Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: Baseball

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts

Baseball

I know after the fact it's silly to start the thread. But I think SkStu needs to come and wax lyrical about Maddon & Co.

Had to go to work this morning so no way I could stay up and watch game 7 despite watching (Cubs 9-3 Indians) game 6. I knew it would go to the wire, comebacks, extra innings and whatever else the Gods of Baseball could throw at it. Cos that's what usually happens when I miss these things.

Anyway, a whopper play-off series overall and I don't think a better World Series could have been asked for. But after this and the Western Bulldogs winning the AFL, It's time to throw some money on Liverpool for the EPL and Mayo for the Sam in 2017. And the Leafs to win the Stanley C... actually, forget about that one.
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    772 Posts
    Stayed up for 3 innings but a 7am alarm meant to had to go to sleep - with the rain delay I don't think it finished until close to 5am.

Very little in Pro sport compares to post season baseball IMO.

I'm delighted for the Cubs, yet gutted for Indians fans. I hope Steve Bartman had a few bud lights for himself somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by BonnieShels View Post
    Anyway, a whopper play-off series overall and I don't think a better World Series could have been asked for. But after this and the Western Bulldogs winning the AFL, It's time to throw some money on Liverpool for the EPL and Mayo for the Sam in 2017. And the Leafs to win the Stanley C... actually, forget about that one.
    I'd settle for an Ireland rugby win v the AB's in Chicago of all places Saturday!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,595 Posts
    Bonnie, I don't even know where to start. I'm trying to think of what this is similar to but it speaks for itself. Heard some people compare to Leicester winning the league last season but the back story makes it so very different. The Cubs are an institution and a story to themselves. Anyone who is fortunate enough to have lived on the north side of Chicago will know how much the Cubs are ingrained in everything there. I lived there for 4 months back in 2003 and lived about a mile away from Wrigley which meant I ended up going to a load of games which had me hooked - not on baseball really, I'll only ever really watch post season except a few games if I'm bored - but on the Cubs. Similar to how I fell in love with Bohs I suppose. The people, the craic, the setting and the story. Sammy Sosa was the man back then for the Cubs. They had a good team. Whispers about a possible post season run which of course fell through in typical Cubs fashion. Anyway I've always followed them since and I knew after their wild card and run last year that something big might be coming but laughed it off. Of course, living in Canada now, the Jays are also experiencing something of a renaissance and all of Canada supports the Jays. Not me, no way. It's so insincere.

Anyway, on Maddon, the job he's done there is unbelievable in building a young winning team with unbelievable self belief. And the players love him and play for him. Quite remarkable. I actually didn't think he coached a good game last night. A friend on fb mentioned that he shouldn't have put chapman out to close game 6 but I don't agree with that. I thought he should have left Hendricks on later last night. But a remarkable coaching season stupid to nitpick when they just won.

The team speaks for itself. Young talented and hungry. Addison and Baez two of my favourites. Lots of nerves last night especially in the field but you have to expect that.

Game 7 had it all. You could put that beside any major sporting event and it would more than hold it's own. But Baseball is looked down upon. Sure the season is imo too long and the games can drag but when it comes to the World Series it's always got the drama and intensity but last night took it to another level. When the Indians took it to 6-6 I thought "here we go, same old cubbies" but the rain delay gave them 20 mins or so to rally together and they blew them away in the tenth. 2rbi, Bases loaded, 2 out! So intense. And then the Indians get the third out on a swing. Then to the bottom and quick 2 outs for the Indians and then a walk and then a stolen base and then a rbi to take it to 8-7. Runner on 2nd and the hit! And the out! Classic stuff.

CUBBIES!!!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Real ale Madrid View Post
    Stayed up for 3 innings but a 7am alarm meant to had to go to sleep - with the rain delay I don't think it finished until close to 5am.

Very little in Pro sport compares to post season baseball IMO.

I'm delighted for the Cubs, yet gutted for Indians fans. I hope Steve Bartman had a few bud lights for himself somewhere.

I'd settle for an Ireland rugby win v the AB's in Chicago of all places Saturday!
    I'm trying not to get too worked up about the AB game. I might have to work so I'll miss it in all likelihood. So we'll win.

I've always avoided baseball because I have too many sports on my plate tbh. But with the Cubs, Indians and Jays in the play-offs it was too hard to ignore.
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    First post on this thread in a year and a half, but wanted to note that tonight, Belfast-born PJ Conlon will make the first MLB appearance for an Irish-born player since 1945.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/northern-ireland/44029898

6. Thanks From: