Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415

Thread: 2017 NI Assembly Election

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    You surely mean "Gaelic Type"?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaelic_type
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    170 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BonnieShels View Post
    You surely mean "Gaelic Type"?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaelic_type
    Indeed. A careless error, my apologies.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gather round View Post
    Can't see the bilingual street signs across Carrick or Larne anytime soon. The locals will likely be not reluctant but belligerent, the signs would inevitably be vandalised and there would probably be wider disorder....sorry, I mean 'threats to the peace process'. Whatever Conradh na Gaelige say, 'contracting in' small areas would be more sensible
    I'd tend to agree. If certain communities wish to opt out, I'd be inclined to favour letting them do so. It's both respectful of their wishes and would diminish the likelihood of provoking animosity or disorder.

My mates back in the day were grumbling as far as I remember about marking of territory (ie tricolors around town) and simplistic 'marketing' (ie shops and cafes featuring 'Cead Mille Failte' in Ogham script
    The nationalist community undoubtedly gained in confidence from the late '60s onward, but your mates mustn't know their unionist history either.

Here's a sketch from 1849 when Queen Victoria and Prince Albert were welcomed to Belfast by unionists with the Irish greeting adorning a constructed "royal triumphal archway" on High Street:

The unionist News Letter also greeted the visitors with a "Céad míle fáilte!" in both headline (it was William Crawley who I heard mentioning that in a BBC NI documentary about the Ulster(-Scots) identity) and from an office window.

An interesting related passage from a book called Theorizing Identities and Social Action here as well:

And a photo from the Ulster Unionist Convention of 1892 with a harp and "ERIN GO BRAGH" emblazoned across the front of the building in Botanic Gardens in which the gathering was taking place:

4. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    170 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    I'd tend to agree. If certain communities wish to opt out, I'd be inclined to favour letting them do so. It's both respectful of their wishes and would diminish the likelihood of provoking animosity or disorder
    Just to clarify, I meant above that localised areas should decide whether they want this. I wasn't pre-determining how few or many of them would. We can guess, of course. I'm guessing there won't be a Bothar Sean Chill, for example...

The nationalist community undoubtedly gained in confidence from the late '60s onward, but your mates mustn't know their unionist history either
    They probably weren't as interested in it as you or I. Not all Prods are obsessed with events centuries ago

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    An excellent piece by Colm Dore on the present impasse in the north and the clarifying reality that Brexit has elicited in terms of the imperious nature of unionism: http://eamonnmallie.com/2017/12/deal...ity-colm-dore/

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415