Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2016 LOI Champions

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Congrats to Dundalk - wonderful team.
    What kind of side is Kenny going to put out against Pats and Galway? How many players cane he rest?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    Thanks. It's been an amazing few seasons. I almost have a scrap of sympathy for Cork who have clearly been head and shoulders above the rest but have had the extreme misfortune to run into this Dundalk team.

Just on the finance thing, of course Dundalk have used their relative wealth to bolster the squad. Horgan, Rogers, McEleney, McMillan and Benson were all established players who would have been wanted anywhere. (Finn and Kilduff weren't wanted at their clubs)

But the basis of this team is Stephen Kenny's incredible ability to pull together a squad and get the very best out of them. Make no mistake, at the start of 2013 any half decent club in the league would have had the money to bully Dundalk out of it and sign up any of our players. Nobody else wanted any of our extraordinary defence- Gartland, Boyle, Massey, Gannon. Nobody wanted O'Donnell, Meenan, Hoban or Towell.

Finn was mentioned above, but the acquistion wasn't the result of Dundalk outbidding Rovers.... Fenlon released Finn, reckoning Gavin Brennan to be a better fit. Rovers didn't want O'Donnell and nobody else was willing to take a chance.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seand View Post
    Thanks. It's been an amazing few seasons. I almost have a scrap of sympathy for Cork who have clearly been head and shoulders above the rest but have had the extreme misfortune to run into this Dundalk team.

Just on the finance thing, of course Dundalk have used their relative wealth to bolster the squad. Horgan, Rogers, McEleney, McMillan and Benson were all established players who would have been wanted anywhere. (Finn and Kilduff weren't wanted at their clubs)

But the basis of this team is Stephen Kenny's incredible ability to pull together a squad and get the very best out of them. Make no mistake, at the start of 2013 any half decent club in the league would have had the money to bully Dundalk out of it and sign up any of our players. Nobody else wanted any of our extraordinary defence- Gartland, Boyle, Massey, Gannon. Nobody wanted O'Donnell, Meenan, Hoban or Towell.

Finn was mentioned above, but the acquistion wasn't the result of Dundalk outbidding Rovers.... Fenlon released Finn, reckoning Gavin Brennan to be a better fit. Rovers didn't want O'Donnell and nobody else was willing to take a chance.
    There wasn't exactly a queue of clubs looking for McMillan. He was a player who had "failed" at Pats and Sligo.

As for Kilduff, he was sitting in the stand in Inchicore.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    649 Posts

Ah but back then Fenlon was the God that SK is today, plus ca Change, Plus C'est la meme chose...wonder who will be God in 3 years time ?

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    With the exception of Dundalk this season on account of the Euro windfall, I'd say every LOI club spends more than it earns, significantly so in many cases. There is a benefactor or members fund or bank loan in use at every club, including Dundalk.
    A report on the accounts for 2014 season show Dundalk made a profit of €26k ,....... even after the FAi sliced off €34k in fines and fees, aka legalised baksheesh.
    My point stands, Dundalk have not bankrolled their team to success above and beyond regular income (incl fundraising, sponsorship). There are no debts from running the club in 2014, no unpaid bills. If there is a loan somewhere, it is being managed.
    Last edited by geysir; 24/10/2016 at 11:55 AM.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,219 Posts
    That report doesn't indicate if the club is or isn't being bankrolled in fairness.

Which isn't to diminish the fact that they've been winning the league with players other clubs didn't want.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Nobody else wanted any of our extraordinary defence- Gartland, Boyle, Massey, Gannon. Nobody wanted O'Donnell, Meenan, Hoban or Towell.

Ah here. Rovers offered Towell a deal - he chose Dundalk and it was clearly a smart choice. Rovers offered Finn a deal but, surprise surprise, he decided he'd rather win titles and play European football. The likes of Gartland, Massey, etc wouldn't have attracted the attention of other teams at the top end of the table and Kenny's done a very good job, but they weren't exactly unwanted.

You'd swear Stephen Kenny had gone down the local orphanage and formed a team from the few who had use of both legs.

Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    A report on the accounts for 2014 season show Dundalk made a profit of €26k ,....... even after the FAi sliced off €34k in fines and fees, aka legalised baksheesh.
    My point stands, Dundalk have not bankrolled their team to success above and beyond regular income (incl fundraising, sponsorship). There are no debts from running the club in 2014, no unpaid bills. If there is a loan somewhere, it is being managed.
    Accumulated profits isn't the same as a yearly profits. In fact, it's not necessarily a profit at all. It's fairly uncontroversial that Dundalk's owners have had to put their own money into the club over the past four years - there's nothing to be ashamed of. Every club does it because there just isn't the earning potential in this league outside of European prize money.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    You'd swear Stephen Kenny had gone down the local orphanage and formed a team from the few who had use of both legs.
    Waifs and strays.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    649 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Straightstory View Post
    Congrats to Dundalk - wonderful team.
    What kind of side is Kenny going to put out against Pats and Galway? How many players cane he rest?
    Neither Pats or Galway have anything to play for so I cant see any complaints if he fields a complete second string.
    Surely the priority should be giving the first team the best chance in Russia, who could object...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    217 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jinxy lilywhite View Post
    I really don't know what you have against current loi sides in European competitonbut it is folly to think even at ELQ1 stage that you can path your way to the groups. Even at CLQ3 level where of you lose you fall into EL playoff stage.
    I've nothing at all against LoI sides in Europe. There was a question mark after the question can Cork City compete against the likes of Genk in a few years? Would Dundalk have gotten through over two legs against Genk? If Cork see themselves as genuine challengers to Dundalk's crown, they should be able to offer a similar threat to teams in the EL qualifiers as Dundalk would. Dundalk have set the bar.
    https://foot.ie/forums/117-Kerry-FC
    A Championship: 4 years - 8 first teams - 0 financially ruined. First Division '14: 7 first teams.
    Opportunity lost for new clubs/regions to join the LoI family.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    I maintain that Genk were a much tougher team then we could be reasonably expected to get a result against. They have continued to prove that in the Group stages, beating Athletic Bilbao last week. We actually gave them a real game in Belgium but they stepped up their performance in Cork. Genk I think were the second highest seed in the third round, and were in the top 10 for the playoff round even after Champions League teams dropped in.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    217 Posts
    I think there's been two Cypriot clubs competing in the European group stages in recent years. A second Cypriot club made progress in Europe following on from the success of another.

Dundalk have been improving in Europe year on year. Cork improved on last year. The question I guess is can they improve on this year? Obviously hard to answer with luck of the draw and the knockout nature of the qualifiers.
    https://foot.ie/forums/117-Kerry-FC
    A Championship: 4 years - 8 first teams - 0 financially ruined. First Division '14: 7 first teams.
    Opportunity lost for new clubs/regions to join the LoI family.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    900 Posts
    The best team usually wins the league, but not this year. Dundalk have been outstanding - 'best' hardly does them justice.

<Takes hat off and bows enviously>
    Hello, hello? What's going on? What's all this shouting, we'll have no trouble here!
    - E Tattsyrup.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    231 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    Neither Pats or Galway have anything to play for so I cant see any complaints if he fields a complete second string.
    Surely the priority should be giving the first team the best chance in Russia, who could object...
    No objections or complaints from me after last night . I,ve read two comments on it which sum it up for me. 1) Dundalk and Stephen Kenny have earned the right to field whatever team he wanted last night, and on Friday, and 2) Every manager in the league would have done the same, particularly with their schedule. It's not as if last night affected any other issues in the league - i.e relegation or Europe.
    Out for a spell, got neglected, lay on the bench unselected.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    649 Posts
    Sligo manager must be on a bonus for league position. I spoke to two pals who follow sligo and they couldn't give a toss.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    231 Posts
    Sligo manager must be on a bonus for league position. I spoke to two pals who follow sligo and they couldn't give a toss.
    It's the massive difference in prize money from the FAI obviously.....oh, wait......

17. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    231 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by White Horse View Post
    There wasn't exactly a queue of clubs looking for McMillan. He was a player who had "failed" at Pats and Sligo.
    I'm really surprised at the progress McMillain has made at Dundalk. While it might be harsh to say he failed at Pats I would have said he was no better than average for us.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    387 Posts
    Even if he was if he can't beat Wexford at home he doesn't deserve it

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12