Page 43 of 60 FirstFirst ... 33414243444553 ... LastLast

Thread: League of Ireland in Europe 2017

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    Yes playing in the Aviva with 90% support for Celtic would be a sickener, Dundalk supporters would be completely passionately cheering for Dundalk and listening to Irish people cheer for a foreign team is sickening.
    I'm not sure that'd be the case. I can see why you'd think that and you're right to be cynical about Irish supporters of UK teams but I think there's a growing feeling among Irish football fans that the LOI is crucial to the way we develop the game here. I think some Irish Celtic fans will be very vocal, but more will be mooted. I think many non-Dundalk fans in Ireland will root for them too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    649 Posts
    Well if Rovers can win 5:4 in Prague next week we have a decent shout at getting another round
    Have to finish a bit better than last night , although in truth 2 goals should really be have been enough if we were awake at the back

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    86 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    Yes playing in the Aviva with 90% support for Celtic would be a sickener, Dundalk supporters would be completely passionately cheering for Dundalk and listening to Irish people cheer for a foreign team is sickening.
    I know it's a hypothetical scenario, but I'd like to see the LOI fans should pull together in such an event. Too right it is a sickening thought.
    [/B][I]P.Esc.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    445 Posts
    LOL at Caulfield complaining about players diving BTW
    Here on a technicality.

5. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    61 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Real ale Madrid View Post
    10 Cork City (IRL) or AEK Larnaca (CYP) 6.210 v 6 Rabotnicki (MKD) or Dinamo Minsk (BLR) 10.975

1 Shamrock Rovers (IRL) or Mladá Boleslav (CZE) coefficient 10.135 v 9 Kairat Almaty (KAZ) or Skënderbeu (ALB) 6.825
    Decent draw for both, if they manage to get through, especially for Cork considering the relative "giants" in the pot.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    86 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ArFella View Post
    Decent draw for both, if they manage to get through, especially for Cork considering the relative "giants" in the pot.
    A very decent draw, but it means nothing if we don't progress against AEK, and that's a big 'if'.
    [/B][I]P.Esc.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    Best possible draw for us in a tough little group, similar to the first round. Unbelievable opportunity to make the playoff round now. We will need to perform at a much higher level on Thursday first though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    328 Posts
    10 Cork City (IRL) or AEK Larnaca (CYP) 6.210 v 6 Rabotnicki (MKD) or Dinamo Minsk (BLR) 10.975

1 Shamrock Rovers (IRL) or Mladá Boleslav (CZE) coefficient 10.135 v 9 Kairat Almaty (KAZ) or Skënderbeu (ALB) 6.825
    You couldn't have asked for better draws. The real hope of the 2 ties is City. Score first and game on. I reckon Mlada will be on their way to the play off round as Skenderbeu drew 1-1 away in 1st leg.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,222 Posts
    Thought we played much better v Levadia when they had 11 - we were completely dominant in the first half. 6-2 was harsh on them but we were comprehensively the better team - Levadia's second goal was a complete joke anyway so there is give and take for that argument.

We were poor last night, but a narrow exit to a Cypriot team hardly paints the league in a poor light anyway - its what would be expected. I reckon we will give them a fright next week - weather we will be good enough to go through is doubtful though.
    Fair point on the handball goal alright.

This isn't a dig at Cork btw - the point more is that Cork are so far ahead of the rest of the league at present (as are Dundalk, especially given that they're now coming back into form) that I think a narrow exit to a Cypriot team by one of the most dominant teams the LoI has ever seen (over 20 games at least!) doesn't really reflect well on the rest of the pack (Dundalk aside).

Anyways, sure second legs to come; a lot can happen yet. Maybe a 50% chance of one side getting through to one of those nice third round ties. Worth noting Minsk - maybe the best of the four teams there? - only beat Pat's 2-1 last season.

11. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    61 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by El-Pietro View Post
    Best possible draw for us in a tough little group, similar to the first round. Unbelievable opportunity to make the playoff round now. We will need to perform at a much higher level on Thursday first though.
    Absolutely, Cork really need to bring their best game to Cyprus now, the motivation of potentially progressing to a the playoff stage should really get them up for this one, best of luck to them anyway. Don't be afraid to play the kids against Bray either, the league is over

Dundalk also should have HUGE motivation to get through too, not that it wasn't there in the first place. As much as I dislike Celtic and a large proportion of their Irish followers, Dundalk vs Celtic in the Champions League does make me giddy.

13. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Fair point on the handball goal alright.

This isn't a dig at Cork btw - the point more is that Cork are so far ahead of the rest of the league at present (as are Dundalk, especially given that they're now coming back into form) that I think a narrow exit to a Cypriot team by one of the most dominant teams the LoI has ever seen (over 20 games at least!) doesn't really reflect well on the rest of the pack (Dundalk aside).

Anyways, sure second legs to come; a lot can happen yet. Maybe a 50% chance of one side getting through to one of those nice third round ties. Worth noting Minsk - maybe the best of the four teams there? - only beat Pat's 2-1 last season.
    Probably agree but I think the standard in the lower to mid league is poor and we didn't need last night to tell us that. It's tough to access in relative terms because they are so far behind at the moment.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,222 Posts
    I guess we had Derry 2-10 Midtylland to tell us.

Fortunately, UCD can beat Charlton 4-1 and are therefore absolutely brilliant, despite what being second in the division below where Drogheda are falling away from Sligo who lost 4-0 to Derry who lost 2-10 in Europe suggests otherwise.

16. Thanks From:

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sullanefc View Post
    Going down easy and conning the referee is something I thought we had gotten to grips with, with all our experience against Dundalk.
    The persecution complex seems to grow in some Cork supporters.

I am surprised that Cork's outstanding form this season had not dispelled the insecurities that have been so obvious over the last few seasons. Has the first defeat of the season triggered all the doubts again?

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    26 Posts
    the new 10 year ranking system thing will be of benefit to Shamrock Rovers and Dundalk next European season (presuming both qualify for Europe) in that a quick scan seems to indicate that they might be seeded next year in the first Qualifying round (the other team who would likely be seeded is poor aul St. Pats).

Cork's (and Derry's) on the other hand is actually so bad that they will be using the league's coeffecient rather than their own... they would need to qualify for the play off round to even start racking up some points. Which means they will have a tough time of it next year being unseeded etc.

The saddest thing is that this new system encouages consistency but despite the strides the league has kinda sorta made the big issue at the moment is consistency/security. It seems like the league finally gets a team or two together performing well only to have it raided by clubs across the water and other players move on to another club etc preventing cohesion... Both Dundalk and Cork have sadly seen this happen to their solid teams. So while just appearing in Europe each year gives a team a few points not maintaining consistency means 2-3 years out of Europe and one starts dropping down (St. Pats have 2-3 years of a decent seeding)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezeikial View Post
    The persecution complex seems to grow in some Cork supporters.

I am surprised that Cork's outstanding form this season had not dispelled the insecurities that have been so obvious over the last few seasons. Has the first defeat of the season triggered all the doubts again?
    He also said that AEK forced Cork to go long which didn't suit them. Now Cork play some nice football but one of their key tactics is to play the ball over the top for Maguire as quick as possible.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    125 Posts
    I wonder if JCs mind was completely focused on the game. By the sound of things he appeared to talking dundalks chances against Rosenborg saying we should be beating a team like that at their press conference earlier this week

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    504 Posts
    Can't help but feel that both Dundalk and Cork left something behind them from my watching of the matches, I'd have Hope for Dundalk, seem to do just fine away from home in Europe and could certainly go through with some sort of score draw. Cork have an awful lot to do, them Spanish Cypriots looked like they might be a lot more trouble to contain on their own patch. Didn't know what to expect from Rovers, at least we know they can score over there in fact I think there's a good chance, all 3 can score away from home, but I'd take 1 team getting through at this stage.
    Last edited by Acornvilla; 14/07/2017 at 3:22 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sparky12345678 View Post
    the new 10 year ranking system thing will be of benefit to Shamrock Rovers and Dundalk next European season (presuming both qualify for Europe) in that a quick scan seems to indicate that they might be seeded next year in the first Qualifying round (the other team who would likely be seeded is poor aul St. Pats).

Cork's (and Derry's) on the other hand is actually so bad that they will be using the league's coeffecient rather than their own... they would need to qualify for the play off round to even start racking up some points. Which means they will have a tough time of it next year being unseeded etc.

The saddest thing is that this new system encouages consistency but despite the strides the league has kinda sorta made the big issue at the moment is consistency/security. It seems like the league finally gets a team or two together performing well only to have it raided by clubs across the water and other players move on to another club etc preventing cohesion... Both Dundalk and Cork have sadly seen this happen to their solid teams. So while just appearing in Europe each year gives a team a few points not maintaining consistency means 2-3 years out of Europe and one starts dropping down (St. Pats have 2-3 years of a decent seeding)
    The 10 year ranking is only for prize money. Seeding will be based on 5 years. We are above the league total. Our 5 year coefficient is 1.750 compared to the leagues value of 1.340 at present, if we progress past AEK then we'd be up to 2.250. Derry are at 1.250 so will be below the league value. Rovers at 1.500, winning the second round would live them up to 2 even. Dundalk at 5.500 will be seeded next year, winning against Rosenborg would bring them up to 6.
    https://kassiesa.home.xs4all.nl/bert...trank2018.html

23. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Im sure i can google it but how is the money breakdown effected by the 10 year record - the more you are in or succed in Europe the more you get? even if say a seeded team is beaten or is it simply a complete restructuring of where teams enter making it harder to get to the proper money pot?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    Im sure i can google it but how is the money breakdown effected by the 10 year record - the more you are in or succed in Europe the more you get? even if say a seeded team is beaten or is it simply a complete restructuring of where teams enter making it harder to get to the proper money pot?
    I think thats the idea but I haven't spent any time trying to work out how it will effect us. My assumption is it will only really matter from the group stages on. Make sure the likes of Man Utd and Liverpool get paid even if they miss out for a year or two. In the current format Leicester were making more prize money as the Champions than Arsenal even if they made the same progress. Reward big clubs for being big but not for actual progress.

Page 43 of 60 FirstFirst ... 33414243444553 ... LastLast