Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2016 FAI Cup Final Referee. Rob (Roy) Rodgers.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    86 Posts

2016 FAI Cup Final Referee. Rob (Roy) Rodgers.

I thinks its only fair to mention Mr Rob (Roy) Rodgers the referee from yesterdays final..

If you see this Rob, well done on an abysmal performance.

Giving yellow cards when none were warranted & not giving them when they were obvious.
    Dragging the game back for free kicks when the players just wanted to get on with it & generally doing everything in your limited power to destroy the occasion.
    Typical League of Ireland referee wanting to be the center of attention at all times.
    Do us a favor Rob,pack it in & give all suffering League of Ireland fans a break.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Rogers was excellent throughout the game. Maybe could have given Cork a penalty early on but overall he was superb.
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

3. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    346 Posts
    Didn't think he was that bad ,Caulfields tactics destroyed the game in the first half nowt to do with the referee .

5. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    457 Posts
    The comments above re Roy Rodgers can also be shared in regard to the referee at the Women's final, Deirdre Nolan, who gave possibly the two worst penalty decisions in favour of a single team that I've ever seen at one match. (I don't know what they looked like on television but even the Cork supporters beside me couldn't believe the second one and reporters have already conceded that the second one was not a penalty). Coupled with a decision not to award Wexford's Aisling Frawley a peno when she was taken down in the box, it was potentially a three goal swing that the referee was responsible for.

My suspicions had been aroused initially when I looked at the FAI official programme before the match which contained, on page 44, a reasonably long interview with said referee. There was a curious omission in the interview - it gave no indication as to where she was from or what league she was linked to. Maybe Inishowen - lots of football there. Perhaps Cork, plenty of good women's teams there. Even Galway with Galway WFC and Salthill Devon to the fore in women's football.

When I came home after the final, I googled the said name with the addition of the term "referee". Assuming the two persons are one and the same, Deirdre Nolan is affiliated to the North Dublin Schoolboys/Girls League. Thus, for a cup final between teams from Wexford and North Dublin, the FAI thought it proper to appoint a North Dublin referee.

In the programme interview, the referee also is tellingly quoted as saying "you get to know the teams quite well." I'd wager that she knows Shelbourne a lot better than she knows Wexford as I don't think I've ever seen her referee a game in Wexford.

Other issues in regard to this particular match also left a very bitter taste in the mouth thereafter but I've not got full details as yet.

Finally, I should say that Shelbourne were outstanding on the day and gave the best performance by a women's team that I've seen since WYW began in the WNL and the above comments should not be regarded in any way as taking away from their win (which I'm sure they won't).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    Rogers was excellent throughout the game. Maybe could have given Cork a penalty early on but overall he was superb.
    Completely agree. I thought he had a great game overall. And some of the logic he applied throughout by not booking players and just telling them to cop on was great to see.

Unlike a certain Mr Winters 5 years previously. #stillbitter
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    583 Posts
    Thought the ref did fine from watching on TV. Very surprised by the OP's comments.
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeverFeltBetter View Post
    Thought the ref did fine from watching on TV. Very surprised by the OP's comments.
    He was crap for both teams IMO.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    He obviously decided he wasn't going to send anyone off. That is the only possible explanation for ignoring persistent fouling in the first half. Someone could have seriously hurt.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    I was impressed with Rodgers, he done well and was well in control of the proceedings.
    Was the pitch as cráp as it looked on the tele?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    I enjoyed it. But I am a glutton.

TBH it was decent fare considering how wrecked both teams must have been after that season.

Though I was in the Upper West and seeing as it practically got to the end of ET, I wanted penalties to at least make the numb knees I had then possessed worthwhile.
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    238 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ForzaForth View Post
    The comments above re Roy Rodgers can also be shared in regard to the referee at the Women's final, Deirdre Nolan, who gave possibly the two worst penalty decisions in favour of a single team that I've ever seen at one match. (I don't know what they looked like on television but even the Cork supporters beside me couldn't believe the second one and reporters have already conceded that the second one was not a penalty). Coupled with a decision not to award Wexford's Aisling Frawley a peno when she was taken down in the box, it was potentially a three goal swing that the referee was responsible for.

My suspicions had been aroused initially when I looked at the FAI official programme before the match which contained, on page 44, a reasonably long interview with said referee. There was a curious omission in the interview - it gave no indication as to where she was from or what league she was linked to. Maybe Inishowen - lots of football there. Perhaps Cork, plenty of good women's teams there. Even Galway with Galway WFC and Salthill Devon to the fore in women's football.

When I came home after the final, I googled the said name with the addition of the term "referee". Assuming the two persons are one and the same, Deirdre Nolan is affiliated to the North Dublin Schoolboys/Girls League. Thus, for a cup final between teams from Wexford and North Dublin, the FAI thought it proper to appoint a North Dublin referee.

In the programme interview, the referee also is tellingly quoted as saying "you get to know the teams quite well." I'd wager that she knows Shelbourne a lot better than she knows Wexford as I don't think I've ever seen her referee a game in Wexford.

Other issues in regard to this particular match also left a very bitter taste in the mouth thereafter but I've not got full details as yet.

Finally, I should say that Shelbourne were outstanding on the day and gave the best performance by a women's team that I've seen since WYW began in the WNL and the above comments should not be regarded in any way as taking away from their win (which I'm sure they won't).
    Watched the womens final alright.
    I'll never complain about our referees ever again......well, for four months anyway.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by White Horse View Post
    He obviously decided he wasn't going to send anyone off. That is the only possible explanation for ignoring persistent fouling in the first half. Someone could have seriously hurt.
    And yet no one was. Phew......
    ---

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    And yet no one was. Phew......
    I wouldn't be so cavalier with the safety of others.

Chris Shields was very lucky.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    I'd say he was unlucky. No doubt Cork went out hard at the start but thought ref handled it well.
    ---

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    86 Posts
    I suppose after Anthony Buttimer, Rodgers must look like Collina
    If anyone had got seriously hurt it would have been down to the referee for failing to controls the players.

A mate sent me this photo this morning. He said it appeared on the Cork City forum.
    If you look you'll see exactly what I mean. Six officials & they still can't see anything

Eye gouging.
    I thought this sort of behavior only happened in Rugby ?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by disgruntled; 08/11/2016 at 1:27 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    In that picture there's about 12 players between the ref and the incident. Give them a break
    ---

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    86 Posts
    In that picture there's about 12 players between the ref and the incident. Give them a break
    Tell that to Beattie.

What about the other 5 officials ?
    Don't they count ?

Come off it Dodge. That's a terrible thing to do to anyone.
    Its just downright dangerous as well as being sneaky.
    Wait until you think the ref can't see you & put the fingers in.

I always knew Shields was a bit of a hard man but I didn't think he did that.
    Must be something he learned in Bray as Dundalk players would never do something like that

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    To be honest, it looks like Chris Shields is helpfully adjusting a contact lens.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    41 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by disgruntled View Post
    Come off it Dodge. That's a terrible thing to do to anyone............... Wait until you think the ref can't see you
    the ref should have done more you say ???

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts
    UK Daily Mail type of post with the photo. A single photo can often taken out of context. Video footage would be required to see what actually happened. It could be a case of head to hand rather than hand to head but sure maybe it wouldn't be sensationalism if we actually saw the sequence of events rather than a snapshot.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast