Thanked in
    602 Posts
    Are they related?

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    Few re-assuring things about this lad. To have the mettle to come back from a tough injury like that is great going at that age. Also, he's already experienced the England camp and sided with us which is brilliant. His Twitter is awash with references to the Ireland national teams too.

This insecurity doesn't stop rearing it's head!

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    Irish midfielder Ronan drops down to League One in search of more games http://the42.ie/3780107

Ronan has moved on loan to Portsmouth until the end of the season. Portsmouth lie in the play-offs spots in League one so they're going well.

4. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    reuniting with Jackett, who gave him his debut at Wolves
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    602 Posts
    Into the Portsmouth starting eleven for their draw with Scunthorpe and played 71 minutes - looks like a prudent move on his move - with Wolves chasing promotion they will likely stick mostly with tested first team players for the next few months http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/42587591

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    named on the bench for his loan club Slovakian side FC DAC 1904

He was interviewed for their website earlier this week: http://fcdac.sk/sk/spravy/2019/02/15...-mi-velmi-paci
    (translated from Google) https://translate.google.com/transla...-mi-velmi-paci
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    602 Posts
    Came on as a late sub against league leaders Slovan Bratislava: http://www.fortunaliga.sk/zapas/1313-dac-slo

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    He has started the last few games, and now has just opened the scoring for FC DAC 1904. Certainly on form at the moment. It has proved to be an excellent career decision thus far

10. Thanks From:

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts

12. Thanks From:

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Wolves have given him a two year deal

- https://www.wolves.co.uk/news/under-...connor-ronan/#

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    163 Posts
    Good to see. I guess he's another we have to consider a flight risk though, given he's played underage for England?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    479 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zero View Post
    Good to see. I guess he's another we have to consider a flight risk though, given he's played underage for England?
    Defo unfortunately. I always check duel players Twitter "handle" and he has wolves and adidas and no mention of FAI or rep of Ireland

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    Didn't he turn England down in favour of us having sampled both sides? He seemed to have made a clear decision. Rice just didn't have the option. Grealish was getting played age groups above.

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    This was a while ago but he did pick us having had both to chose from at that time

- https://www.sportsjoe.ie/football/cl...ry-late-113417

Quote Originally Posted by Conor Ronan View Post
    "Going away with England, that went well. But when I was away with England I knew I was going away with Ireland the week after, so it was just to see what it was like," Ronan said.

"I wanted to get an experience and to see which one I’d prefer to play for.

"It’s the atmosphere in the group. With Ireland, it felt like more of a team. Everyone is more together, and you feel more involved."
    I don't know if those games were competitive and that is his switch used though.

tets ?

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    I know his link is the same as Rice though i.e. his father's parents are Irish. This article is recent and references that. I think I saw another previously that said his father was a big Ireland fan: https://www.independent.ie/sport/soc...-37951122.html

Anyway, the new contract might not have been completely expected. And it also makes his upcoming season that bit more interesting. Ronan doesn't have a body of work at a decent level in England to point to so I'm not sure if Wolves are planning to loan him out again this season or if he is in the first team plans.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    163 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    I know his link is the same as Rice though i.e. his father's parents are Irish. This article is recent and references that. I think I saw another previously that said his father was a big Ireland fan: https://www.independent.ie/sport/soc...-37951122.html

Anyway, the new contract might not have been completely expected. And it also makes his upcoming season that bit more interesting. Ronan doesn't have a body of work at a decent level in England to point to so I'm not sure if Wolves are planning to loan him out again this season or if he is in the first team plans.
    They've qualified for the europa league - their season now starts on the 25th of July. Perhaps he'll feature in some of those games and then could go out on loan later.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    Or impress and not go on loan. I think he may be suited to their style of play. Wolves like to play between the lines and break through the lines. He has that direct running that Jonny, Doherty and Traore have but obviously uses it differently.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CraftyToePoke View Post
    I don't know if those games were competitive and that is his switch used though.
    According to Wikipedia, Ronan made his two England U17 appearances in 2015.

There's a list of their games here. I don't think he features in any of the competitive games so it must be a couple of the friendlies for which they don't have the team sheets available.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    203 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    Or impress and not go on loan. I think he may be suited to their style of play. Wolves like to play between the lines and break through the lines. He has that direct running that Jonny, Doherty and Traore have but obviously uses it differently.
    Bit of an enigma. He's looked impressive for Wolves on his few first team outings especially the cup game against City. They are generally willing to give young players a chance, but he's been sent out on loan, and sometimes struggled to impress when playing in lower leagues. Not really sure what the level is like in Slovakia, but it's encouraging he has been offered a deal. Just seems like he's too old to be going out on loan again, if he's going to make a break through it has to be this season. In a way, I'd like to see him get a chance with our senior squad even if he's not getting regular football at Wolves. He's the kind of player who looks like he could thrive at the highest level, if given the opportunity and the chance to develop confidence and profile. I know Mick is only there for the short term, but he's surely got to use his tenure to develop and integrate talent for his successor as well as get results. The Connell call up was encouraging, but I'd like to see more younger players given the chance to progress, rather that persisting with players who we already know are not international quality.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    There's an interview with him on the FA's website here: From Spotland terraces to the international stage
    Looks like his two caps came in the games against Poland and the Netherlands

This quote from the article is interesting
    And the next chance to build on his international career will come in his new-found home region, with the Midlands playing host to England’s European U17 Championship Elite Round Qualifiers in March – something which Ronan is desperate to be involved with.

“It would be great. If I keep playing well for my club then hopefully I can get that chance.
    Ronan had switched his allegiance by the time of those qualifiers, and actually played against England in the finals: https://www.uefa.com/under17/season=...450/index.html

24. Thanks From:

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast