Page 15 of 47 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: Declan Rice

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    559 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tricky_colour View Post
    They took our spuds and now want our rice.
    T’was the Grain they Took . The Blight got the Spuds .

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dr_peepee View Post
    Wasn’t there something years ago with Andy O’Brien singing GSTQ whilst representing an English football league select against a Seria B select. Think he was still at Bradford at the time. Vague recollection of it.
    The match itself is mentioned here anyway, so that seems to add up - https://www.nufc.com/html/obrien_sundaytimes.html

Quote Originally Posted by Sunday Times, 12th August 2001
    His route to the Irish senior team has been an interesting one. He was born in Harrogate and was always a target for English teams at under-age. Three years ago, Peter Taylor was asked to select a Football League side to play a side from Italy's Serie B. O'Brien was man of the match. Taylor took over the England under-21s shortly after and tried to convince O'Brien to commit himself to the English cause.

In February 1999, he played in a friendly against France at Pride Park but when Taylor offered him the chance in England's next competitive outing, O'Brien demurred and took time out to ponder his international future. He was flattered by the English attention but he was aware of his Irish roots - his grandparents Danny and Kathleen O'Brien had moved from Kilfinnane in south-west Limerick to look for work in the mills of Yorkshire - and two months after his English debut, he played for Ireland in an under-21 friendly against Sweden in Birr.
    Last edited by DeLorean; 30/08/2018 at 9:18 AM.

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seanfhear View Post
    T’was the Grain they Took . The Blight got the Spuds .

I thought it was a good joke none the less, not one of mine, I might add it was on video link a page or two back with Kevin kilbane.

We has all the Salmon and Towel jokes, it seems Rice got let off the hook... so far anyway....

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Rice will be steaming if England don't call him up.

5. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    I read he can't be called up today by England as he'd need to be cleared by UEFA or FIFA if he decides to switch. Perhaps this is not correct.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,311 Posts
    If he does decide to change allegiances, it takes a few months for the paperwork to clear.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    91 Posts
    This thing about GSTQ is a bit strange to me. I know there's a lot of history there but is that really the litmus test for Irishness in 2018?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    559 Posts
    What is one to do with the Rice in my cupboard ? I just can’t face it .

10. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    41 Posts
    To be fair to Rice, I'm sure hundreds of young footballers are being advised that nothing is binding in playing underage international football and sadly nationality doesn't mean as much as it used to in the modern world. There have been thousands of applications for Irish passports following Brexit from people who have up to now considered themselves British. From Rice's point of view, he wasn't of England's radar until the last year so may not have had any opportunities in their underage set and has probably benefited from the experience of playing for ours

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    Gareth Southgate discusses the future of West Ham defender Declan Rice, who has played friendly matches for the Republic of Ireland: "There are so many dual nationality players and he is a good young player. He has a really difficult decision. There is a lot of pressure on him and I am conscious there is spotlight on him. He is with Ireland at the moment and as much as we think he is a very good player, that decision has to fall to him."

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    482 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbyrne View Post
    Gareth Southgate discusses the future of West Ham defender Declan Rice, who has played friendly matches for the Republic of Ireland: "There are so many dual nationality players and he is a good young player. He has a really difficult decision. There is a lot of pressure on him and I am conscious there is spotlight on him. He is with Ireland at the moment and as much as we think he is a very good player, that decision has to fall to him."
    If I was Rice's agent I would be extremely unhappy with that statement from Southgate, instead of doing what Roy Hodgson did with Grealish and say "its his decisions, but he is English after all"

Southgate has put all the pressure on Rice and imo is slightly infaring that he and the FA have clean hands here

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    857 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggs246 View Post
    Southgate has put all the pressure on Rice and imo is slightly infaring that he and the FA have clean hands here
    He has, yeah, as though where this situation now is, isn't really his doing or any of his work, when it clearly is.
    Last edited by CraftyToePoke; 30/08/2018 at 3:50 PM.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    To be fair to Rice, I'm sure hundreds of young footballers are being advised that nothing is binding in playing underage international football and sadly nationality doesn't mean as much as it used to in the modern world. There have been thousands of applications for Irish passports following Brexit from people who have up to now considered themselves British.
    They were already Irish citizens according to our laws, hence they were allowed to apply for an Irish passport. Just like how you and me can head down to the passport office and get a passport. As far as I know our citizenship laws have always automatically granted citizenship at birth to the foreign-born children of Irish-born citizens. So I'm not sure what changes in the modern world you are referring to. Emigration has been a feature of Irish life for centuries...
    Last edited by brine3; 30/08/2018 at 2:58 PM.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CraftyToePoke View Post
    He has, yeah, as though where this situation now it, isn't really his doing or any of his work, when it clearly is.
    Yeah very clever of Southgate here to say that the "Rice is under pressure". Because where has the pressure and negative press been coming from in the last couple of days? The likes of Duff and Kilbane mouthing off in the press.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    482 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brine3 View Post
    Yeah very clever of Southgate here to say that the "Rice is under pressure". Because where has the pressure and negative press been coming from in the last couple of days? The likes of Duff and Kilbane mouthing off in the press.
    "mouthing off in the press" Its called freedom of speech baby

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    455 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbyrne View Post
    Is rice in a tricky situation here? By not coming out and saying he wants to play for england straight out Is there danger the three loins fans might doubt his commitment to the Crown?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    559 Posts
    Depends how good he is . Even more so with them than us .

If ya were middling to good for us then we would be happy . He will have to be good to very good for them to get much credit .

If he is bad he may be Paddy Rice .

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,311 Posts
    FWIW he still follows a load of Irish players on twitter: https://twitter.com/_DeclanRice/following
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    455 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    FWIW he still follows a load of Irish players on twitter: https://twitter.com/_DeclanRice/following
    will he be in the 21s squad for our next games? Best chance We have had to qualify for As long as I can remember.one Last hurrah for old times sake?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,311 Posts
    For all the people saying we should follow the Wales model and cap our most promising dual nationality players, do you think it would it be worth it to do this, and sacrifice any success at underage level?
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Page 15 of 47 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast