Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: When Saturday Comes magazine

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts

When Saturday Comes magazine

There's a full page on Dundalk's exploits in Europe in the latest When Saturday Comes, for those interested in that sort of thing (Feb 2017 issue with Man City on the cover)

2. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Good shout. I buy it all the time when I think to. Defo buying it now.
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    360 Posts
    The article was written by a regular contributor on here ! In fairness its an excellent magazine, been getting it for years.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    I suspect the OP is aware of that.

I see the letters page includes a letter describing Ryle Nugent as "a weapons-grade gob****e"

Slightly surprised that made it past the censors, but kudos to them for it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    170 Posts
    Good article Sean. Looking forward to the letters page now

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    Had to laugh at the quote they decided to put in a text box: "Dundalk is as close as you get to a soccer heartland in a country notorious for it's contemptuous attitude to its domestic league"

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Sligo fans might disagree

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    In fairness, there are a couple of places in the country that could be described as 'soccer' heartlands, where football has traditionally been the main sport = Dundalk, Sligo, Athlone, Cobh.

Plus anywhere in the north that isn't rural

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    I suspect the OP is aware of that.

I see the letters page includes a letter describing Ryle Nugent as "a weapons-grade gob****e"

Slightly surprised that made it past the censors, but kudos to them for it.

Brilliant, I missed that bit and only read it last night, kudos to both the writer and the editors ! Anyone who missed it, the letter basically said Nugent wanted Rugby, Rugby and more Rugby on RTE, which is not a lie.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts
    This month's When Saturday Comes magazine (August issue) has an article on League of Ireland
    in their 'Season in Brief' column.
    It covers the season of 2006 . It is an interesting read and worth buying .

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    360 Posts
    Great stuff, I have it already, get it by post, saving it for holidays at the end of the month. They are more than decent with LOI articles, at least 2 per year.

Just as well they didn't feature 2007 season, and Maxi's antics at Merrion Square !

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts
    Oriel I think an article about Maxi, Tom and other LOI 'characters ' would go down a treat in WSC - go in you know you want to write it

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    360 Posts
    Not a bad idea, and that's one thing certainly not missing from the LOI, 'characters'

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    194 Posts
    Loose definition of the term "loi character" if you're including Maxi.
    AND.... The only person who could write an article about him would be.......Maxi.
    Yeah,i cant stand the guy and neither can a lot of DFC fans.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts
    I get it every month..Have read most of it but didn't look to the end yet so that's a nice bonus...LOI gets some good coverage in it, fair play to the lad that contributes

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    360 Posts
    I was walking to work in Dublin this am, dreadful wet morning, saw a Rovers fan with training jacket and carrying a black umbrella. Reminded me of 'umbrella man' anyone remember him, the Rovers fan who ran at Pats fans in Richmond on the pitch at least 10 years ago, brandishing the said article?

The gentlemen's game !

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    360 Posts
    Always a magazine worth buying, this months (May edition) has a feature on countries that switched to summer, and LOI gets a good plug as a success comparing our friends in the north as the opposite. I thought it was strange though they used a photo of Rovers in EL action in 2011 (P6 L6) as opposed to Dundalk in 2016 (P6 W1 D1) but anyway.

On the IL link, I was amazed to hear today on BBC NI that the Crusaders guy interviewed talking about 'training on tuesday night and BOTH training sessions next week' (they have 2 games left to win the league) now I know its part time, but I was thinking, 2 games to win it, would you not go full prep for the final run in and train every night for the last few weeks?

Dundalk are staying over in a hotel in Limerick on Mon night and we are not even close to half way, yes finances make it easier for things like this, but I just don't understand the lack of planning with the NI teams and this is the same club (Crusaders) who's manager missed not one but two CL qualifying matches as he was on holiday last few years.

The appetite in NI appears to be not to switch to summer football, we share the exact same climate, I think its a massive opportunity lost.
    Last edited by oriel; 15/04/2018 at 12:05 AM.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oriel View Post
    On the IL link, I was amazed to hear today on BBC NI that the Crusaders guy interviewed talking about 'training on tuesday night and BOTH training sessions next week' (they have 2 games left to win the league) now I know its part time, but I was thinking, 2 games to win it, would you not go full prep for the final run in and train every night for the last few weeks?
    It's an amateur league. You're not going to get that sort of commitment from a squad outside Linfield. Even if the club wanted to do it you'd imagine there'll be a handful of guys who work evenings they're not in training, so you'd be working with a split squad, and that's assuming the manager doesn't have his own commitments to be able to do it. I think if it was a club down here it'd get done but it's a different culture in that league.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    If they did it in England, NI would hot foot it after. Sadly things dont happen in NI for the betterment of things but to make sure that they are not doing things differently from the rest of the UK (when it suits them).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    360 Posts
    Yeah its hard to see them moving away from the 3pm on a Saturday slot too, just seems so backward playing at that time in this day and age with so many other things going on. I remember well the 3.30 Sunday kick offs in the LOI (2.15 in winter for those with no lights) but now Sunday's are a total family day.

On the actual article itself, there is no way the NI teams will ever improve in europe if they don't change their set up, no reason a few of them couldn't take the lead on this and trial even 'part full time' , but maybe they budget for one round only in europe, they bizarely all seem very happy with the current scene up there, and as I said in previous post, I dont see an appetite for them to change seasons anytime soon.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast