Page 7 of 47 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Declan Rice

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,095 Posts
    https://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/soc...tment-12243077

Some great quotes here too. Can't wait for his home debut. I think he'll get a brilliant reception and will appreciate it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts
    Seems like a really top young fella,really liked his efforts to get on the ball and make things happen in midfield.Guy is a gem

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    488 Posts
    His range of passing, the way he can bring the ball forward, and how he can obviously do a job in midfield remind me of somebody who's name I dare not mention after 1 cap. But I'm thinking it and I'd suspect I'm not the only one.

He looks a Rolls-Royce of a footballer.

4. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,095 Posts
    https://twitter.com/_DeclanRice/stat...080783361?s=20

Look at this for humility. A gem is right.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    482 Posts
    I really hope he is played in midfield, we have Duffy, Clark and Kevin long and others to cover centre half. A fit McCarthy and Rice sounds good to me

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,095 Posts
    The Irish Independent's sports page led with a big picture if Rice and the quote relating to his grandparents. It reminded me of something I considered a while back on this. On a night out in Dublin, St. Ledger getting a heroes welcome on a night out in Harcourt Street after we qualified for Euro 2012 and Jack Grealish in 2015 getting his name dragged through the mud by the British tabloids on the back of a (very) boozy in Manchester.

I hope these lads realise that Ireland fans and the media and greater public do generally love our national team players. The likes of Shane Duffy and Robbie Brady and Wes Hoolahan are worshipped after the Italy match at the Euros in 2016. I'm not saying that they get treated like royalty but much respect is afforded to a lot of these lads.

Jack Grealish could have been our hero and instead he's tabloid-fodder. Maybe this is me knowing nothing but being Irish and oblivious to the identity of the English football supporter and Englishman.

The Independent also carried the picture Rice posted on Twitter with his dad after the match. His dad's name is Sean and he named his son Declan. He looks brimming with pride in that picture and naming his son Declan infers why he would be. I don't expect to hear him ranting and raving on Talksport any time soon.

Apologies for so many references to Grealish but it's an incident that I feel we should encourage discussion on for a few reasons and it's always an interesting framing for conversations on English-born players, particularly those as highly-rated at club level as Rice.

8. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    604 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    The Irish Independent's sports page led with a big picture if Rice and the quote relating to his grandparents. It reminded me of something I considered a while back on this. On a night out in Dublin, St. Ledger getting a heroes welcome on a night out in Harcourt Street after we qualified for Euro 2012 and Jack Grealish in 2015 getting his name dragged through the mud by the British tabloids on the back of a (very) boozy in Manchester.

I hope these lads realise that Ireland fans and the media and greater public do generally love our national team players. The likes of Shane Duffy and Robbie Brady and Wes Hoolahan are worshipped after the Italy match at the Euros in 2016. I'm not saying that they get treated like royalty but much respect is afforded to a lot of these lads.

Jack Grealish could have been our hero and instead he's tabloid-fodder. Maybe this is me knowing nothing but being Irish and oblivious to the identity of the English football supporter and Englishman.

The Independent also carried the picture Rice posted on Twitter with his dad after the match. His dad's name is Sean and he named his son Declan. He looks brimming with pride in that picture and naming his son Declan infers why he would be. I don't expect to hear him ranting and raving on Talksport any time soon.

Apologies for so many references to Grealish but it's an incident that I feel we should encourage discussion on for a few reasons and it's always an interesting framing for conversations on English-born players, particularly those as highly-rated at club level as Rice.
    That's a really good point and it seems to have been instrumental in bringing our latest recruit, Callum Robinson, on board: https://www.independent.ie/sport/soc...-36687508.html

English born Robinson qualifies for Ireland through his grandmother who hailed from Monaghan and he admits having Irish lads around him and seeing the emotion in Ireland fans has influenced his come-and-get-me plea.

"I played with the likes of Derrick Williams and Enda Stevens, who've just got called up to the Ireland squad, Ciaran Clark, Graham Burke and Mikey Drennan at Villa," added Robinson.

"I was gutted when Ireland didn't get through to the World Cup but I remember seeing supporters in tears and I was just like 'That's what it's about'. I haven't played for Ireland so don't know the feeling but when I saw that and I heard the fans, it was amazing.
    "You can see what it means to the players, especially James McClean, and the fans help with that. Even when they're defending you can see it in the likes of Cizza (Ciaran Clark).

"I am often there Snapchatting Greg saying 'Oh my God, what an atmosphere'."

10. Thanks From:

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    779 Posts
    Cost West Ham a point yesterday (perhaps). Ducked under a ball which he should have headed clear and it went in to the net. No sure what he was thinking. Score was 1-1 at the time. They went on to lose 4-1. Moyes none too pleased https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2018...wont-progress/
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Joe Harts fault. Declan left it for him and he make a balls up of it.

Typical Hart blunder, he can add it to his vast collection, useless English keeper.

13. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    They guy is a joke

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Here is what his own "fans" think of him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts

West Ham 1-1 Stoke "What the f**k was Joe Hart doing?!" Instant Match Reaction

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Rice was 100% to blame for the goal. Hart may have a catalogue of errors on his CV but this wasn't one of them. There was an Arsenal forward between Rice and Hart meaning it was terrible judgment to leave it. Experience would also have told Rice that keepers hate inswingers that have to clear heads before they can commit. It's possible the forward shouted "keeper" (totally dishonest, but something I've done in 5 a side!) to deceive him which is the only excuse I can think of for Rice. It was a routine harmless situation for Rice, a nightmare for a keeper. Sorry tricky, I think you're looking through green tinted glasses on this one.

18. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    559 Posts
    I am not sure Hart is a keeper in the sense of keeping hold of him .

20. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Yeah, like that joke:

The moment I first met my wife I knew she was a keeper. She was wearing padded gloves.

22. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,310 Posts
    won young hammer of the year at the west ham awards earlier tonight
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

24. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    Rice was 100% to blame for the goal. Hart may have a catalogue of errors on his CV but this wasn't one of them. There was an Arsenal forward between Rice and Hart meaning it was terrible judgment to leave it. Experience would also have told Rice that keepers hate inswingers that have to clear heads before they can commit. It's possible the forward shouted "keeper" (totally dishonest, but something I've done in 5 a side!) to deceive him which is the only excuse I can think of for Rice. It was a routine harmless situation for Rice, a nightmare for a keeper. Sorry tricky, I think you're looking through green tinted glasses on this one.
    I think maybe I was, I'm not sure what he was thinking you have to clear the ball there really unless you are very sure it is safe not to. Maybe he though it would be the other side of the post, trying to be a bit clever, hopefully he will learn from it, if not he will end up with a blunders video as long as Hart's!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    OG for Rice.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    OG for Rice.
    Officially credited (debited?) to Zabaletta.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    In fairness the slight touch from Adrian was what caught him flat footed. Adrian's touch deflected the ball into his standing foot. No real blame. The intercepted back pass minutes later was a definite error though.

Page 7 of 47 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast