Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Richie Sadlier on Second Captains

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

Richie Sadlier on Second Captains

He spoke very well about Dundalk the state of the league in general,what did ye think?
    Starts at about 28:09 https://soundcloud.com/secondcaptain...culture-abides
    oh boy I'm not good at football forums

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    Like everything with Richie Sadlier I think hes overly critical and negative. The points he made were fine but I think the majority of fans aren't as extreme as he makes it seem.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    184 Posts
    usually I like Richie a lot but when he talks about his LOI experience he is extremely negative. I'm sure there are some small minded ppl in each LOI club but Richie makes it seem like 90% of ppl involved at LOI clubs are total morans. He certainly never looks at it optimistically.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Philosophizer View Post
    usually I like Richie a lot but when he talks about his LOI experience he is extremely negative. I'm sure there are some small minded ppl in each LOI club but Richie makes it seem like 90% of ppl involved at LOI clubs are total morans. He certainly never looks at it optimistically.
    He seemed to start optimistically,or at least empathetically ,then gradually got angrier. Probably a bit scared from his experience at pats.

Some very good points about Dundalk's money were made. Seven million really is feck all in terms of professional sport
    oh boy I'm not good at football forums

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GUFCghost View Post
    He spoke very well about Dundalk the state of the league in general,what did ye think?[/URL]
    He did what he usually does, ridicule people involved in LOI football.

This was not a segment about Dundalk. It was a segment about how other clubs are too petty minded to welcome Dundalk's success.

Of all the angles on the Dundalk story that those second captain cnuts could have discussed, they had to chose one the paints the league in a bad light.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    233 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Philosophizer View Post
    I don't mind Sadlier either, he makes some good points at times, but ultimately he had the chance to contribute and maybe make a difference at Pats, but decided that was too difficult and took the easy option of sitting on the sidelines pontificating instead. Far easier, and you don't have to produce results. Remember, Richie is the man who gave Jeff Kenna the managers job at Pats.
    Out for a spell, got neglected, lay on the bench unselected.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    81 Posts
    I honestly think Sadlier sees an opportunity of being the controversial pundit. Dunphy isn't gonna be around for ever and I think Sadlier will be gunning for his position

8. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    288 Posts
    He can do one after the Prime Time thing. I think people are right about him just wanting to stir the pot. Knows exactly what he's doing. Reminds me of a journo once upon a time that had intimate knowledge of a situation at a LOI club and went on national radio to completely mischaracterised it, obviously deliberately.

10. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    217 Posts
    The presenters of that and non LoI "soccer fans" have a perception that Dundalk will take the rest of their domestic games lightly, so as to focus on their European games and the financial rewards it can offer. They can't seem to make the connection that Dundalk need to win the league to get back into the CL qualifiers next year.
    https://foot.ie/forums/117-Kerry-FC
    A Championship: 4 years - 8 first teams - 0 financially ruined. First Division '14: 7 first teams.
    Opportunity lost for new clubs/regions to join the LoI family.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,360 Posts
    Second Captains is a load of boll0cks and Richie Sadlier couldn't bring himself to say anything positive about the LOI if he was paid to do so.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    516 Posts
    Dunno, lads, I think you're all over reacting a bit, I thought what he said was fair enough, and pretty much the reality of the situation, and when he did say something negative, he usually tried to balance, by remarking that there are members of clubs and fans who aren't as extreme and think the opposite etc.
    They also did emphasize that dundalk need to win the league to be in the CL.

As for the schoolboy stuff from the other night, I got the impression, that he likely said a lot more and it was the editing of the piece that made him look awful, it was an incredibly biased excuse for journalism.
    Last edited by Acornvilla; 05/10/2016 at 11:54 AM.

14. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    217 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Acornvilla View Post
    As for the schoolboy stuff from the other night, I got the impression, that he likely said a lot more and it was the editing of the piece that made him look awful, it was an incredibly biased excuse for journalism.
    He's responding to most on twitter if anyone wants to debate it with him?!
    A Championship: 4 years - 8 first teams - 0 financially ruined. First Division '14: 7 first teams.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    184 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Acornvilla View Post
    I thought what he said was fair enough, and pretty much the reality of the situation, and when he did say something negative, he usually tried to balance, by remarking that there are members of clubs and fans who aren't as extreme and think the opposite etc.
    I've no doubt his stories are true, but in my view it's not balanced if he spends 5 mins ridiculing club administrators with stories of pettiness and small-mindedness, but then adds 10 second speech saying that there are lots of excellent people doing excellent work too.

He clearly found working in the LOI environment to be very frustrating but he doesn't have to stick the boot in every chance he gets. I get the impression he just wasn't a good enough communicator for that role. You need a lot of patience and diplomatic savvy (as well as other attributes) to succeed in a position like that - most people just don't have it. Don't get me wrong now, I generally like listening to him a lot because he seems to be quite intelligent, thoughtful and articulate, but that doesn't mean he can succeed at everything he puts his hand to.

17. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    86 Posts
    Just listened to all the program.
    I always thought that Sadlier was a realistic voice on Soccer & nothing I have heard in the program has changed my mind on that.
    He said it as it is with no attempt to hide away & always say the nice things for fear of upsetting anyone as distinct from the likes of Dunphy who says things just to get a reaction.

This makes me think that what he said on the Prime Time program was either heavily edited or taken totally out of context.
    It goes to show that you can't believe everything you hear & its very easy to take something & twist it to mean something totally different.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    217 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by disgruntled View Post
    This makes me think that what he said on the Prime Time program was either heavily edited or taken totally out of context.
    His twitter comments suggest his comments were not strongly edited and nor were they taken out of context.

He never replied to someone's tweet: "SKB are not being 'removed'. If LOI19/17 was so bad, young players wouldn't bother with it. SKB still doing what they do."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    86 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by legendz View Post
    His twitter comments suggest his comments were not strongly edited and nor were they taken out of context.

He never replied to someone's tweet: "SKB are not being 'removed'. If LOI19/17 was so bad, young players wouldn't bother with it. SKB still doing what they do."
    Sorry, don't have twitter so can't comment on that.

As to the LOI under age structure I think its the only way to go.
    I am of the opinion that schoolboys should start with their local club up to age 12 or 13 & if they show sufficient promise should continue their football education through the League of Ireland under age structure up to senior level.
    During that time they will receive coaching & training which will enable them to be better prepared should they go on to have professional careers in the UK or elsewhere.

However due compensation & attention must be paid to the clubs where they started their football.
    This could be in the form of assisting schoolboy clubs with equipment & coaching assistance plus a percentage of any transfer fees into the future of that players career. This percentage would be on any transfer fee for that player during his career.
    This would insure that any transfer monies would filter down through the leagues to the clubs where a player started their career.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    656 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by disgruntled View Post
    Sorry, don't have twitter so can't comment on that.

As to the LOI under age structure I think its the only way to go.
    I am of the opinion that schoolboys should start with their local club up to age 12 or 13 & if they show sufficient promise should continue their football education through the League of Ireland under age structure up to senior level.
    During that time they will receive coaching & training which will enable them to be better prepared should they go on to have professional careers in the UK or elsewhere.

However due compensation & attention must be paid to the clubs where they started their football.
    This could be in the form of assisting schoolboy clubs with equipment & coaching assistance plus a percentage of any transfer fees into the future of that players career. This percentage would be on any transfer fee for that player during his career.
    This would insure that any transfer monies would filter down through the leagues to the clubs where a player started their career.
    Completely agree and then we wouldn't have the DDSL clubs encouraging 15 year old kids to leave school to go to a UK academy and bet their lives on "making it"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    656 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    Completely agree and then we wouldn't have the DDSL clubs encouraging 15 year old kids to leave school to go to a UK academy and bet their lives on "making it"
    For the sake of a 5k fee

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    880 Posts
    Isnt that what does or is supposed to happen to benefit all the clubs involved in a players development with such a system of training compensation in place?

A change in mindset wouldnt go amiss by 'local' clubs also. They should view themselves as part of a pathway in player development in co-operation with senior clubs, not work against them, despite of them or to spite them as I have seen happen myself. The player should come first and should not be a pawn between egos or historical issues or disagreements between the different levels of the coaching structures. Young players should be allowed aspire to get to the top of the game but not be deemed a failure if a transfer straight to Man Utd doesnt materialise - there is a route for players in the domestic game here too as we know. There are many schoolboy coaches that pour scorn on League of Ireland clubs coaching players, maybe the coaching itself is not very different and it shouldnt be if coaches follow the methods set out when doing coaching badges, but there is at minimum the chance to interact with older pros who have been abroad and back, or who have carved out successful careers in LoI. There are greater benefits to having access to LoI level coaching from U13 ON no matter how well intended kids parents ARE when trying to 'encourage' and ignore what may be on offer in their area. But aside from coaching benefits that young players could have access to it is a shame to hear the credibility and contribution LoI makes to football in this country often derided before a local club coach has even spoken in any way to the coaching staff at a senior club. Rivalry, the 'what would they know' attitude, almost territorial claims made on players against a club that represents a region. It wasnt always done well in the past but that is no reason for any coach to be an obstruction to a young players general development over quite often petty gripes from decades previous. It happens far to often still imo and there is no shortage of resistance to the introduction of lower age groups for LoI clubs. If we could get something between U19s and senior going properly we will be well on the way to doing thing a lot better. Ok I have been working all night and maybe this is a meaningless ramble but demonising LoI or the FAI with this initiative is short sighted and self serving to quite a few wannabe Mourhinos or whomever!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    217 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    If we could get something between U19s and senior going properly we will be well on the way to doing thing a lot better.
    Has Ruud Dokter made any comments on something between U19s and senior level? It doesn't seem part of any current plan. If it is part of a longterm plan, it'll probably be further down the pipeline. When LoI clubs have teams from U13 to senior, they'll be better placed to know if a reserve team is viable.

Non-LoI entities have been invited to apply for the U15 league. Monaghan-Cavan and Kerry are already involved in the U17 league. Players will have an opportunity to develop in these areas up until about leaving cert year.

I don't know the ins and outs of the state of the game in Tipperary and Clare here in Munster. If the powers that be of those district leagues want to develop young players, following Kerry's example might be the way forward? Further afield from here, Mayo stands out as another area that might benefit from linking up with the underage leagues?

From a Kerry point of view, if senior level isn't feasible, underage involvement should benefit future Oscar Traynor Cup teams, as should re-entering the league cup. No Kerry club has won the FAI Junior Cup. Years of involvement in the national underage leagues should go some way in helping Kerry clubs to try and achieve success at that level.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast