Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 7 of 30 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Republic of Ireland v. Wales - Friday, 24th March 2017 - World Cup 2018 Qualifier

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,306 Posts
    any excuse to post this goal from John Egan again
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

2. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,306 Posts
    and this one from Liam Kelly
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

4. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    672 Posts
    Happy enough with the squad notwithstanding it's usual bloated nature.

Don't rate Sheridan, though I do respect his experience and willingness to do something different. But if we're talking about looking at options, I'd rather see some of our promising midfielders included rather than a striker who won't make it imo.
    Ou-est le Centre George Pompidou?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zero View Post
    maybe sean maguire could have been called up to the provisional squad at least - however it would likely mean him missing some important games for cork city.
    In terms of potential internationals currently playing in the League of Ireland, I feel Paddy McEleney would merit immediate rather than future consideration too.

Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    O'Neill dripping with sarcasm
    “He (Ronald Koeman) is disappointed that he’s got another injury,” said the Irishman, “but I don’t think we can be blamed for that. We haven’t had him for the a few months, Everton have had him all the while so I don’t think any blame could attach to us.... although you never know.”
    Lovely.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Tony O'Donoghue has stated on Soccer Republic (seemingly with the benefit of having spoken to Martin O'Neill) that John O'Shea is likely to start in defence against Wales due to the injury issues with other defenders.

Peter Collins also mentioned that one quarter of the provisional squad have played in the League of Ireland.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    604 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    39 man squad named, including every Irish midfielder: https://twitter.com/FAIreland/status...42409883324416
    ...except Darragh Lenihan. Which begs the question: why no love for the Blackburn trio (Lenihan, Williams, Hoban)? I mean, I know they're having a tough season but all three are young players who are firmly established in the Championship, yet can't seem to get international recognition. Also, does the absence of Hogan and Jutkiewicz mean we should give up on the possibility of them declaring for us - did MON address this issue?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    672 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by samhaydenjr View Post
    Also, does the absence of Hogan and Jutkiewicz mean we should give up on the possibility of them declaring for us - did MON address this issue?
    Hogan's injured for weeks. I'm not sure if there's an issue with Jutkiewicz declaring or not, we know he's eligibility don't we? Think he just hasn't got a call up.
    Ou-est le Centre George Pompidou?

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,094 Posts
    ...except Darragh Lenihan. Which begs the question: why no love for the Blackburn trio (Lenihan, Williams, Hoban)? I mean, I know they're having a tough season but all three are young players who are firmly established in the Championship, yet can't seem to get international recognition. Also, does the absence of Hogan and Jutkiewicz mean we should give up on the possibility of them declaring for us - did MON address this issue?
    What defender would you have them there ahead of? It took Egan long enough. Hoban has been injured a bit this season. Williams is surely firmly behind Cunningham in the extended queue. Is Lenihan going to get in the squad for a crunch match ahead of McShane or Pearce? Boyle has European experience.

EDIT: Is Lenihan back in midfield or still centre half for his club?

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,094 Posts
    Great to see Kelly getting included. It probably came too soon for Manning but June won't be long coming for him and he's due to win his first under 21 cap too. They are too wonderfully technical midfielders for the future.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,690 Posts
    Harry Arter having a scan but it doesn't sound too serious

http://www.bournemouth.vitalfootball...e.asp?a=483976

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    According to Emmet Malone, O'Neill insists McClean and McGeady can play in the same team, although Malone thinks McGeady is more likely to appear from the bench if he gets game-time against Wales: http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/socc...eady-1.3008884

Quote Originally Posted by Emmet Malone
    [McGeady's] problems at club level have certainly limited his opportunities on the international stage over the past couple of years although more recently James McClean’s form for Ireland has been at least as big a factor.

O’Neill insists the pair can play in the same team and Robbie Brady’s suspension might just open the door to the 30-year-old but an appearance from the bench looks a more realistic prospect despite his consistently strong form for Preston on the Championship this season.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Danny, is there some easy way to get
    Originally Posted by Emmet Malone

into a newspaper quote?

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,094 Posts
    I would be shocked if McGeady wasn't starting...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    Danny, is there some easy way to get
    Originally Posted by Emmet Malone

into a newspaper quote?
    When you're typing up a post, place/wrap "quote" tags around the quoted text (which I usually just copy and paste from a particular article), like so:

[QU*TE]Quoted text.[/QU*TE]

(I've used an asterisk there instead of an "O" as the tags won't show up in this post if I include the full word "QUOTE".)

Then include an "equals" sign (=) within the first "quote" tag after "QUOTE" followed by the name of whoever it is you are quoting.

If you wish to include Emmet Malone's name, for example, you'd do it like so:

[QU*TE=Emmet Malone]Quoted text.[/QU*TE]

(Once again, I've used asterisks there instead of the "O".)

Is that what you mean?

17. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    I've got it now, thanks Danny

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Invincible
    The lady IFA doth protest too much, methinks’

19. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    357 Posts
    McGeady needs to start. I watched the Reading game last weekend and his confidence is sky high. He changed wings, I think, when Horgan went off and this versatility might just cause lots of confusion in the Welsh defence. McClean has been great in the last few matches, so what a great headache O'Neill has.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    604 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    What defender would you have them there ahead of? It took Egan long enough. Hoban has been injured a bit this season. Williams is surely firmly behind Cunningham in the extended queue. Is Lenihan going to get in the squad for a crunch match ahead of McShane or Pearce? Boyle has European experience.

EDIT: Is Lenihan back in midfield or still centre half for his club?
    I know there are no absolute arguments here but I would note that they all have more Championship experience than Boyle, Egan, O'Dowda, Horgan and Kelly. Hoban, in particular, could have had an even better record had it not been for injury and Watford's weird (albeit successful) loan policy and should really get a chance at some point. Williams, meanwhile, was regularly preferred to Cunningham at Bristol City. And where the much-vaunted Jack Byrne failed to nail down a place in Blackburn's first XI, Lenihan has managed to do so (I didn't know he was being used as a centre-half, but he kept his place when Hoban returned last week so I guess he might be back in midfield). Now I probably wouldn't have any of them in the final squad for the crunch game against Wales but, as I mentioned earlier in this thread, the Iceland game gives us the opportunity to experiment a little - like I said, there's no major reason why this trio should be chosen over others, but I think they should certainly be in the conversation for upcoming friendlies.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,094 Posts
    I know there are no absolute arguments here but I would note that they all have more Championship experience than Boyle, Egan, O'Dowda, Horgan and Kelly. Hoban, in particular, could have had an even better record had it not been for injury and Watford's weird (albeit successful) loan policy and should really get a chance at some point. Williams, meanwhile, was regularly preferred to Cunningham at Bristol City. And where the much-vaunted Jack Byrne failed to nail down a place in Blackburn's first XI, Lenihan has managed to do so (I didn't know he was being used as a centre-half, but he kept his place when Hoban returned last week so I guess he might be back in midfield). Now I probably wouldn't have any of them in the final squad for the crunch game against Wales but, as I mentioned earlier in this thread, the Iceland game gives us the opportunity to experiment a little - like I said, there's no major reason why this trio should be chosen over others, but I think they should certainly be in the conversation for upcoming friendlies.
    I'm not disagreeing with you completely but there's a bit too much competition in the squad for a competitive match like Wales that we will need the defensive experience the likes of Pearce and McShane if we are struck by injuries. I think Hoban has the most potential of the lot. He showed more than the other pair at a younger age.

Lenihan was playing centre half last night per LiveScore. All three started.

They definitely should be in the conversation for the upcoming friendlies, along with a lot of other players at a similar level such as Manning, Cullen, Forrester, Cunningham, potentially Robinson and I'm sure I'm missing a few.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    167 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    I would be shocked if McGeady wasn't starting...
    So would I. I would give McGeady a free role in the team. Let him run through the middle, or down the wings - wherever he sees an open space.
    Put Hoolahan at the top of a midfield diamond and Arter at the other end to protect our defence and go from there.
    Hopefully we won't need to call on an impact player coming off the bench on the night, but that player would be Walters for me.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,690 Posts
    I think the Iceland game will be useful but not for widespread experimentation. If 2 or 3 of Doherty, Hourihane etc. get a run out it'd be great. I expect Horgan will get a start for this one.

Page 7 of 30 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast