Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 18 of 47 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Thread: Declan Rice

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mark12345 View Post
    We know what it takes to become great. Just ask our rugby players. They didn't become feared across the world by sitting there and complaining and pointing fingers at one another.
    ah yes... the good old rugby team (or insert whatever irish team is doing well at the time as a stick to hit the football team with) comparison. how many countries actually take rugby seriously?
    and remind me again how many knock out matches our rugby team have won in a WC in 8 attempts??

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,306 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IsMiseSean View Post
    from that article
    O'Neill later confirmed that London-born Rice had spoken to Gareth Southgate and his England set-up about switching his international allegiances away from Ireland and a source has now told Independent.ie that the 19-year-old could be named in the England under-21 squad as early as next month before receiving a first senior England call-up in November.
    he can't play in the England U21s next month. He's played for Ireland U21s in the 2019 UEFA U21 Championship qualifiers, and cannot represent another side in the same tournament - same as when Grealish took a year out so he could play for England U19s after playing for the Ireland U19s
    Last edited by tetsujin1979; 25/09/2018 at 1:17 PM.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    481 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    from that article
    he can't play in the England U21s next month. He's played for Ireland U21s in the 2019 UEFA U21 Championship qualifiers, and cannot represent another side in the same tournament - same as when Grealish took a year out so he could play for England U19s after playing for the Ireland U19s
    That's correct, So I would be of the opinion that we can dismiss the indo article anyway

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts
    Jesus,this is torture.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    481 Posts
    Does anyone think he might stay with us?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    576 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggs246 View Post
    Does anyone think he might stay with us?
    Not really

7. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,094 Posts
    That's correct, So I would be of the opinion that we can dismiss the indo article anyway
    Ludicrously poor reporting.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Yes , he’s using this England talk as a bargaining chip to get a better deal at West Ham , once the contract is signed he will declare his wish to remain with Ireland , he’s Irish after all why wouldn’t he

Sometimes its better to stay optimistic or am just in denial

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,094 Posts
    That Kevin Palmer should have a chat with himself. I have to assume he's using the Daily Mail as his English reports: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...eek-offer.html

Incidentally, I must laugh at the most Daily Mail paragraph possible in that article:
    "Rice, who speaks with a London accent, qualifies for the Republic through his grandparents, but was born in the English capital to English parents."

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    481 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    That Kevin Palmer should have a chat with himself. I have to assume he's using the Daily Mail as his English reports: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...eek-offer.html

Incidentally, I must laugh at the most Daily Mail paragraph possible in that article:
    "Rice, who speaks with a London accent, qualifies for the Republic through his grandparents, but was born in the English capital to English parents."
    I know its a bit mental, but i emailed Palmer about the u21 regulations. He should know the rules before writing an article

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,094 Posts
    I know its a bit mental, but i emailed Palmer about the u21 regulations. He should know the rules before writing an article
    Proper order. He could at least run the article by someone like Dan McDonnell, who knows what they're talking about, before publishing it. Or maybe he did and Dan hadn't a clue either.

The regulations are pretty obvious. You would have to imagine that there would be no way he could play for both England and Ireland under 21 within a few months.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    576 Posts

I actually thought his Da was born in Ireland

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,094 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixer82 View Post
    I actually thought his Da was born in Ireland
    Nope. Both his parents were born in Cork though and I'm assuming he heavily identifies Irish, as a result, given that he named his son Declan, that he had Declan in with us once he could and judging by the smile on his face after the debut.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    576 Posts
    Nope. Both his parents were born in Cork though and I'm assuming he heavily identifies Irish, as a result, given that he named his son Declan, that he had Declan in with us once he could and judging by the smile on his face after the debut.
    I can't help thinking that if England had had a poor World Cup that this wouldn't be an issue
    Folding my way into the big money!!!

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    481 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixer82 View Post
    I can't help thinking that if England had had a poor World Cup that this wouldn't be an issue
    Don't drive yourself crazy thinking about it. The bottom line is, we bent over backwards for this kid, including bringing him in to train with our senior national team before he had even played in the league. If he defects he has let down dozens of people within our senior management and also within our under age set up, all of whom took a chance on him and gave him his break.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    167 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbyrne View Post
    ah yes... the good old rugby team (or insert whatever irish team is doing well at the time as a stick to hit the football team with) comparison. how many countries actually take rugby seriously?
    and remind me again how many knock out matches our rugby team have won in a WC in 8 attempts??
    A stick to hit the football team with? I am in no way hitting the football team. I am hitting out at those who are tasked with running the game in Ireland, who continually let us down.
    The original point was about Declan Rice and why he isn't (or at least appears not to be) coming on board with us. If he has watched any of our games
    of late, he knows that we are still way, way off the pace when it comes to the international game. He likely reckoned if he threw his lot in with us he
    would go nowhere, whereas it might be a different story with England. I don't like the way he appeared to use people along the way, but that's the way its turned out.

As far as the Irish rugby team goes, they are arguably the second best in the world right now. You can talk all you want about knock out games, but to win the Grand Slam
    in the Six Nations is something which takes a right bit of doing. And we have proved we can beat the best from the Southern Hemisphere also. I am not a rugby fan, but if I am honest
    I really admire what the Irish team has done with odds stacked against them on several occasions. I could say the same about Ireland's boxers, amateur and professional. Sort of wish the FAI and LOI could show as much
    committment to football in Ireland. I hear its changing with the youth which is good news. But it's long long overdue.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    A stick to hit the football team with? I am in no way hitting the football team.
    really?

Or maybe it was after those imposters in green shirts took the field in Georgia the following September?

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Fully agree that not a whole lot more could have been done in bringing Declan Rice on board, He has played 3 times for our Senior Team and to defect now would be really,really poor behaviour on his part. I think this whole saga is intertwined with his ongoing contract talks at West Ham . It looks like we will have to wait for a conclusion to his contract talks before he clarifies his International intentions. I for one find this totally unacceptable.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    I think the rule needs to change around the amount of friendly games played in succession and/or a time limit of say 3 years.

If any player willing to play a friendly was told that he would then have to wait 3 years before he could switch, he wouldnt be so quick to use it as a stepping stone
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,690 Posts
    Yeah some change in the rules would make sense alright.

There was talk on YBIG about Rice demanding considerably more than he has been offered by West Ham and that David Gold has made accepting his terms contingent on him being an England international, raising his market value. Right now I'm not sure what international jersey he wears will influence his transfer value. He's one of the hottest young prospects in the EPL and anyone can see that. If I was a buyer I'd prefer an Irish player over an African (due to winter ACoN duty every 2 years) and also Irish over English because he's less likely to be knackered every second summer!

Page 18 of 47 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast