Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 3 of 30 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Republic of Ireland v. Wales - Friday, 24th March 2017 - World Cup 2018 Qualifier

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    61 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan View Post
    Knock Rovers, Knock United, Knock Rangers, Knock Celtic, Knock Town, Knock Wednesday, Knock Off? Any more details? Never heard of them never mind having 4 internationals ?
    Knock FC, see below wiki page on their brief existence:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knock_F.C.

2. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    61 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by samhaydenjr View Post
    Just to bring you up to date, we're debating which Championship players (plus the Aberdeen duo) with five or fewer caps should be blooded into the team against Iceland, where we have a particular opportunity to look at new options, as it follows a qualifier rather than leads up to it - Gibson and Quinn have enough caps (27 and 18 respectively) that we pretty much know what they bring to the team. This is the list of players who fit my criteria

GOALKEEPERS
    Robert Elliott, Mark Bunn
    DEFENDERS
    Aidan White, Corey O’Keefe, Tommie Hoban, Derrick Williams, John Egan, Tom Field, Damien McCrory, Greg Cunningham, Matt Doherty
    MIDFIELDERS
    Harry Arter, Adam Hammill, Stephen Gleeson, Darragh Lenihan, Alan Judge, Callum O’Dowda, Sean Scannell, Eunan O’Kane, Daryl Horgan, Alan Browne, Ryan Manning, Liam Kelly, Anthony Forde, Connor Ronan, Jonny Hayes, Conor Hourihane
    FORWARDS
    Scott Hogan, Lukas Jutkiewicz, David McGoldrick, Joe Mason, Adam Rooney
    Connor Ronan to miss the rest of the season with a stress fracture in his back, just announced today so you can take him off the list. http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/39064624

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    778 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ArFella View Post
    Knock FC, see below wiki page on their brief existence:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knock_F.C.
    The guy who made that site has a whole host of stuff to his name, particularly as regards Northern Irish football https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Mooretwin A piece could now to be added in relation to internationals who played for Knock FC.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    In a thread titled
    Republic of Ireland v. Wales - Friday, 24th March 2017 - World Cup 2018 Qualifier
    why is there all this talk about a lower grade intl friendly, which will in all likelihood be of minimal value in the scheme of things, a bone thrown to the squad members of both countries.
    It's as if the focus is distorted.
    This match against Wales is the most important game in our modern times, pretty much automatic world cup qualification is the glittering prize on the table waiting to be grabbed and winning this game will put Ireland in the driving seat and firm favorites for that prize.

6. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    On one hand, it's not like it's this Saturday Geysir but on the other hand, I do see your point. This place has changed with all the defections.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    In a thread titled
    Republic of Ireland v. Wales - Friday, 24th March 2017 - World Cup 2018 Qualifier
    why is there all this talk about a lower grade intl friendly, which will in all likelihood be of minimal value in the scheme of things, a bone thrown to the squad members of both countries.
    This match against Wales is the most important game in our modern times, pretty much automatic world cup qualification is the glittering prize on the table waiting to be grabbed and winning this game will put Ireland in the driving seat and firm favorites for that prize.
    Maybe a separate thread for the Iceland game would be appropriate for talk not relating to the Wales game.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    602 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    In a thread titled
    Well it's just a thought that's been knocking around in my head over the last couple of months as a number of players have broken through at Championship level, to the point where there are now close to thirty at that level who are uncapped or have only a few caps - a couple of questions arose: With an eye on the Euro 2020 qualifiers and maybe even the latter stages of this campaign, when should we give some of these players a shot? Of these new potential internationals, who should be blooded first. I figured one answer to the first question was the Iceland game, as it comes after the Wales qualifier. And I thought it might be an idea to put the second question to you lads at foot.ie in this thread because a) double-header games often seem to be discussed in one thread and b) I don't know how to start threads/change titles. I'm sure as the games get closer, talk will indeed start to focus on the Wales game but until then, I don't think there's any harm looking at long-term options.
    As to whether this friendly will be of value, well the whole point of me bringing it up is to discuss how to get the most value out of it. One of the two internationals I went to was a pre-World Cup '94 friendly against Russia where the Irish team was depleted through injury forcing a conservative Jack Charlton reluctantly to give three little-known young players their debuts: Gary Kelly, Phil Babb and Jason McAteer. If we play our cards right, this friendly against Iceland could reap major dividends. For example, if Conor Hourihane continues to go from strength to strength over the next few months, or we need to throw on Adam Rooney or David McGoldrick as an extra striker in the fall qualifiers, wouldn't it be nice to know that they had some game-time under their belts?

Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    Maybe a separate thread for the Iceland game would be appropriate for talk not relating to the Wales game.
    If someone wanted to spin it off into a separate thread (or just add it to the title of this thread, as seems to be done for double-header games), I would have no objection

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    602 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by arfella View Post
    connor ronan to miss the rest of the season with a stress fracture in his back, just announced today so you can take him off the list. http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/39064624
    son of a...mother...dammit!!!! Every freaking time!!! The injury curse of the talented irish international strikes again!!!

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    Yes, it's divine payback for overuse of exclamation marks by Irish football fans.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    61 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by samhaydenjr View Post
    Just to bring you up to date, we're debating which Championship players (plus the Aberdeen duo) with five or fewer caps should be blooded into the team against Iceland, where we have a particular opportunity to look at new options, as it follows a qualifier rather than leads up to it - Gibson and Quinn have enough caps (27 and 18 respectively) that we pretty much know what they bring to the team. This is the list of players who fit my criteria

GOALKEEPERS
    Robert Elliott, Mark Bunn
    DEFENDERS
    Aidan White, Corey O’Keefe, Tommie Hoban, Derrick Williams, John Egan, Tom Field, Damien McCrory, Greg Cunningham, Matt Doherty
    MIDFIELDERS
    Harry Arter, Adam Hammill, Stephen Gleeson, Darragh Lenihan, Alan Judge, Callum O’Dowda, Sean Scannell, Eunan O’Kane, Daryl Horgan, Alan Browne, Ryan Manning, Liam Kelly, Anthony Forde, Connor Ronan, Jonny Hayes, Conor Hourihane
    FORWARDS
    Scott Hogan, Lukas Jutkiewicz, David McGoldrick, Joe Mason, Adam Rooney
    Another one bites the dust Sam, Scott Hogan out for up to 5 weeks, at this rate we might not have anyone left within your criteria to call up by the time this game comes around.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/39077191

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    602 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stuttgart88 View Post
    yes, it's divine payback for overuse of exclamation marks by irish football fans.
    Quote Originally Posted by arfella View Post
    another one bites the dust sam, scott hogan out for up to 5 weeks, at this rate we might not have anyone left within your criteria to call up by the time this game comes around.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/39077191
    freaking...damn....arrrggghhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

14. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Very eager for this match. We've some players in decent form - regardless of the opposition they're facing - Clark, McGeady, Horgan, Cunningham, Duffy, Coleman, Brady - all doing well recently.

Striker is a problem, no doubt about it. Surely at this stage, McGeady is going to start?
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    199 Posts
    Massive difference in fortunes between McGeady & McClean since Vienna.
    On recent form McGeady should start but hard to drop McClean given what he has done already in this campaign.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    Can they not both start? Especially if Walters isn't fit.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    I'd say it's unlikely he'll start both of them unless he drops Hoolahan, which I don't think anybody wants.

Brady is suspended but presumably Ward will come straight in at left back (where Brady played in Vienna).

Long missed Vienna so presumably he'll slot straight in if Walters is missing.

It'll probably be...

Randolph

Coleman - Duffy - Clark - Ward

McCarthy - Whelan/Arter

Hendrick - Hoolahan - McClean

Long/Walters

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Sounds like this is going to be a Wale of a task lads.

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KrisLetang View Post
    Sounds like this is going to be a Wale of a task lads.
    Don't Wale too close to the wind now, we missed you.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    163 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    I'd say it's unlikely he'll start both of them unless he drops Hoolahan, which I don't think anybody wants.

Brady is suspended but presumably Ward will come straight in at left back (where Brady played in Vienna).

Long missed Vienna so presumably he'll slot straight in if Walters is missing.

It'll probably be...

Randolph

Coleman - Duffy - Clark - Ward

McCarthy - Whelan/Arter

Hendrick - Hoolahan - McClean

Long/Walters
    mcgeady has been playing that no.10 hoolahan type role but you would think he will stick with wes. back 4 nailed on bar injuries. i think he'll go with walters over long if he is fit with long to resume his usual impact sub role.

i think there will be a strong feeling that a point would be a good result which while true is arguably a slightly dangerous mentality...

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zero View Post
    i think there will be a strong feeling that a point would be a good result which while true is arguably a slightly dangerous mentality...
    yeah, I'm worried about that as well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    i think he'll go with walters over long if he is fit with long to resume his usual impact sub role
    That would be an insane decision to make considering the fact one is unlikely to be match fit by the Wales game and one is in serious form for Southampton.

But I think the penny has to have dropped that he can't play out wide any longer, yet has to be accommodated somewhere.

Page 3 of 30 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast