Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 29 of 30 FirstFirst ... 1927282930 LastLast

Thread: Republic of Ireland v. Wales - Friday, 24th March 2017 - World Cup 2018 Qualifier

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,821 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbyrne View Post
    cant agree with this. the ref had his hand in his back pocket for the red within a second of the challenge when he had no idea if the leg was broken or not. Taylor connected with Coleman mid shin after sliding in and that's a red all day to me.

players owe each other a duty of care and when you go in like Taylor did you need to be pretty sure you are going to come away with the ball cleanly if you are going to go in like that.
    100% on the whole post. He didn't hesitate to send him off.
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Is anybody actually saying that players don't owe each other a duty of care?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,821 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    Is anybody actually saying that players don't owe each other a duty of care?
    No. But there is a some sort of prevailing notion that the intent or the past of Taylor is what we should be looking at here. In fact there's an underlying commentary (not just on here) that it was the referee that made Taylor be reckless because of that he let go. So those of us who disagree will keep making that same point.
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    He got a red card for not showing his opponent due care. Of course the level of intent has to be taken into consideration when determining any extra punishment. Drawing a line completely through the level of 'intent' is just not very practical I don't think.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    493 Posts
    All players do owe each other a duty of care. One of the things that most concerns me about refereeing is how those tackles are let go in park football where the players have real jobs they can lose if they end up breaking their leg on a Saturday afternoon or Sunday morning.
    Last edited by backstothewall; 27/03/2017 at 7:09 PM.
    Bring Back Belfast Celtic F.C.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    Serbias defence is brutal, but if you don't utilise your strengths against an opponents weakness then it doesn't make a difference. They will be more attack minded when they come to Dublin, I can not see us winning that game at all. Be like so many others before them. 1-1 written all over it.
    More attack minded than what?

If their defence is that brutal then of course we can beat them. I think overall we're pretty okay at utilising our strengths. What do you consider those strengths to be? It was mainly set pieces in the last campaign that served us so well, and indeed against them a couple of months back.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,747 Posts
    It's too early to make predictions. Only 3 weeks ago this forum was awash with posts about how all our key players are fit and playing regularly and when match day came around we had a pretty threadbare squad. If we have a full XI I'd think it's there to be won. Without our creative players I think we could lose by a couple. I'm not convinced we really have it in us under MON to play without fear and caution though, unless it's a Lille type win or bust.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Yeah Austria is all that matters for now. At the half way point I think we can be pretty chuffed though, especially considering ourselves and Wales had the most difficult starts on paper (i.e. 2/3 games against the 'Big Four' were away).

Did we play without fear and caution against Sweden at the Euros, at least for the first hour or so? I'm not too concerned about that in any case. Pragmatic football is fine by me but obviously we will need to be a bit more threatening in our two big home games to come.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,747 Posts
    To have the luxury of being able to lose game 6 yet still being guaranteed of at being least second going into the next game is pretty rare alright.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CraftyToePoke View Post
    See this is it, on TV the other night Taylor spat on the ground as he left the arena, now players spit all the time, and I don't want to crucify him for it, I'm willing to believe the tales of his remorse, but at the time with RTE saying there will be no replays of the challenge etc, that spit moment as he passed the Irish bench, made me want to do the time for his murder.
    Taylor seemed to indicate or gesture some form of apology to Roy Keane on his way past the Irish bench and Roy patted him on the back or shoulder, if I recall correctly, as if to acknowledge Taylor's remorse and accept that he didn't mean to injure Coleman.

What do you think Taylor spitting indicated? I don't think a huge deal can be read into spitting on the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by backstothewall View Post
    IMHO Taylor was sent off not because of the tackle, but because Coleman broke his leg. If Coleman jumps back up and trots off without any ill effect i'd speculate Taylor probably gets away with a booking.

Players throw themselves into tackles like that all the time. It's incredibly rare for it to go as badly wrong as it did for Coleman. Throwing the book at him for breaking Colemans leg will achieve nothing because no player goes into a tackle worrying about breaking the other guys leg.

If we want to stamp those sort of challenges out it isn't about stiff punishments for people who break another guys leg. It needs to be about stiffer punishments for the guys who don't hurt anybody, get up, take their booking and think no more about it. I'm sure Neil Taylor feels bad enough already
    Arguably, James McClean's tackle against Milik when he came on against Poland in Dublin during the last Euros qualifying campaign could be placed in the dangerous/excessive red-card category, yet McClean was roundly applauded for his aggression, and this was in spite of the fact Milik was kept out of action for a few weeks after the game as a result.

As far as Taylor's tackle was concerned, I'm pretty sure the ref was going straight for the red card in his pocket and waved it at Taylor before he even looked at Coleman to gauge the seriousness of the damage done.

Quote Originally Posted by BonnieShels View Post
    I'm tired of this intent shoite being bandied about. Everyone who goes out on the pitch has a duty of care to the other players. Taylor had a duty of care not to recklessly challenge in the fashion that he did and the same goes for Bale.

Taylor should have the book (or whatever way UEFA/FIFA keep their rules bound) thrown at him. But likewise to anybody who tackles that way whether causing injury or not.
    Yup, the rule-book is pretty clear: http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/foot...al.pdf#page=86

Quote Originally Posted by Laws of the Game
    Sending-off offences

A player, substitute or substituted player who commits any of the following offences is sent off:

• denying the opposing team a goal or an obvious goal-scoring opportunity by deliberately handling the ball (except a goalkeeper within their penalty area)
    • denying an obvious goal-scoring opportunity to an opponent moving towards the opponents’ goal by an offence punishable by a free kick (unless as outlined below)
    • serious foul play
    • spitting at an opponent or any other person
    • violent conduct
    • using offensive, insulting or abusive language and/or gestures
    • receiving a second caution in the same match

A player, substitute or substituted player who has been sent off must leave the vicinity of the field of play and the technical area.

Serious foul play

A tackle or challenge that endangers the safety of an opponent or uses excessive force or brutality must be sanctioned as serious foul play.

Any player who lunges at an opponent in challenging for the ball from the front, from the side or from behind using one or both legs, with excessive force or endangers the safety of an opponent is guilty of serious foul play.

Violent conduct

Violent conduct is when a player uses or attempts to use excessive force or brutality against an opponent when not challenging for the ball, or against a team-mate, team official, match official, spectator or any other person, regardless of whether contact is made.

In addition, a player who, when not challenging for the ball, deliberately strikes an opponent or any other person on the head or face with the hand or arm, is guilty of violent conduct unless the force used was negligible.
    There is no intent required for a tackle to be deemed serious foul play, so, even if Taylor didn't mean it, he can have very little complaint about being sent off. Intent can come into violent conduct, however.

11. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    All pretty subjective though. What's excessive force to me might not be excessive force to you. McClean is a good example actually, certainly as a case could be made for excessive force there and I remember getting shot down for debating a Ciaran Clark tackle for Villa along the same lines on here.

It might not be in the rules or whatever but 'intent' surely has a big part to play? Why would Deli Alli get an extra ban on top of the straight red otherwise? In terms of endangering his opponent the only thing that separated it from the likes of Taylor's one was the level of intent I think. But, yeah, agreed - Taylor's is a red card regardless of intent. I think everybody agrees with that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Yeah Austria is all that matters for now. At the half way point I think we can be pretty chuffed though, especially considering ourselves and Wales had the most difficult starts on paper (i.e. 2/3 games against the 'Big Four' were away).
    For what it's worth, we're still very slight favourites with the bookies to win the group: http://world-cup.betting-directory.c...qualifying.php

It would have been lovely had Georgia scored that sitter to put them 2-0 ahead against Serbia before giving away a daft penalty and/or had McClean's late volley nestled into the corner of Hennessy's net instead of taking a deflection for a corner, but as Paul says, to be in such a comfortable position at this juncture would be so utterly atypical so as to be distinctly un-Irish!

14. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    All pretty subjective though. What's excessive force to me might not be excessive force to you.
    Agreed, and indeed this is why you'll have inconsistency across the board in terms of what refs deem excessive and acceptable.

It might not be in the rules or whatever but 'intent' surely has a big part to play? Why would Deli Alli get an extra ban on top of the straight red otherwise? In terms of endangering his opponent the only thing that separated it from the likes of Taylor's one was the level of intent I think.
    You make a fair point. Would Deli Alli's have crossed into the (presumably a bit more serious) violent conduct category?

16. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Usual blog on the game for those that follow it. Few thoughts on what I made of the Bale and Taylor challenges as well.

Cymru Plaid Their Cards Wrong
    Last edited by Drumcondra 69er; 27/03/2017 at 5:23 PM.
    Irish Football Blog - A False First XI - http://afalsefirstxi.blogspot.ie/

Twitter: @afalsefirstxi

To Follow on Facebook go to:https://www.facebook.com/afalsefirstxi/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,695 Posts
    would it be fair to say that Bale's tackle on O'Shea was as bad as Taylor's was on Coleman? They were both ridiculously late, over the top and reckless - the only difference being that Taylor snapped a standing leg whereas Bale chopped the kicking leg.

I think that these tackles (not to mention the boots to the head (Whelan) and chest (McClean)) show that Wales came out in the 2nd half under very specific orders to test the line of what the ref would accept. I agree with Pauls assertion (similar to my own) that the ref was good in that he let a lot go but that also he was bad in that he let too much go and Wales pushed that grace to the limits.

In the cold light of day, I think Wales should be ashamed with how they came out to play in that 2nd half from a physicality perspective. There's enough evidence to show they came out with a different mindset. I think its scummy.
    I like high energy football. A little bit rock and roll. Many finishes instead of waiting for the perfect one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    247 Posts
    I don't know Stu, I doubt the players are being sent out to break legs. Perhaps they were told to play aggressively but I think that's different than what we saw.

I was shouting for Bale to be sent off for that late slide on O'Shea -- I thought that was atrocious. I'm sure the ref had a think too but perhaps the name on the back of the player's jersey saved him.

Suspect this was less a tactical move to come out physically and more a reaction to Wales feeling a bit desperate to get a win.
    Eirebhoy's "We Love You" Chant. RIP:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7UfSbASyrQ

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,695 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by irishfan86 View Post
    I don't know Stu, I doubt the players are being sent out to break legs. Perhaps they were told to play aggressively but I think that's different than what we saw.

I was shouting for Bale to be sent off for that late slide on O'Shea -- I thought that was atrocious. I'm sure the ref had a think too but perhaps the name on the back of the player's jersey saved him.

Suspect this was less a tactical move to come out physically and more a reaction to Wales feeling a bit desperate to get a win.
    Just to be clear, I wasn't saying that they came out to break legs or cause serious injury but they came out to play far more physically and test a lenient ref on where his line was. In the process they went way beyond acceptability to the extent that they committed a potentially career ending offense to find out where that line was. Taylor sees Bale gets yellow therefore he is encouraged to commit a similarly reckless tackle based on the ref's line. I will take back the word "scummy" and replace it with "reckless".
    I like high energy football. A little bit rock and roll. Many finishes instead of waiting for the perfect one.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,922 Posts
    I wouldn't overthink about the tackles too much, but at the same time I wouldn't put it past Coleman to have hyped up the physicalities at half time.

The state of affairs now is that we have to beat Georgia away, a few days before we meet Serbia and if anyone thinks that there's no home and away effect when it comes to Georgia, is living in cuckoo land. I don't think we missed an opportunity to beat Wales, a draw was a reasonable outcome on the day that was in it and that hurt Wales more than it hurt us, nevertheless, Wales with some glimmer of hope are well capable to give Serbia a game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    Just to be clear, I wasn't saying that they came out to break legs or cause serious injury but they came out to play far more physically and test a lenient ref on where his line was. In the process they went way beyond acceptability to the extent that they committed a potentially career ending offense to find out where that line was. Taylor sees Bale gets yellow therefore he is encouraged to commit a similarly reckless tackle based on the ref's line. I will take back the word "scummy" and replace it with "reckless".
    Play that is deemed to be reckless warrants a yellow card, according the rules. When play is deemed to be dangerous (in terms of its potential to threaten a player's safety or cause injury) or excessively forceful, it crosses into red-card territory.

Quote Originally Posted by Laws of the Game
    Direct free kick

A direct free kick is awarded if a player commits any of the following offences against an opponent in a manner considered by the referee to be careless,reckless or using excessive force:

• charges
    • jumps at
    • kicks or attempts to kick
    • pushes
    • strikes or attempts to strike (including head-butt)
    • tackles or challenges
    • trips or attempts to trip

If an offence involves contact it is penalised by a direct free kick or penalty kick.

• Careless is when a player shows a lack of attention or consideration when making a challenge or acts without precaution. No disciplinary sanction is needed
    • Reckless is when a player acts with disregard to the danger to, or consequences for, an opponent and must be cautioned
    • Using excessive force is when a player exceeds the necessary use of force and endangers the safety of an opponent and must be sent off

Cautions for unsporting behaviour

There are different circumstances when a player must be cautioned for unsporting behaviour including if a player:

• attempts to deceive the referee e.g. by feigning injury or pretending to have been fouled (simulation)
    • changes places with the goalkeeper during play or without the referee’s permission
    • commits in a reckless manner a direct free kick offence
    • commits a foul or handles the ball to interfere with or stop a promising attack
    • handles the ball in an attempt to score a goal (whether or not the attempt is successful) or in an unsuccessful attempt to prevent a goal
    • makes unauthorised marks on the field of play
    • plays the ball when leaving the field of play after being given permission to leave
    • shows a lack of respect for the game
    • uses a deliberate trick to pass the ball (including from a free kick) to the goalkeeper with the head, chest, knee etc. to circumvent the Law, whether or not the goalkeeper touches the ball with the hands
    • verbally distracts an opponent during play or at a restart

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,695 Posts
    To be fair, I wasn't referencing the rule book.

24. Thanks From:

Page 29 of 30 FirstFirst ... 1927282930 LastLast