Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 36 of 47 FirstFirst ... 26343536373846 ... LastLast

Thread: Declan Rice

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IsMiseSean View Post
    Feck all this 'I wish him well' nonsense.
    couldnt agree more.
    why would we wish any english player well??

2. Thanks From:

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    842 Posts
    Genuinely think this is a disaster for us. He is top class and will probably be at United or City next season. Having said that, at the age of 19 we all thought James McCarthy was the 2nd coming of Gerrard.

I cant wish him well, I hope he goes on to regret his decision.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    85 Posts
    Hello All

Just want to give my 2 cents on this. Probably what everybody else is saying but this is how I feel about it

(Am very sad that a Declan (like meself) will be playing for Engerland) Boo! Also apologies for my comment above. Blood hit the brain a bit too fast and I was rushing off from work

So………..5 points

Point 1. It’s clear that since the new agent came in that Declans head has been turned and he would have mentioned to him that it would be more lucrative to play for England. HOWEVER Declan is good enough to play for a top team. If he was ever to transfer to Man City the wages he would make would be astronomical. Would it then matter who he would be playing international for? He’d make plenty of money, especially in advertising. Think of the possibilities? Ivomec F? Dosing cattle, sure Joe Cooney made a fortune doing it! Niall Quinn and that Lucozade sport advert? What about Jack and the TSB advert? Dennis Hickey and Wavin pipe? Jason Mcateer and Wash and Go? And let’s not forget Nicky English for Classic Cepravin (smashes mastitis) No shortage of possibilities there for Dec.

Point 2. This is REALLY not good for the future. What I mean is that, how many English born players are currently in our underage systems? Can they be trusted? Should we invest in them? Will they ‘pull a Rice/Grealish’ (copyright DeckyDee) and hop off when it suits them? This does not bode well for the future. It will cause a Lot of issues.

Point 3. Continuing on from what Mr. Kilbane said. I really cannot understand his thinking on this. If you want to play for England, fine, but don’t take 3 caps at Senior level. Underage, maybe, but not at senior level. He has turned our country into a joke, a doormat if you will. You kiss the Irish badge, you sing Amhrán na bhFiann and now he will turn around and sing God Save the Queen? Well, if it worked for Matt Holland…….All jokes aside, this move has truly sickened me. It will be truly upsetting when he will line out for England. What could make matters even worse (this was mentioned in the journal) is that Engerland could play in the EUROS at Landsdowne, imagine that!

Point 4. This brings up the question of being Irish and our identity. I’m a lifelong QPR fan and I’m over at Loftus Road now and again. Plenty of those their ‘claiming to be Irish’ but they only seem to be Irish when it suits them. I know of a couple of lads who support Ireland in the rugby and England in the soccer. I don’t think you should do that, in for a penny and all that.

Point 5. We really should be looking into developing our own players (yes, it has been said a thousand times) but we should. There is no structure and John Delaney needs to GO! Where are the grass roots? Do ye remember back in 1997 when it was said ‘Push rugby to the countryside’? Has it paid dividends? Oh yes!

Rant over
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist thinks it will change; the realist adjusts the sails.

5. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts
    All of Rice’s decisions from accepting that first cap for us have been the wrong ones.I genuinely think he’s made the wrong one again.English players are treated with ambivalence by their own ‘supporters’ and at worst with outright contempt occasionally even sick abuse.Inexplicably, this is usually reserved for their top players.Rice could have been immortalized as a national hero for a country that would have worshipped him,but has decided to choose mediocrity and regular underachievement.Anyway, him and the junior PR clown that drafted that vacuous,transparent ‘statement’ are away off now to claim his blue passport or his jellied eels or whatever they’re offering so I hope he has a right royal cockney barrel of laughs with Gareth.
    So long as we learn from it, this shameful saga may actually prove helpful to us in the long-run in terms of our policies re promising young dual-nationality players.We’ve two games against Gibraltar and I don’t see why we shouldn’t think about trying to get five or six under 23’s capped over those two games.Similarly,if we’re being bashed 4-0 as we’ve gotten accustomed to in recent times,great chance to give a young fella minutes on the pitch and save potentially an eight month circus in the future.If they don’t accept a call up,then no harm done.

7. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    85 Posts
    ' this shameful saga may actually prove helpful to us in the long-run in terms of our policies re promising young dual-nationality players' - Could not agree more!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist thinks it will change; the realist adjusts the sails.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    85 Posts
    Some good stuff here from Off the Ball > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3UAtNJLXV8

Harsh words from Kilbane! > https://twitter.com/VMSportIE/status...65533889318912

Harsh words from Breen! > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ab7oES-DgXM
    Last edited by Deckydee; 13/02/2019 at 8:26 PM.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    479 Posts
    The people of ireland really deserve better then this. Our fans are unbelievable, we travel to games via several airports paying out funds that most of us cant afford. We love our players even when we know they are often average, because we are honest and loyal. Declan Rice is none of those things. I know he is a very good player, but success without integrity is rarely worth it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,612 Posts
    I am honestly sickened by this decision. I posted on here that I thought he would stay with us. My thinking was that it would simply be easier for him to do the morally and ethically right thing in the situation he was in than to turn coat for a potential pay day. As someone said, hes good enough to make a fortune - in the Irish or English colours. Fizzer's post above - in particular the first couple of sentences - really hits the nail on the head for me. He has turned a nation against him, a nation that so badly wanted to worship him. We invested in him, the fans invested their hearts in him, we committed to him and he basically told us to "fck off". I am sickened. I really am.

12. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    575 Posts
    I love that Breen brought up the Rugby team as well. International sport is an absolute joke these days with Kenyans running for Turkey, South Africans and Kiwis playing Rugby for Ireland, Japan and...well anyone really.
    Folding my way into the big money!!!

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Anonymity will surely follow, he coulda' been a contender.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    357 Posts
    Tets, please move this thread to where it belongs - the rubbish section and lets concentrate on getting an interested player onboard - Ryan Nolan.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    479 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gastric View Post
    Tets, please move this thread to where it belongs - the rubbish section and lets concentrate on getting an interested player onboard - Ryan Nolan.
    Agreed, give it 24 hours to let people vent and then flush it down the jacks where it belongs

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    quoting this to clarify the policy. The thread will be moved when the discussion has run its course.
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    Rice confirms switch to England

I'll leave the thread in the Ireland forum for now, and move it to Other Football when the discussion has taken its course

Please keep your replies respectful
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    893 Posts
    He can respectfully go f*** himself. With respect. He's hiding behind a press release someone wrote for him today: he could have done the same thing months ago and shown a bit of courage and respect to his Irish team mates and the fans.

I'm English-born: proudly Manc but Irish through and through, so I get the torn thing. This stinks. I wish him no harm or misfortune but he'll have no luck for this. Good though he potentially is, we don't need him. More thoughts on this tomorrow. Maybe. If I still think he's worth it.
    Hello, hello? What's going on? What's all this shouting, we'll have no trouble here!
    - E Tattsyrup.

19. Thanks From:

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    200 Posts
    I heard Nike were pushing this, and it wouldn't surprise me if he got a bumper sponsorship deal from them off the back of this.

We need to start actively cap-tieing these players at a younger age. Throw them on for the last 30 seconds of "technically" competitive games (e.g. Gibraltar at home), then they're stuck with us. If they don't want to play those games then ditch them before we embark on developing them for another nations benefit.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    166 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    Genuinely think this is a disaster for us. He is top class and will probably be at United or City next season. Having said that, at the age of 19 we all thought James McCarthy was the 2nd coming of Gerrard.

I cant wish him well, I hope he goes on to regret his decision.

I cannot agree with that. I hope the lad does really well in his career. Don't think he'll be at United or City as they will buy big names from abroad and Rice doesn't have the technical grounding in the game to compete with someone like David Silva or Kevin De Bruyne. That aside, put yourself in his shoes - say with a job offer. A company which is in debt and has a shaky future in the short to mid term (Ireland) is looking to hire you. On the other hand, Amazon (England) contacts you and tells you if you join them you could possibly become a top executive at the company one day. You have allegiences to both. Pretty easy decision at the end of the day.
    My only regret is that the whole thing was drawn out over 12 months or so. That should never have happened.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    To be fair, only Roy Hodgson and Alan Smith would call him that.
    Nah it's a London thing. Room is pronounced womb.

I hate to be right again and say I told you so.

"He's sticking with us" that has to br some sort of foot.ie mantra or manifest

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Cascarinos piece in the times I assume it is was absolutely disgraceful.

I'm not too bothered about it to be honest because like with freakish I knew it would happen so it's not a shock. It would however been a great day for me had he switched to Ireland. I'll smile now when England get dumped out and he is getting abused by the British fans. And torn apart by media and former players alike. How anyone can be proud to be English especially in football I cannot fathom. That was only confounded when an English work colleague told me about his recent weekend away watching Dortmund.

Get the Nolan's and Johansson's in early. Cap them against Gibraltar. And the likes.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    602 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IsMiseSean View Post
    Feck all this 'I wish him well' nonsense.
    I for one wish him... well...

Ok, cheer up lads, I've said this before but I thought I'd repeat it - we may have lost Rice, but in the last twelve months we've gained Robinson, Crowley and Lukas Johansson and we've held on to Obafemi, so on to the Euros

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    842 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by samhaydenjr View Post
    I for one wish him... well...

Ok, cheer up lads, I've said this before but I thought I'd repeat it - we may have lost Rice, but in the last twelve months we've gained Robinson, Crowley and Lukas Johansson and we've held on to Obafemi, so on to the Euros
    I was actually just trying to think a similar type midfielder in the underage set up and Johansson might be the most interesting in that

Page 36 of 47 FirstFirst ... 26343536373846 ... LastLast