Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: O'Driscoll and D'Arcy both named in side to play Scotland

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thumbs up O'Driscoll and D'Arcy both named in side to play Scotland

Has to be a good sign

Ireland coach Eddie O'Sullivan has named captain Brian O'Driscoll and his centre partner Gordon D'Arcy in the side to play Scotland in the Six Nations on Saturday.

Both were in doubt after they limped off in last weekend's 28-17 win over Italy with hamstring injuries, and after scans on Monday night, the diagnosis was not as severe as first thought.

Despite O'Sullivan's optimism, the next 24 hours will be crucial for both centres to respond to treatment, with the option of Kevin Maggs an obvious replacement at centre, and winger Shane Horgan, who performed so well at centre against South Africa, another option.

"Brian and Gordon came through their scans last night, and it looks as if things aren't as bad as we originally thought," said O'Sullivan.

"There is no doubting as to how important their fitness is to us. We'll just have to wait and see how they progress over the next few days, and then we'll be in a position to make a decision."

"The Italian match was just two days ago, so with a six-day turnaround for the Scotland trip you have to give the guys every chance to fully recover. I would be a foolish man to rule them out right now if they can make it."

The only change sees London Wasps flanker Johnny O'Connor winning his third cap, replacing Denis Leamy.

"I had always had Johnny in mind for Scotland. We need a `groundhog', and Johnny is exactly that. Denis had a solid game against Italy – but he didn't make the impact he would have liked to," said O'Sullivan.

Saturday will also see Leinster lock Malcolm O'Kelly earn his 70th cap to become Ireland's most capped player ahead of legendary centre Mike Gibson.

Ireland team: 15 Geordan Murphy (Leicester/ENG); 14 Shane Horgan (Leinster), 13 Brian O'Driscoll (Leinster, capt), 12 Gordon D'Arcy (Leinster), 11 Denis Hickie (Leinster); 10 Ronan O'Gara (Munster), 9 Peter Stringer (Munster); 1 Reggie Corrigan (Leinster), 2 Shane Byrne (Leinster), 3 John
    Hayes (Munster), 4 Malcolm O'Kelly, 5 Paul O'Connell (Munster), 6 Simon Easterby (Llanelli), 7 Johnny O'Connor (Wasps), 8 Anthony Foley (Munster).
    Replacements: Frank Sheahan (Munster), Marcus Horan (Munster), Donncha O'Callaghan (Munster), Eric Miller (Leinster), Guy Easterby (Leinster), David Humphreys (Ulster), Girvan Dempsey (Leinster).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    This is obviously a ploy by Eddie O'Sullivan to put the wind up Matt Williams. Both players suffered tears in their hamstrings it seems, and I'd safely say there is not a snowballs chance in hell that either will be either fit enough, or risked if they are slightly fit, against Scotland.

Horgan will move to the centre to be accompanied by Maggs, with Murphy moving to the wing to accommodate Dempsey at full back.

He could go for Bowe, or Payne on the wing and leave Girv out and Murphy in his best position, but I doubt he'll do that....unfortunately.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joeSoap

He could go for Bowe, or Payne on the wing and leave Girv out and Murphy in his best position, but I doubt he'll do that....unfortunately.
    Yep Eddie isnt one to take risks, even the D'Arcy risk was taken for him by Leinster first.

I'd like to see the a backline of

Stringer
    O'Gara
    Hickie Horgan Mags Payne (Kelly if he was fit but he aint)
    Murphy

What ever about offering little by way of attack from fullback Dempsey is not up to the wing IMO
    Oh no not them again

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    hopefully they will be fit, but it wouldn't be worth a risk. they'll be needed more against england wales and france than against scotland

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I can see us being beaten by Scotland if both centres are out. Maggs is not a try-scorer and he does not break the gain-line. Horgan hasn't played enough at centre internationally.
    I hope one of them can play at least.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SÓC
    Stringer
    O'Gara
    Hickie Horgan Mags Payne (Kelly if he was fit but he aint)
    Murphy

What ever about offering little by way of attack from fullback Dempsey is not up to the wing IMO
    Kelly well past it & would IMO be well down the pecking order.

Hopefully Murphy remains at fullback whatever happens & sings could be good as he kept him there even when Dempsey came on for injured DArcy last week.

Its hard to see O'Sullivan risking either centre for Scotland - i'd O'driscoll has better chance but D'Arcy little chance.

I think Ireland could survive championship missing 1 centre but ain't going win much with Horgan & Maggs in the centre.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    199 Posts
    I think we'll beat the Scots without them. Scotland are still a poor team, even though they went close against the French. France were really bad that day, and any decent team would have beaten them. Maggs wont score tries, but Murphy, Hickie and Horgan will and ROG will be back on form by Saturday

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    ya I think France really under estimated Scotland at the weekend and they played very badly...

Wouldn't be worth the risk if theres the slights chance of either player being seriously injured and out for the rest of the 6 Nations...
    Without the two centers I think the team will be trying harder to make up for them. I'd say we'll win but not by much at all... It'll be a very low scoring match

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by finlma
    Maggs is not a try-scorer and he does not break the gain-line.
    14 tries in 65 appearances might not be amazing, but our most prolific, O'Driscoll and Hickie have only scored 24 from 50 odd caps so its not so bad. To say he doesn't break the gain line is pure bull!! He is the best crash ball(short) runner we have, tackles superby and is strong as an ox.

I have absolutely no worries about him coming in...actually if Munster got him ahead of Ulster, they might have a better chance of the Heineken Cup..
    Last edited by joeSoap; 09/02/2005 at 9:55 AM.

International Prospect Green Tribe's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    just wanted to say i am going to the scotlland v ireland game on saturday!!!!! yee-hah

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joeSoap
    To say he doesn't break the gain line is pure bull!! He is the best crash ball(short) runner we have, tackles superby and is strong as an ox.
    He is a great crash ball player but he rarely makes breaks like O'Driscoll and D'arcy. He's not really a creative player. We're well short of cover in the centre positions.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by finlma
    He is a great crash ball player but he rarely makes breaks like O'Driscoll and D'arcy. He's not really a creative player. We're well short of cover in the centre positions.
    Yeah course he is, you've just heard "Maggs on the crash ball" too many times, he hasn't played well in yonks
    Bye bye Stan. Go off back to collecting cones you useless git.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    Can anyone name a better replacement??

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I'd bring in Tommy Bowe myself on the wing and move Horgan to centre. I really hope D'arcy isn't out cause we'll be in trouble.

We could always call back Fat Hendo from Munster

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    199 Posts
    O'Driscoll is out, D'Arcy will be out by tomorrow, so the backline I'd like to see play would be
    15 Murphy
    14 Bowe
    13 S.Horgan
    12 K.Maggs
    11 D. Hickie

but Dempsey will be named ahead of Bowe who hasn't even been drafted in as cover as of yet!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JGKyne
    O'Driscoll is out, D'Arcy will be out by tomorrow, so the backline I'd like to see play would be
    15 Murphy
    14 Bowe
    13 S.Horgan
    12 K.Maggs
    11 D. Hickie

but Dempsey will be named ahead of Bowe who hasn't even been drafted in as cover as of yet!
    I'd pick the exact same myself if D'arcy is out, which he probably will be.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I'd wonder how Humphries would do at centre?

He's a fantastic player, it's a pity we cant fit him in somewhere at times, although obviously not at 10 when O'Gara is fit
    Oh no not them again

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SÓC
    I'd wonder how Humphries would do at centre?
    IMO a spent force at international level. Was neck & neck between himself & O'Gara before but O'Gara has upped his game in the last year & only injury would get Humphreys a game.

I'd be surprised if Humphreys would be anywhere near top 6 choices in the centre.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Line-up v. Scotland

Irish team to play Scotland is:

15. G Murphy
    14. S Horgan
    13. K Maggs
    12. G Dempsey
    11. D Hickie
    10. R O'Gara
    9. P Stringer
    1. R Corrigan
    2. S Byrne
    3. J Hayes
    4. M O'Kelly
    5. P O'Connell (capt)
    6. S Easterby
    7. J O'Connor
    8. A Foley
    If you don't like John 3:7...
    There's always Limerick 37!

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Still hope for ireland in championship especially as France continue to keep Michalik on the bench