Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wexford Youths winding-up order?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    201 Posts

Wexford Youths winding-up order?

Just seen headline on Twitter from Sunday Times editor, stating that the club face a winding-up order over a €200k debt:

https://mobile.twitter.com/JohnBurns...94583586721793

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts
    Hope it doesn't happen. The Wexford football public need to get behind the club.

3. Thanks From:

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    The FAI owns the ground doesn't it? Worst case scenario they come back as Wexford FC and still play out of Ferrycarrig. Who do they owe €200k to anyway?
    Upwards to the vanguard where the pressure is too high.

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    581 Posts
    The Revenue?

I kid. I hope everything works out. Notwithstanding my distaste for Wallace, Youths are a good club.
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

6. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    It's all so predictable.

Clubs with no fans eventually go bust. Can the people in charge of the licensing process not understand this??

Nice bunch of people at Wexford Youths though.

8. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    I really hope Wexford come through this. I really like the club and the setup down there is excellent and loads of potential to grow a really good club there.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

10. Thanks From:

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    581 Posts
    How much did Wexford spend between the promotion season and last year? Were there any ground improvments or other major spending?
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    644 Posts
    On a personal level I'm absolutely delighted for mick wallace. Would be a pity for all the volunteers and that.

One dot on the league of ireland map I wouldn't miss. It's easier to get to the moon from Limerick than wexford on a Friday.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    644 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by White Horse View Post
    Clubs with no fans eventually go bust. Can the people in charge of the licensing process not understand this??
    You're not wrong.

Trouble is you're sort of advocating a three team league.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,196 Posts
    Hope Wexford pull through this (but "expenses", eh?), but it does highlight that the league is facing a crisis of sustainability. How will Athlone fare with an extra team to field? How long will Cabo survive? What would have happened Waterford or Bray had investors not come on board? And in the meantime, no-one seems to want to join the First Division (and who can blame them).

But it's OK. A ten-team league and live scores at bus stops will sort everything.

15. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    144 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Hope Wexford pull through this (but "expenses", eh?), but it does highlight that the league is facing a crisis of sustainability.
    The League has had this problem for years, but more so the past 10 years under the FAI's tenure. Half of the teams in the LOI are completely dependent on survival by 'investors', loans or very generous individuals happy to burn their money. This is exactly the unsustainable model the FAI have created as it means the FAI don't actually have to put in any effort to grow the league like they have done for the past 10 years.

I also can't wait for the lecturing from Stephen McGuinness on how we don't need clubs like Wexford Youths but more full-time clubs to pay his member's wages through the generosity of 'investors' like property developers
    The Leinster Senior League needs a strong Bohemians

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    144 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeverFeltBetter View Post
    How much did Wexford spend between the promotion season and last year? Were there any ground improvments or other major spending?
    There were ground improvements, they employed Shane Keegan full-time but no other major spending last season. I'd say the 200k has been accumulated over the years.
    The Leinster Senior League needs a strong Bohemians

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,196 Posts
    I don't know if it's entirely the FAI's fault to be fair. The country has gone bust in the last ten years, which really hasn't helped. This thread wouldn't be here if Wallace could throw 200k at the problem and make it go away, for example.

But I do think they deserve criticism for ignoring the basic sustainability of the league, and for doing nothing to introduce new clubs.

Interestingly, both issues are discussed in the PCA document. Neil O'Riordan in The Sun yesterday seems to be advocating it too, although without mentioning it by name - https://www.thesun.ie/sport/football...14-_-777740107

But while the FAI blame the clubs for the state of the league, nothing's really going to change.

18 team league anyone? 10-team Premier and 8-team First?

I think UEFA requires a two-tier structure of 7 teams each at a bare minimum. We're not a million miles away from having no league at all here.

But hey, extra manager controversy (Gabay) and sales of TV rights to Mali (Conroy); that'll fix everything.

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    Seems the debt is owed to Mick Wallace's construction company which is in liquidation. The liquidator has a legal obligation to bring in as much of the money owed to the company as possible so it can be passed on to its creditors. They'll be looking for a settlement of some kind. Hard to know where the money will come from though.
    Upwards to the vanguard where the pressure is too high.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    While a good idea for development of players, are the underage leagues sustainable for the clubs? These are added running expenses & no chance of bringing revenue in off it

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts
    I am sure they will come to a settlement, this what happens in business. Would they try selling club shorts for 45euro each for example.
    I see a lot of dislike for M Wallace from LoI supporters, I don't understand this as my own opinion is that he has been good for soccer in Wexford and in Ireland generally. Away from soccer his work in improving the operation of the Guards, and his attempt to change our awful culture of alcohol abuse by importing a more continental attitude to drink into our society is to be lauded. PD hard man Michael McDowell unfortunately backed down in the face of pressure from the vintners and Fianna Fáil, when he had the same aim. Imagine the number of people whose lives would be improved if there was even a small change in the Irish drink culture.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,196 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bunny Kelly View Post
    While a good idea for development of players, are the underage leagues sustainable for the clubs? These are added running expenses & no chance of bringing revenue in off it
    They're not sustainable at all. Talking maybe 20 per team to run an underage team. So could be 60k to run 19s/17s/15s. (Would vary by club of course)

But I think you're right that they're a good idea in terms of development of players - essential, almost. The FAI need to support clubs in rolling out these teams - it's in the FAI's benefit that we have a strong league. Instead, they're giving clubs a grant of a few hundred quid and telling them to cover the rest. That'll just push more teams under, unfortunately.
    Last edited by pineapple stu; 15/01/2017 at 11:58 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    454 Posts
    As a Wexford Youth's supporter, the good wishes of fans from other clubs are very much appreciated. Many clubs in the LOI are skating on very thin ice, and we're undoubtedly one of them.

As regards sustainability, the Wexford Youth's model is not sustainable in its current form and probably never will be. We will shortly be adding a ninth new squad (five on the men's side and four on the women's side) by virtue of the new U15 league. No club could generate enough income to fund this programme particularly the Youths which has a relatively poor footfall through its gates.

However, with the ownership of the ground secured, I'd be confident that we'll be able to get to the starting gate for the new season.

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,522 Posts
    RTE piece on this. http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2017/...exford-youths/

Wexford have been a good addition to the league and have been better run than most. Hope they pull through. Can't help thinking that out of town grounds are always going to be a big hindrance to clubs though.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts
    I remember Pat Devlin putting a figure of 50k on running the u-21 team at Bray some time back, so if anything you are under estimating the cost Stu. I agree fully that LoI clubs will not be able to fund underage national teams over the long term. On a cost/benefit basis it is not worth for clubs much better to sign players developed by others. Brentford over in England got rid of their academy for this reason. The best system for LoI clubs would be a reserve/majority u-21 players league spilt into 3 regions.
    Back to Wexford, good forward thinking by all involved, and most importantly FAI to safeguard the ground.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast