Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 23 of 47 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast

Thread: Declan Rice

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    893 Posts
    For a minute there, BTTW, I thought you were going to suggest a border deal on Brexit - a stopper at the back in exchange for the backstop!
    Hello, hello? What's going on? What's all this shouting, we'll have no trouble here!
    - E Tattsyrup.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    85 Posts
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist thinks it will change; the realist adjusts the sails.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Deckydee View Post
    A lot of specific details (whether true or not) in that story when compared to previous ones. Which worries me.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    Best of luck to the lad . A lot more money to be made and much greater chances of success . The English FA are also very unlikely to hire Martin O’ Neill or Roy Keane .

England are trying to play football under Southgate which is probably an attraction to a player with footballing ability .

Lets be honest here , if any of us were him ( with where he was brought up , etc ) wouldn’t we be vert tempted / definitely accepting this option .

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    479 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seanfhear View Post
    Best of luck to the lad . A lot more money to be made and much greater chances of success . The English FA are also very unlikely to hire Martin O’ Neill or Roy Keane .

England are trying to play football under Southgate which is probably an attraction to a player with footballing ability .

Lets be honest here , if any of us were him ( with where he was brought up , etc ) wouldn’t we be vert tempted / definitely accepting this option .
    No to be honest, if i lined out three times for a country and played through their youth system i wouldnt be able to let all those people who helped me down

6. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggs246 View Post
    No to be honest, if i lined out three times for a country and played through their youth system i wouldnt be able to let all those people who helped me down
    Fair dues to ya but everyone is different . To some football is a business ( it is ) . He can make considerably more money as an England international and much more chance of big success .

It would be nice it we had kept a committed Rice and Grealish because if we had we would immediately have so much more ‘ Potential ‘ . It might be even easier to keep /attract some other good talent .

C’est la Vie . In the past we have greatly benefited from getting players in somewhat similar situation ....So we can’t really complain !

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    174 Posts
    Leaving both money and patriotism aside, and considering football as the beautiful game...

...would you rather play for Southgate or MONKeano?

9. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Saw a bit of the West Ham game at the weekend, Rice alongside Noble in midfield, and it reminded me of when Noble was being touted as a possible call up for the Ireland team. Of course, that never happened, but he never played for England's senior team either. It looks like Rice will go on to earn some caps for them, but I can't see it being anywhere near the same number as what he would have earned with Ireland.

Grealish is unlikely to play for England while he's still in the Championhip, so he's not going to make his senior debut until next summer, at the earliest, whereas if he'd stayed with Ireland he'd be well into double figures by now and would have appeared at the European Championships.
    Last edited by tetsujin1979; 31/10/2018 at 2:13 PM.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

11. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    85 Posts
    Well we got Mike Haley and Will Addision from them in the rugby so.............????
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist thinks it will change; the realist adjusts the sails.

13. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    479 Posts
    I think we should ababdon the appeasement strategy and put in place a zero tolerence policy.

If a player refuses a call up to think, then we should close the door. He did it with Liam Kelly and that was the right way to do it going forward

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    285 Posts
    I think we should ababdon the appeasement strategy and put in place a zero tolerence policy.

If a player refuses a call up to think, then we should close the door. He did it with Liam Kelly and that was the right way to do it going forward
    I would be fairly certain that if the Irish setup wasn't such a clusterphuck under MON/Keane that none of these lads would be jumping ship. The management duo are doing nothing for us.
    "We lost because we didn't win"- Ronaldo

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Personally I think this particular switch, assuming it happens, has nothing to do with O'Neill or Keane. He was loving the Irish experience until England approached.

17. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    479 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    Personally I think this particular switch, assuming it happens, has nothing to do with O'Neill or Keane. He was loving the Irish experience until England approached.
    Yep, There is only one person to "Blame" and thats Mr. Declan Rice.

19. Thanks From:

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts

We can't afford to exclude potential players like that.

21. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    479 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by osarusan View Post
    We can't afford to exclude potential players like that.
    I actually think we cant afford not to do it. If a player knows that their international career could be over in a split second they would have to think long and hard.
    If Conor Coventry or anyone else does this. Do we appease again for 4 months? ….No, we make a firm all be it hard decision and say our goodbyes
    It will put all our duel nationality players on notice. refuse a call up and your gone

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    I don't think that would make players more likely to declare for us than the current 'wait for them to make a decision' model, so I wouldn't be in favour of it.

I think we have to accept that among our dual nationality players, there will be some who are likely to choose England if England come calling. We just have to hope England never come calling before they are cap-tied.
    Last edited by osarusan; 31/10/2018 at 1:13 PM.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    I prefer potatoes anyway . A nice bit of butter . No need for a fancy sauce .

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TrapAPony View Post
    I would be fairly certain that if the Irish setup wasn't such a clusterphuck under MON/Keane that none of these lads would be jumping ship. The management duo are doing nothing for us.
    one lad.... allegedly

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    575 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brine3 View Post
    Leaving both money and patriotism aside, and considering football as the beautiful game...

I’m sure that’s not dictated his thinking, as management changes are never that far from the horizon, especially for a young player. He would likely have gone through three or four managers playing for us.

He obviously watched World Cup. Liked what he saw. Feels English.
    Was asked to play for them and has decided to do that.
    Good luck to him.
    It’s disapppinting but he hasn’t don’t much wrong, regarding the rules.

It shows us that the rules need to change.
    Last edited by Fixer82; 31/10/2018 at 1:39 PM.

27. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brine3 View Post

the wheels could just as easily come off the england bandwagon. southgate is an average manager at best. being honest, how impressive were they really during their wc run? they lost three times after all and struggled badly against Tunisia in their first group game.
    even against spain a few weeks back they had an incredible 20 mins in the first half but were pummelled after that with only 30% possession for the full match.
    there is nothing "beautiful" about southgates england
    Last edited by jbyrne; 31/10/2018 at 2:06 PM.

29. Thanks From:

Page 23 of 47 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast