Page 95 of 117 FirstFirst ... 45859394959697105 ... LastLast
Results 1,881 to 1,900 of 2330

Thread: Transfer Rumours 201X Season

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    188 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezeikial View Post
    There is little doubt that Patrick Hoban is a very important player for Dundalk although Michael Duffy is probably ahead of him currently in the POTY stakes. The signing of Georgie Kelly fills an important gap in the squad as the back-up was inadequate in that position. Stephen Kenny has always tended to replace some of his attacking players in the last quarter, but has been reluctant to sub out Hoban because of these poor options - this should allow him more options.

Dundalk are also heavily reliant on Chris Shields currently - and I would be concerned if any of Hoban, Shields, Duffy or Rogers were out for any length of time
    While Duffy is probably the best performer, I'd think Hoban is the most important. Without Duffy, you still have fantastic options, even if you only win games by 2 rather than 3/4. Hoban is a different story i think, depending on how quickly Kelly adapts.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    653 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezeikial View Post

Some will always choose to go that will never change.
    Personally think they are mad but there you go , at least only 1 from Rovers and we aren't announcing we are "delighted"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    389 Posts
    Not sure if it was in here already

http://www.the42.ie/seamus-keogh-sli...94773-Jun2018/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    232 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    Couldn't agree more with you El P if Dundalk win the league this year it could be a long time before anyone gets to challenge.
    On the other hand if they don't win it Kenny could be on his way as the yanks don't do sentiment,
    Given the likely domination to come i'll have to start cheering for you boys this season , might wait until Saturday though
    Would have thought that's highly unlikely, whether Dundalk win the title or not. It's kinda scary now they way they are hovering up players. Ominous for everyone else. The predictions when Rovers made the Europa League Groups a few years ago about how they were going to dominate the league may well be coming true for Dundalk. Brilliant if you're a Dundalk fan, less so if you support anyone else. Cork will probably continue to challenge them, but everyone else looks in danger of being cut adrift. Hopefully it won't last. One of my favourite things about the league here is that the trophies tended to be pretty well shared out, until now.
    Out for a spell, got neglected, lay on the bench unselected.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    365 Posts
    Financial muscle in all levels of football will generally ensure that club will get the best players / be most successfull (most of the time) and in Dundalk's case it was driven by the earned euro money. This obviously attracted interest and the Chicago led consortium who bought the club, and they would have inherited some of that but also they now responsible for all the bills. And the future profits of course.

I said it before on here and it's always worth reminding. Hard work and not just on the pitch is required for success, but so too is that bit of fortune, had Dundalk not drawn FH in 2016, who were by far the weakest of the seeded teams, (and who we only beat on away goals) there would have been long odds on Dundalk making the EL group stages.

Granted BATE had to be taken care of (excellent performance and result in Tallaght) but often forgotten is the away 0-1 defeat a week before, when they battered us, how we got away with a 0-1 defeat was amazing, hard damn work, well organised but there you go, these are the fine margins you have and it all started with drawing FH. Anyone else and we could have been eliminated that July instead of early December and the difference of over 5 million, possibly more.
    Last edited by oriel; 04/07/2018 at 10:28 PM.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    188 Posts
    The euro money definitely kick-started it, and that's probably the case in a fair few countries. But I think we could have competed with the euro money alone, the additional outside investment is what will make the big difference. Being able to sign a handful of top quality players in a summer window is something no one else can generally compete with (Waterford probably the closest). Generally, you've most of your wage budget spent at the start of the season. That can be the difference in winning a league. Exciting times for Dundalk fans. Scary for the rest of us!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    Bradley, echoing the words of Cork City boss John Caulfield earlier this week, acknowledged that no other club can live with the table-toppers' financial might. “No, it doesn’t look like it," he said. "I read John was saying something similar.

"I’ve said it a lot of times, we can’t compete financially and it’s a market we don’t want to be competing in, letting players walk out and then buy them back, it doesn’t make sense, no matter what way you put it.

https://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/soc...eland-12853443

Stephen Bradley is the latest manager to offer commentary on Dundalk's transfer activity. While acknowledging that McEleney is a "top player", he thinks Dundalk shouldn't have resigned him as Irish clubs will now look foolish to their English betters. English clubs would never buy back a player who left on a free.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    188 Posts
    I think it's to be expected. Journalists are asking the question, because it's one of the most important developments in our league at the moment. They're going to want the opinions of other managers on it.

In fairness, losing a player on a free to have to pay to buy him back 6 months later when he fails to make an impact is bound to draw comment.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    61 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by White Horse View Post
    Bradley, echoing the words of Cork City boss John Caulfield earlier this week, acknowledged that no other club can live with the table-toppers' financial might. “No, it doesn’t look like it," he said. "I read John was saying something similar.

"I’ve said it a lot of times, we can’t compete financially and it’s a market we don’t want to be competing in, letting players walk out and then buy them back, it doesn’t make sense, no matter what way you put it.

https://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/soc...eland-12853443

Stephen Bradley is the latest manager to offer commentary on Dundalk's transfer activity. While acknowledging that McEleney is a "top player", he thinks Dundalk shouldn't have resigned him as Irish clubs will now look foolish to their English betters. English clubs would never buy back a player who left on a free.
    Paul Pogba... But don't let that stop you from talking out you're a**e Stephen, nothing else has.
    Mon the Town!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    188 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ArFella View Post
    Paul Pogba... But don't let that stop you from talking out you're a**e Stephen, nothing else has.
    I'm pretty sure that's White Horse's comment, not Bradleys

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    171 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ArFella View Post
    I'm gonna give you the benefit of the doubt and say since it was early you were just still half asleep and not just thick.

Also slight difference between buying back a player who you let go as a teenager and went to become the best player for the best team in the 4th best league in Europe a few years later and buying back a player 6 months after you let them go well in their 20s after they barely played in league 1

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by micls View Post
    In fairness, losing a player on a free to have to pay to buy him back 6 months later when he fails to make an impact is bound to draw comment.
    It is, and there are plenty of commentators in the media. It is surprising that managers are being very quick to offer their opinions on the transfer activity of another club.

McEleney was offered a long tern deal on several occasions by Dundalk and chose not to sign it. He then made a "bad decision" and left for Oldham.

The decision Dundalk faced was whether to try to resign McEleney when he became available. What went before it is irrelevant to that decision.

The big issue at the heart of this is the prevalence of short term contracts in the Irish game. Like most things in life, these contracts present advantages and disadvantages to clubs. The disadvantages are acutely apparent when marquee players leave for nothing. However, commentators rarely talk about the advantages. Clubs do not end up paying players for years when they decide they want to move them on.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    188 Posts
    Quick to offer opinions? They're being asked a timely question and answering. Is it a big deal? Should they be saying no comment or something? It is what it is, dundalk have more money than others, they will dominate the transfer market as a result. Not surprising that managers will answer with that too.

I agree on the length of contracts.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    Rovers want to make Duffy highest paid player in the league according to some! Cant compete though!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Personally think they are mad but there you go , at least only 1 from Rovers and we aren't announcing we are "delighted"
    'Delighted' is such a bizarre comment.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    171 Posts
    At least numbers are lower already, you'd have to imagine most of that Rovers 17s team would be gone if they weren't at rovers or maybe another loi club.

It is, and there are plenty of commentators in the media. It is surprising that managers are being very quick to offer their opinions on the transfer activity of another club.
    They're being asked a question what do you expect them to say? "sorry some Dundalk fans dont understand how interviews work so I can't answer that."

Quote Originally Posted by dundalkfc10 View Post
    Rovers want to make Duffy highest paid player in the league according to some! Cant compete though!
    Ah yeah faceless rumours are obviously true and the manager is obvious lying.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RathfarnhamHoop View Post
    They're being asked a question what do you expect them to say? "sorry some Dundalk fans dont understand how interviews work so I can't answer that."
    I completely understand that these two managers feel compelled to provide an full and direct answer to every question put to them by journalists.

It is an admirable quality that they consistently demonstrate.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    61 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by micls View Post
    I'm pretty sure that's White Horse's comment, not Bradleys
    Quote Originally Posted by RathfarnhamHoop View Post
    I'm gonna give you the benefit of the doubt and say since it was early you were just still half asleep and not just thick.

Also slight difference between buying back a player who you let go as a teenager and went to become the best player for the best team in the 4th best league in Europe a few years later and buying back a player 6 months after you let them go well in their 20s after they barely played in league 1
    Apologies, yes thought that was a direct quote from Bradley...

I don't think there is much of a difference in principle between the 2 deals though, albeit the money and timeline are vastly different, Man Utd & Dundalk both reluctantly let the player go as they were at the end of their contract and when they had the chance to resign the player that they realistically wanted to stay in the first place they both did so.

I am personally delighted we have McEleney back, while it looks on the outside that we've essentially spent €50k or whatever for him to have a 6-month holiday in Oldham the truth is we never wanted him to leave and now have him back on a 3.5 year contract for a very reasonable price considering the level he was playing at last season. Just look at Pat Hoban, anyone in the league would jump at the chance to sign him for €50k right now, but if we'd paid that kind of money for him before the season people would be laughing again.
    Mon the Town!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    I completely understand that these two managers feel compelled to provide an full and direct answer to every question put to them by journalists.

It is an admirable quality that they consistently demonstrate.
    Like kenny did when asked if he signed Sheppard.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sullanefc View Post
    Like kenny did when asked if he signed Sheppard.
    He would have been better off saying nothing. I said so at the time.

Dundalk fans are trying to claim that it was a good thing as we avoided signing a crocked player on big money. However, I don't buy that. Firstly, Sheppard is still a quality player even if his illness means he may not be same player he was. Secondly, some players may be reluctant to discuss a transfer to Dundalk in case it leaks and causes them difficulties with their current club.

I think Kenny has learnt his lesson, if his reaction to the leaked move for Kelly is anything to go by.

Page 95 of 117 FirstFirst ... 45859394959697105 ... LastLast