Page 20 of 47 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

Thread: Declan Rice

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    479 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by marinobohs View Post
    There is zero chance of FIFA changing this, unless to make it more easy to switch. freedom of movement of workers, maximizing career opportunities etc would prevent them even trying. Sure, how many Brazilians play for other countries already ? the only way is to do what we always did - maximize the attraction of playing for Ireland and focus on getting those that we can. traditionally the likes of Aldridge, Townsend, McDonagh etc would have had little link with Ireland until they were 'discovered'. Given the chance to play for England none of them would have worn green (and it would have been a quick choice).

we 'poach' Norn Iron players, have poached England players for decades and now England poach Grealish and (probably) Rice - both born in England, and we call 'foul'. if players choose not to play for us, move on.

To do this we need to restore the team spirit that was such a factor is previously successful teams, even if that means a change in management.
    Its the senior caps that are making people vomit. Imo

2. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    There is zero chance of FIFA changing this, unless to make it more easy to switch. freedom of movement of workers, maximizing career opportunities etc would prevent them even trying. Sure, how many Brazilians play for other countries already ? the only way is to do what we always did - maximize the attraction of playing for Ireland and focus on getting those that we can. traditionally the likes of Aldridge, Townsend, McDonagh etc would have had little link with Ireland until they were 'discovered'. Given the chance to play for England none of them would have worn green (and it would have been a quick choice).

we 'poach' Norn Iron players, have poached England players for decades and now England poach Grealish and (probably) Rice - both born in England, and we call 'foul'. if players choose not to play for us, move on.

To do this we need to restore the team spirit that was such a factor is previously successful teams, even if that means a change in management.
    Freedom of movement and restriction of career opportunities aren't considerations. There's ample case law, at the EU level anyway, that shows that rules that might be seen as restrictive practice in normal industries but which are necessary for the efficient workings and integrity of sport can be kept in place. It's all about how legitimate the restriction is, and how proportional it is.

I see the argument that Rice is cheapening the honour and also the idea of cup tying players but let's face it we're happy to poach from other associations. We win some, we lose some.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CraftyToePoke View Post
    Yeah, its this pretence we are some kind of equal opportunity option he needs time to chose between, we aren't, we really are not in this race, lets face it, if, if it's purely the case that the FA have turned his head with little bit of attention to him for the first time ever, after years with us and three senior caps. Unless MON has some very credible assurances this is purely contract related, and is going to end in our favour, we should admit our situation, and bow out, close the door Thursday unless he can name him, there would be more dignity in it for us. Its galling, its torturous, make it stop.

And does anyone here think the MON we have come to know recently, & his tenure generally, would have that kind of a handle on this ? Doubtful, isn't it.
    “O'Neill, who was left waiting by Jack Grealish for a year before the Aston Villa man switched to England, insists the start of the next Euro qualifiers in March is the cut-off for Rice to solve his dilemma.”

https://www.independent.ie/sport/soc...-37370706.html

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    I don't think anybody is calling 'foul', we are all well aware of the rules and how we have benefited from same. That's not to say we can't discuss best practice to protect ourselves from such scenarios in the future.

Obviously this episode is particularly tough to take given the potential of the player involved and enthusiasm with which he represented us up as far as and including senior level. But if he deflects, clearly it's all above board and we'll just have to take our medicine.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    “O'Neill, who was left waiting by Jack Grealish for a year before the Aston Villa man switched to England, insists the start of the next Euro qualifiers in March is the cut-off for Rice to solve his dilemma.”
    Forgive me if I don't just take Fallon's word for this without so much as a quote from MON.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    479 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    Forgive me if I don't just take Fallon's word for this without so much as a quote from MON.
    Btw Rice himself is a world class sociopath. All those quotes of loyalty and honour were disingenuous to say the least. He asked the media after an u21 fixture not to ask questions about his allegiance and then he went on to play for the senior team against US. Why ask the press that? Unless you know you have a plan to leave. Am I wrong?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Yes, yes you are.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    I don't think anybody is calling 'foul', we are all well aware of the rules and how we have benefited from same. That's not to say we can't discuss best practice to protect ourselves from such scenarios in the future.

Obviously this episode is particularly tough to take given the potential of the player involved and enthusiasm with which he represented us up as far as and including senior level. But if he deflects, clearly it's all above board and we'll just have to take our medicine.
    Which is pretty much the point I was addressing. The team spirit and togetherness of previous teams has often been referenced as an attraction by former players (including many who 'defected' to us) and I believe this is what we should focus on to recruit players with more than one option. Looking to change rules or expecting FIFA to change rules is unlikely to happen.

I would not be sure the current management set up is best placed to generate such an scenario.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    I'm sure in this case he is correct as its probably fairly common knowledge among journos at this stage, but fallon really shouldn't be writing any "breaking" stories anymore. He has lost all credibility, not sure he had any to start with actually.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    Which is pretty much the point I was addressing. The team spirit and togetherness of previous teams has often been referenced as an attraction by former players (including many who 'defected' to us) and I believe this is what we should focus on to recruit players with more than one option. Looking to change rules or expecting FIFA to change rules is unlikely to happen.

I would not be sure the current management set up is best placed to generate such an scenario.
    After the Welsh defeat a few ex-pros (Cunningham, Breen and Andrews) were saying on the OTB podcast that this "USP" is diminishing in importance, simply because they hear (or equally plausibly are just guessing) that the atmosphere in the squad isn't great and they don't rate the management set up.

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    I see the argument that Rice is cheapening the honour and also the idea of cup tying players but let's face it we're happy to poach from other associations. We win some, we lose some.
    Yeah, this is my take on it too.

We didn't seem to be too bothered by the cheapening of the honour when Alex Bruce chose us over Northern Ireland "purely because I think they are a better team", for example. Naturally, it's much more of an issue when we are losing a player in this way than gaining one.

13. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    285 Posts

https://www.independent.ie/sport/soc...-37370706.html
    MON is in fairyland if he thinks Rice is going to come back to Ireland in March. I am sickened that Ireland have somehow managed to lose yet another top prospect but one cannot blame Southgate as he is doing what he is paid to do for his country. From now on, Ireland should cap any young dual player showing potential in the 90th minute of a competitive match. We need to be cynical. I don't care what the small few say about the so called ''cheapening an Irish cap''..Secure them for the future just like the much smarter Welsh.
    Last edited by TrapAPony; 02/10/2018 at 2:52 PM.
    "We lost because we didn't win"- Ronaldo

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    479 Posts
    ]Yes, yes you are.[/QUOTE]

Like the last time, remember I said there was something wrong when Mon felt the need to have face to face meeting with Rice before the last squad announcement and you felt I way off the mark. Am i wrong?

16. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    No, No youre not.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

18. Thanks From:

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tets View Post
    Yes, yes you are.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggs246 View Post
    Like the last time, remember I said there was something]wrong when Mon felt the need to have face to face meeting with Rice before the last squad announcement and you felt I way off the mark. Am i wrong?
    I was thinking the very same when I read tets reply to you earlier, he cut you down then and for some reason, again today.

Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    Because there's no story?
    And again today, you are right, a guy belting out a national anthem, in an alien language, while requesting no such questions from journalists, add in a bit of badge kissing, is definitely not normal, I'm not qualified to say its sociopathic, but its something, a wrong upstairs thing.
    Last edited by CraftyToePoke; 02/10/2018 at 5:19 PM.

20. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    85 Posts
    The English are confident

Also, good article here, but can only read half of it
    Last edited by Deckydee; 02/10/2018 at 8:48 PM.
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist thinks it will change; the realist adjusts the sails.

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Looks like he is a gonna but it must be difficult for him, I'd bet his dad supports Ireland 100%

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    All the pantomime booing and hissing aside, he’s only 19. The only thing i’d resent him for is if he doesn’t **** or get off the pot. Soon.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts
    How soon?

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts
    More like West Ham want more time to bully him into a decision.

Page 20 of 47 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast