Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: More games against Shels - A good thing?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wws
    have Cork strengthened their squad in line with shels?

simple question
    It's such a simple question, even you can work out the answer!...

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Collins did well at Shels after he failed at Pats

Well biggest club and best support gives us the financial backing to go on and do well (dont forget our sponsorship deal which dwarfs your "one of the biggest in domestic football" deal), but sure thats only drivel

Ok lets look at the facts buddy.

1) Shels have spent big, they can still only put 11 players on the pitch. They have a better squad than ours but well all accept that

2) Look at the players we have. Look at the sucessful manager we have (he managed to win a few leagues with a small club in Dublin). Doyle, Kearney, O'Callaghan, O'Flynn, Bennett, Horgan, Fenn, Devine, Gamble all top quality players (better than anything small club above has). They are all young too. Fancy that, they'll only get better, you saw that as they started to gel towards the end of last season.

3) Shels escaped twice in Tolka Park last seaon with draws thanks to wonderful goal keeping by Steve Williams.If you were at the matches you'd know that we posed then a fair few problems

4) Yes everything written in the Star is gospel

Like I say Dubya I'll worry about City, you worry about Pats. I know I'll sleep soundly tonight
    Oh no not them again

thecorner
    Quote Originally Posted by SÓC

Well biggest club and best support gives us the financial backing to go on and do well (dont forget our sponsorship deal which dwarfs your "one of the biggest in domestic football" deal), but sure thats only drivel

1) Shels have spent big, they can still only put 11 players on the pitch. They have a better squad than ours but well all accept that

2) Look at the players we have. Look at the sucessful manager we have (he managed to win a few leagues with a small club in Dublin). Doyle, Kearney, O'Callaghan, O'Flynn, Bennett, Horgan, Fenn, Devine, Gamble all top quality players (better than anything small club above has). They are all young too. Fancy that, they'll only get better, you saw that as they started to gel towards the end of last season.

3) Shels escaped twice in Tolka Park last seaon with draws thanks to wonderful goal keeping by Steve Williams.If you were at the matches you'd know that we posed then a fair few problems

Like I say Dubya I'll worry about City, you worry about Pats. I know I'll sleep soundly tonight
    theres my post of the month

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    774 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SÓC

1) Sorry to disagree with you SOC but do you not think that until we Do have a stronger squad than Shelbourne that we wont finish ahead of them in the title race. Ok we had a super finish towards the end of last season – but CTOB aside we had no injuries. IMO we will defo need 3 or 4 good additions to the squad to realistically win the league – otherwise we’ll get close again but no cigar – and I’m getting sick of finishing second. Over the last 10 years we must have been second or third about 7 or 8 times.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Colins failed at pats as a manager - he took financial risks and he tried to break the stranglehold that a full time shels and bohs had on the league at that time - it ended in disaster but he did sign interesting players like for example Ndo who's now seen as crucial at shels - it was a gamble - a gamble that failed to come off - shels took a gamble (getting heavily in debt in the hope of gains - so have bohs) - for now - shels gamble has paid off and they've hit pay dirt

ok - 1 league is what Pat Dolan actually managed to win with st pats to be absolutely exact about things. I'd argue he won two but the league and history books disagree with that viewpoint as we all know full well.

Its not about an argument between the respective strengths of Cork and Pats but if it is, Keith Fahey and Colm Foley would walk into any team Cork have fielded over the last 10 years. And fan wise you probably couldn't find a saint who'd swop Stephen Quigley for his cork equivilant. But thats all by the by.

On sponsorship I've no idea as I haven't seen the figures for either the Nissan or Smart deals - if a comparison were made presumably the money per season would be the deciding factor - the nissan deal was reported to be spread over several seasons...hmmm.

Shels have the country's top striker and they've signed the second best. Cork have lured no one - You mention Fenn - I thought he was sidelined which led to an upturn in your fortunes?

anyway bottom line is I think Cork at best have stood still - I'll discount the financial disquiet as "paper talk" giving you the benefit of the doubt on that score but player wise nothing new has occured to revise estimates of your prospects upwards....shels on the contrary - took what they had and built on it with serious financial outlay - if the league is a battle between you two than my moneys on shels - obssessed? Maybe. Realistic? Definitely.
    Last edited by wws; 03/02/2005 at 11:48 AM. Reason: spelling

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    obssessed? Maybe. Realistic? Definitely.
    At least we agree on that
    Oh no not them again

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    obssessed? Maybe. Realistic? Definitely.
    Obssessed - Definitely!
    Realistic - Maybe!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Shels have spent big, they can still only put 11 players on the pitch. They have a better squad than ours but well all accept that
    Hawkins - FREE
    Crowe - FREE
    Baker - FREE
    O'Neill - FREE
    Ryan - FREE

I understand we have to pay wages every week but to pull off those 5 signings for free is a massive coup...

I would think Cork City would put any of the above in their squad? Not first team but they would make your squad...

Cork as has been said have done nothing yet only Gavin Dykes!!!

I really think you need to sign a few players to stay in the top two this year. Drogheda have made plenty of signings so they could squeeze in between the pair of us. Even Bohs could be there if Farrelly gets the finger out and eventually signs 2 or 3 decent players. He has until March 4th....

If you go into the season as you are now then your heading for 2nd or 3rd I would think. It a long way until the July transfer window.
    John Delaney!! GET OUT!!!
    www.ssdg.ie

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by higgins
    Hawkins - FREE
    Crowe - FREE
    Baker - FREE
    O'Neill - FREE
    Ryan - FREE

I understand we have to pay wages every week but to pull off those 5 signings for free is a massive coup...
    No doubt ye have the best squad but at best only Hawkins (not great form last season & Crowe look like 1st teamers. fair enough to pay good money to 1stv teamers but it could be an expense shel$ bench in 2005. Will ye need CL round 3 to have a chance at break-even?

If ye those 5 players were available i don't think city would have taken them considering the cost & disruption to club.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    If ye those 5 players were available i don't think city would have taken them considering the cost & disruption to club.
    So you would not buy in better players for fear of disruption? What will you do in 5 or 10 years when your current lot of superstars are in their 40's???

You can put a good slant on most things but you not signing players wont help you next season. Im not saying you wont sign anyone but as it stands it has to be a worry.

Who exactly have we got that Ryan and Baker cant replace? Exactly!! We dont have a right winger so now we have one and another for when hes out of form. so except for Crowe and Hawkins and Baker/Ryan you should say. I also think that O'Neill for McCarthy is a very very very good deal

Did you not have a look at the player of the season shortlist this year?

Still a long way to go to the league but on paper so far shels have made the right moves and NO we dont have to make the 3rd round to break even!!??? Where are you getting this from?

We lost a few players too
    Tony Mccarthy
    Ger Mccarthy
    Thomas Morgan
    Derek Pender
    Alan Macdermot
    Stephen Murtagh
    Kevin Doherty???
    and others who I cant remember??
    John Delaney!! GET OUT!!!
    www.ssdg.ie

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Real ale Madrid
    but CTOB aside we had no injuries.

Ahh ... Stephen O'Flynn ... and you left him out ???
    Hoggie ... where are you at ... and all the knocks and tips through the season. Fúck off to Off Topic with this comedy you fúckwit. We had a fair few.

We didn't incurr one injury last year, there are pics of Benno in a head lock being dragged to the ground, everyone saw the elbow Georgie got from Rennie at the cross (i know he played the next week). We didn't incurr injuries ?? We did ... but worked around it ... but we still got them, if a player cant play because of an injury from the previous game then that is an injury.

Shels were very lucky last year .... the game at the cross .. they scored two from two shots on goal all game. We'll if its like that all year now.

Shels barely got away with it last year, infact we gave it to them and City should make it easy this year, end of !! It was our own downfall last year ... take it away this year.

We are worse to be listening to this !!
    Some of ye are paying múppets too much attention altogether !!!
    The SFAI are the governing body for grassroots football in Ireland, not the FAI. Its success or the lack of is all down to them.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by higgins
    What will you do in 5 or 10 years when your current lot of superstars are in their 40's???
    Most of the City squad is early 20's. Only Mick Devine, Colin O Brien and Billy Woods are over the age of 26.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success.

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by A face
    We didn't incurr one injury last year, there are pics of Benno in a head lock being dragged to the ground, everyone saw the elbow Georgie got from Rennie at the cross ...
    Uriah Rennie ???

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by A face
    Shels barely got away with it last year, infact we gave it to them and City should make it easy this year, end of !! It was our own downfall last year ... take it away this year.
    Is it my imagination or were Shels on top of the table for virtually the whole of last season? It's not as if Cork were pipped at the post LIKE !

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shelsman
    Is it my imagination or were Shels on top of the table for virtually the whole of last season? It's not as if Cork were pipped at the post LIKE !

you can be top for as many games as you want during the season, its where you are at the end that counts. you win nothing for being top halfway through or after the second last game. thats like saying that the team who scores first should automatically win the game. Shels were the better team, but City weren't far off them at all.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12