s the first time they have been banned from any stadium. Maybe they’ve seen how we get the fans singing loud and proud.

“We will go out there and have a good time – it’s just a shame they have come out with this mean-spirited, running-scared paranoia.

“I am in full Kevin Keegan mode – I will love it if we beat them.”
    Sounds like petty stuff from the FAI. What's the security risk posed by a couple of musical instruments exactly?

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    Is that similar to the English brass band?

Security risk? Trombone up the hole if I heard them anyway.

Good enough that they're banned.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Is that similar to the English brass band?

Security risk? Trombone up the hole if I heard them anyway.

Good enough that they're banned.
    Ha, I suspect they are a similar outfit. They wouldn't be my cup of tea either, but meh... What's the harm if that's what floats their boat?

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    Ah, the world has gone too soft with "What's the harm?" and "Sure let them at it"

Trombone and hole is the harm.

Irritating crap; well done the FAI for once.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    Those brass bands are terribly annoying at games. Great move by the FAI that.

Complaining about 3,500 tickets is another laughing matter altogether. They're only due to get 2,500 under the 5% rule.

If Ireland get 2,000 tickets for the game in Cardiff that'll be the height of it.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Fully in the FAI corner here, for one brief time. Let them sing, isn't that the Welsh way anyway, the choirs and what have you ...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Yeah, the security risk seems a petty excuse but I can't see why we would accommodate and banging atmosphere coming from their supporters. Sorry, but we have a World Cup to qualify for guys. If ye can't make enough noise with your vocal chords then tough sh!t.

As it is, it annoys me that we put the opposition's supporters in such a prominent spot behind the goals, if I'd my way they'd be hidden away in some corner.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    Yeah, the security risk seems a petty excuse but I can't see why we would accommodate and banging atmosphere coming from their supporters. Sorry, but we have a World Cup to qualify for guys. If ye can't make enough noise with your vocal chords then tough sh!t.

As it is, it annoys me that we put the opposition's supporters in such a prominent spot behind the goals, if I'd my way they'd be hidden away in some corner.
    I think if we put them in the top deck and spread them around it would be best. Like we do for the English...
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    I'd seriously consider starting him [McGeady]. Is McClean's starting place in doubt? I love the guy and the passion he brings, but unfortunately he hasn't started for West Brom in months so has no real club form coming into the Wales game, despite being one of our most crucial performers so far in this campaign. McGeady may well be favoured in place of him and it would be hard to argue with such a call.
    I can't see McClean not starting. It's not like he's been out in the cold at West Brom, he's comes on as first sub in most games. There's just no way O'Neill will drop a player who has basically won us four points in the last two matches, is there?

With Bale tending to drift out to the right MON will probably see McClean as a better fit to track back and help out as well. I think if he does make room for McGeady it will be at Hoolahan's expense, but I wouldn't expect that to happen.

I think the main question marks are:

Keogh or O'Shea?
    Arter or Whelan?
    Long or Walters? (History would suggest Walters but I think this will probably reduce Hoolahan's impact. Worse still he'll probably end up bringing on Long and taking off Hoolahan so they'd see little or no time on the pitch together. Therefore I'd start Long, but I suspect O'Neill will go with Walters).

19. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    479 Posts
    He could go with Long upfront, with Wes behind him. Then have Walters on the right, Hendricks and McCarthy in the Centre and one of Mclean or McGeady on the left

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    I watched the Swansea v Burnley game the other saturday, not just to witness the latest exploits of the icelandic hero Gylfi, but there happened to be 3 Irish players on the Burnley team.
    It was a sobering experience, Brady (although banned v Wales) was anonymous, as Trap might say 'little personality', same with Hendricks who added nothing of note. Wardy on the other hand hit the ground running and picked up a yellow card in 10 seconds flat, but managed to solidly plug away through some mistakes and poor positioning to give a decent account of himself. I guess that's the Bale threat scuttled.

Fortunately when the players arrive to play for us the dynamic changes and O'Neill will have them mentally prepared for this high profile game, with Roy in the background saying "lookit, it's only Wales". All the same, I think we are false favourites to win the game.

-

22. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Never mind Walters, it should be either Long and Murphy up front together or one or the other if we are going to pick our strongest team - but of course this isn't even a possibility for some reason.

Walters and Murphy didn't work against Scotland.
    Walters and Long doesn't work.
    Murphy and Long are both better as lone frontmen.
    Murphy and Long were excellent together against Italy and France, and in addition to scoring against Serbia, Murphy put Long through twice.

And is he really a better option than McClean and McGeady out wide at this stage of his career? You would swear McClean and McGeady don't/can't track back.

What really annoys me is that you can tell the idea of dropping/rotating Walters is never even broached.

Aaron Ramsey and Gareth Bale being undroppable okay.

Jonathan Walters undroppable.

Jesus wept.

And you wonder why you never see Coleman having as much success driving forward and linking up at Intl level the way he does at Everton with Gerard Deulofeu or Kevin Mirallas.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    And IMO there would be no point in playing Hoolahan if Walters is the lone forward. It would completely negate the point of playing him.

Look at the performance in Dublin against Scotland in the last campaign.

Whelan, Hoolahan, Murphy and Walters in the same team.

One of the leggiest, leaden performances I have seen in recent memory.

Page 5 of 30 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast