Page 14 of 47 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: Declan Rice

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,306 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixer82 View Post
    I read that Times article.
    Supple doesn't say the camp is poisonous and the players aren't happy. I didn't get that at all from what he was saying.
    If anything, I felt he was having a go at the modern day footballer
    That's what I felt after reading it. A lot of the stuff he was complaining about - e.g. players leaving clothes to be washed outside their hotel room door - was the kind of thing Roy Keane complained that wasn't happening when he was a player.

If anything it highlighted the difference between a professional setup and his experiences in GAA

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    I don’t want somebody who is dithering so 100% with Kevin Kilbane on this.
    The players who have spoken out so far are Kilbane, Duff and Doyle. All of them have two Irish parents. Rice has one Irish parent and one English parent.

It's easy for Kilbane, Duff and Doyle to preach to Rice, but they have no idea how Rice must be feeling at the moment.

They should shut up.

3. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    166 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brine3 View Post
    The players who have spoken out so far are Kilbane, Duff and Doyle. All of them have two Irish parents. Rice has one Irish parent and one English parent.

It's easy for Kilbane, Duff and Doyle to preach to Rice, but they have no idea how Rice must be feeling at the moment.

They should shut up.
    I have to agree with this. The backlash against his taking time out to decide (even if that is just a cover story) would be enough to put anyone off.

5. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    481 Posts

They should shut up.
    He is feeling ok, he played 90 minutes last night and played well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Yeah he looked pretty good in the bits I say too. Granted it was kind of easy for him as Wimbledon had to retreat once they went a man down early on.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    576 Posts
    Which player was Duff talking about re singing English national anthem? Matt Holland?

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    After all these years posting on an internet forum I observe you have not evolved one iota in learning the essentials of ethical standards of debate, never mind the odd improvement in grammar.
    If I had written anything so inane as 'hes ours to lose' I would have used an apostrophe. But i know that little inanity is your 100% own invention. AFAIR, I didn't write much in that thread.

Such threads when they are that delicate stage (will he, won't he) are emotive, most every supporter has a deeply held opinion on these matters because perhaps it touches on something more deep than just football talent and ability.
    I do remember writing in the McCarthy thread, during that anxious pregnant pause and was confident in James' allegiance to Ireland, but my opinion on McCarthy was based on Tuff Paddy's excellent contributions way back, not on any long range mind reading.
    It's simple for me in regards to Rice, if the player declares for England then that's the right decision for him, if on the other hand he continues with Ireland, than that's the right decision for him. We have no right to make that decision for him just because it serves our interests. Generally supporters don't like delay, i.e. a player taking time out to be sure, but if precedent has any value, precedent dictates that should the player eventually declare for Ireland, the supporters can quite rapidly get over their angst.
    I never mentioned anything about James McCarthy. However I did mention JG. Heres a couple of quotes from your posts in that thread. You ignored it purposely of course, if there is one thing you do have a lot of, its time, and you'd have responded with the subject at hand rather than shifting the goalposts and including others, as you'd have found out through your endless excavation of previous posts.

" Grealish has made his decision and it's disrespectful not to trust a player's word and cap him competitively long before his time in order to bind him. "
    "That's resolved it, clarity has now been established and Grealish is settled on the track to our senior squad."
    I'd also note that your stance changed over time, you realised your short sightedness and got iffy. For anyone else, it was plain to see you got it badly wrong from the outset.

Unfortunately I have little time to spend on my posts. So missing an apostrophe here and there on a small screen is not a top priority of mine.
    I pity you even more geysir than before, that you denigrate a post on such small matters, living in solitude, constant day and night must be affecting your mind, that your life now revolves around debates and time spent formulating posts on an internet forum.
    My simplest suggestion, like I'd make to a 3 or 4 year old is get off the tablet/phone/486 and go outside, play, get dirty, have experiences. Enjoy life and live a little. Is it really that lonely up there?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    481 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixer82 View Post
    Which player was Duff talking about re singing English national anthem? Matt Holland?
    yep it was Matt Holland

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    199 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TrapAPony View Post
    Wales have done it with Brooks, Wilson, Ampadu etc. At least they are smart. We are losing too many half decent players these days that would have made a big difference to us ie. Declan Rice, Jack Grealish, Michael Keane etc. Even Scotland secured McTominay. We need to wake up a bit.
    Wales have named English born Man City youth player Matthew Smith (18) in their squad for their upcoming games - his only taste of senior football has been two games for Twente in the Dutch 2nd division. He's played for Wales through the age groups similar to Rice. He'll most likely be tied to Wales after the upcoming games.

Maybe we have to be more proactive in these situations anymore. The likes of O'Hara, Cullen & Conor Ronan should be cap-tied early before they make a breakthrough and England take notice.

Technically McTominay hasn't been secured by Scotland yet - but he'll most likely will be after their game with Albania next week

12. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts

They should shut up.
    duff and doyle were asked their views in the media. should they have gone "no comment" or lied about their views?
    I can fully understand kilbanes views.

why should they pussyfoot around the issue just in case the player concerned takes the hump? playing for your country is too important and the three ex-players you mention comments purely illustrate that.

what has often given us an edge in games we had no right to win is our players sheer bloody minded commitment to the cause. there is no room for a halfway house commitment in my view

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Yes John, i agree, theres a lot of sentiment attached to caps, rightly so, but some take it far too serious like joining up with the Old IRA. Just throw a cap and ye have him. I'm not sure ye'd still be throwing them around willy nilly, but Grealish and Rice could probably have been handled that way. Not so sure any of the others have done anything or been close to first team premiership to warrant it. I also think MON can't be blamed here, he learnt from his poor handling of grealish and was much more proactive.
    Last edited by paul_oshea; 29/08/2018 at 2:09 PM.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbyrne View Post
    there is no room for a halfway house commitment in my view
    Why do you think Rice is not committed?

Like I said, he has an Irish father and English mother. He probably feels 100% committed to both.

The kind of one-nation nationalism that international football asks of players is not compatible with the globalised society we live in.

16. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    285 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    Yes John, i agree, theres a lot of sentiment attached to caps, rightly so, but some take it far to serious like joining up with the Old IRA. Just throw a cap and ye have him.
    Exactly. Fans expecting non-Irish lads nowadays to be bleeding green are in a fantasy world. Sure we are going to have a big issue anyway in a few years when some homegrown players of African/Eastern European descent begin to mull over playing for us or their parents countries. As you say cap them and secure them.
    Last edited by TrapAPony; 29/08/2018 at 12:57 PM.
    "We lost because we didn't win"- Ronaldo

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    85 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggs246 View Post
    yep it was Matt Holland
    think it was in an FA Cup final if Im not mistaken
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist thinks it will change; the realist adjusts the sails.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbyrne View Post
    duff and doyle were asked their views in the media. should they have gone "no comment" or lied about their views?
    I can fully understand kilbanes views.

why should they pussyfoot around the issue just in case the player concerned takes the hump? playing for your country is too important and the three ex-players you mention comments purely illustrate that.

what has often given us an edge in games we had no right to win is our players sheer bloody minded commitment to the cause. there is no room for a halfway house commitment in my view
    have to agree. no one mentioned Breen yet - he has been very balanced. apparently meyler has been onto him personally. I can imagine he is getting the full spectrum of contact from some pros - english and irish. I'm sure he knew it would get some people's backs up. cold light of day I think everyone would just like him to make up his mind and we can all move on.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Deckydee View Post
    think it was in an FA Cup final if Im not mistaken
    Holland wouldn't have played in an F.A. Cup Final. This is the game in question as far as I'm aware - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2000_F...play-off_Final

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    166 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    Holland wouldn't have played in an F.A. Cup Final. This is the game in question as far as I'm aware - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2000_F...play-off_Final
    the old st george's cross next to his name and all.

edit: i've edited it.
    Last edited by zero; 29/08/2018 at 2:29 PM.

22. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    481 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    It was a "play off" game

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Wasn’t there something years ago with Andy O’Brien singing GSTQ whilst representing an English football league select against a Seria B select. Think he was still at Bradford at the time. Vague recollection of it.

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    They took our spuds and now want our rice.

Page 14 of 47 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast