Page 90 of 117 FirstFirst ... 40808889909192100 ... LastLast
Results 1,781 to 1,800 of 2330

Thread: Transfer Rumours 201X Season

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dundalkfc10 View Post
    According to local station LMFM, we are in talks with Oldham to bring McEleney back
    Brilliant.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    649 Posts
    Cork fans opinion of mceleney is a bit like most loi fans opinion of cork. Probably a bit harsh .he is a super player.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    Cork fans opinion of mceleney is a bit like most loi fans opinion of cork. Probably a bit harsh .he is a super player.
    Spot on, he can be an exceptional player on his day. The thing is if he did come back it's only a matter of time before he turns it on against Cork so they're setting themselves up for a good bit of stick when it happens.

Personally I wouldn't take him back, he has moved on and so have we. It rarely works, although Hoban is certainly breaking the mould. I'd prefer if we kept Adorján

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    188 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mcgonigle View Post
    Spot on, he can be an exceptional player on his day. The thing is if he did come back it's only a matter of time before he turns it on against Cork so they're setting themselves up for a good bit of stick when it happens.
    Meh. I'll take the odds. For years, he hasn't turned up against us. It's a huge advantage to us, as ye're almost playing a player down against us with him in the team. Maybe one day he'd turn up, who knows, but advantage of all the other games would be worth it.

I've no doubt he'd score plenty against other teams, but to be fair, ye're hammering them anyway! It's not a signing I'd be overly concerned with. Ye have a rake of attacking players at this point, ye can still only play one of two of them.

From a dundalk perspective, I imagine most would be delighted to have him back though. He's given ye plenty of good memories over the years. I'm just not sure ye need him.

That sadi, if anyone else were to sign him, he'd be a big asset to the likes of Derry, waterford or rovers, who are looking for consistency against the teams around and below them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by micls View Post
    Meh. I'll take the odds. For years, he hasn't turned up against us. It's a huge advantage to us, as ye're almost playing a player down against us with him in the team. Maybe one day he'd turn up, who knows, but advantage of all the other games would be worth it.

I've no doubt he'd score plenty against other teams, but to be fair, ye're hammering them anyway! It's not a signing I'd be overly concerned with. Ye have a rake of attacking players at this point, ye can still only play one of two of them.

From a dundalk perspective, I imagine most would be delighted to have him back though. He's given ye plenty of good memories over the years. I'm just not sure ye need him.

That sadi, if anyone else were to sign him, he'd be a big asset to the likes of Derry, waterford or rovers, who are looking for consistency against the teams around and below them.
    You need to expand your horizons a bit. You sound very parochial, like a GAA fan in many ways.

Successful teams play in Europe, and to do well at that level, teams need players like McEleney. His performances in Poland, Russia, and Holland were excellent.

You might find this out one day.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    79 Posts
    If he signs and it’s looking likely he will, he will start in Europe

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by White Horse View Post
    Russia
    How did that trip go by the way? Never heard.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    188 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by White Horse View Post
    You need to expand your horizons a bit. You sound very parochial, like a GAA fan in many ways.

Successful teams play in Europe, and to do well at that level, teams need players like McEleney. His performances in Poland, Russia, and Holland were excellent.

You might find this out one day.
    What a bizarre post. Did you read my post?

I said, as a city fan I'd be happy to have him play against us. I also accept dundalk fans would likely love to have him. Both things are not contradictory. I also said he'd be a huge asset to teams with less attacking players than Dundalk. I never questioned his performances in Europe. I don't see Dundalk progressing in Europe as a bad thing, so him performing for you there isn't a negative for me.

You have Murray, Adorján and McGrath currently fighting for the same position. McEleney doesn't worry me, in terms of the league, more than they do. Ye're already very strong in that position.
    Last edited by micls; 11/06/2018 at 7:59 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    222 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sulywaterfordfc View Post
    On another note, id guess Barry back to Derry with Kane out on loan?
    I'd happily take Aaron Barry back, but not sure we'd be the obvious choice for him. He's from Wicklow, and could probably get better money in Dublin.

Regarding P McEleney, I don't think Derry can, or even should try, to compete with Dundalk. Much as I'd love to see him back, Dundalk makes more sense for him career-wise. He'll get paid more, with more exposure in Europe.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,220 Posts
    Dylan Watts released by Leicester. Wonder what that means for his loan with Bohs? That expires at the end of the month I think?

Seems to have been one of their better performers this season - but would they get him on a permanent contract?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Where you hearing he was released, not seeing it anywhere from Leicester

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    231 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Dylan Watts released by Leicester. Wonder what that means for his loan with Bohs? That expires at the end of the month I think?

Seems to have been one of their better performers this season - but would they get him on a permanent contract?
    With the attention he's attracted I'd say it will be difficult for Bohs to hang on to him if he becomes a free agent.
    Out for a spell, got neglected, lay on the bench unselected.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,220 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sidcon View Post
    Where you hearing he was released, not seeing it anywhere from Leicester
    It's in the Ireland forum here; tets has posted up a list of Irish players who have been released by their clubs

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    114 Posts
    Watts would be a cracking signing for any of the top 5, seen a fair bit of him at bohs this season and he's head and shoulders above most else on the park every time, some range of passing on the lad. If bohs manage to get him to sign on permanently it'll be massive for them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    649 Posts
    Couldn't see him signing for Bohs he will either go back to England to a lower league club or sign for one of the full time clubs here.
    I could be wrong but genuinely think he is to good to be going part time at this stage of his career.

And I fully realise there are part time teams above us

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Latest news on McEleney

The inference from Stephen Kenny's comments is that Dundalk are not prepared to pay the fee being sought by Oldham

DFC | Kenny: McEleney return unlikely

25-year-old still has two years to run on his deal at Oldham

https://dundalksport.ie/dfc-kenny-mc...y-114d847533ab

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    How many missed payments would render a contract null and voild in EFL rules. It makes sense for Oldham to look for money from wherever they can. They could also make sure certain players that there is interest in are paid so that they can command a transfer fee. McEleney has played very little football since last November so he is unlikely to come in to a team in July in any great form and its been said that he doesnt have a natural athleticism and has to work hard to keep match fit. Loan options wouldnt be cheap as Oldham are not going to want to be paying too much of a wage and if he is on even 3k a week and its more likely to be 10k then that surely prices him out of a loan move. A transfer fee would have to be in the 100k region? although at least then it would mean a 3 or 4 year deal. Its a shame as he is a quality player, another one wasted by getting a larger wage in lower english leagues but not playing at L1 or L2. He will be a luxury player at L2 where there isnt too much focus on skilfull players, he will be kicked around the place. As Cork fans like to point out that in a battle of attrition that have been games between Dundalk and Cork he didnt make much of an impact. Playing against team who also try to play football he can be lethal as we saw against BATE especially and the goals he can create with a little time and space - something he wont get in most L2 games. Change of manager though who wasnt playing him so its a fresh start at Oldham for him too if there isnt a move.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    66 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post

Watts linked with a move to Waterford in the Sunday paper from last weekend
    Last edited by sulywaterfordfc; 12/06/2018 at 5:43 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    66 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    How many missed payments would render a contract null and voild in EFL rules. It makes sense for Oldham to look for money from wherever they can. They could also make sure certain players that there is interest in are paid so that they can command a transfer fee. McEleney has played very little football since last November so he is unlikely to come in to a team in July in any great form and its been said that he doesnt have a natural athleticism and has to work hard to keep match fit. Loan options wouldnt be cheap as Oldham are not going to want to be paying too much of a wage and if he is on even 3k a week and its more likely to be 10k then that surely prices him out of a loan move. A transfer fee would have to be in the 100k region? although at least then it would mean a 3 or 4 year deal. Its a shame as he is a quality player, another one wasted by getting a larger wage in lower english leagues but not playing at L1 or L2. He will be a luxury player at L2 where there isnt too much focus on skilfull players, he will be kicked around the place. As Cork fans like to point out that in a battle of attrition that have been games between Dundalk and Cork he didnt make much of an impact. Playing against team who also try to play football he can be lethal as we saw against BATE especially and the goals he can create with a little time and space - something he wont get in most L2 games. Change of manager though who wasnt playing him so its a fresh start at Oldham for him too if there isnt a move.
    Oldham seem to be in real trouble at the moment which is awful to see for any club. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/foo...aid-wages.html

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    222 Posts
    Gary Oliver, Greenock Morton striker, is a target for Derry, according to the Scottish papers.
    Looking like a replacement for Ronan Curtis.

Page 90 of 117 FirstFirst ... 40808889909192100 ... LastLast