Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 10 of 23 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: World Cup Qualifying 2018, UEFA Group D - Opponent Watch

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bungle View Post
    I believe the group will come down to goal difference though.
    does head to head count first? If it did wouldn't we already have advantage over Austria in that regard and 1-1 (our favourite result against qualification rivals!) versus both Serbia and Wales would put us ahead of them also.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    484 Posts
    no unfortunately its goal difference

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Serbia look the best team by a solid distance
    I haven't seen any evidence to suggest this. At most they look marginally the best.

4. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    The Serbs are fanatical about their showers. But not from the footage Jerry has seen.

So this time next year the lot of ye will either be arriving in Beautiful downtown Russia or miserable as you contemplate yet another World Cup without the Boys in Green face paint. Which will it be? Many believe the odds are a solid 50/50. Have any of you the courage to have already booked accommodation in a fabulous dacha or the like?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    285 Posts
    Serbia look the best team by a solid distance but they aren't a Germany or Spain..
    No, they are not. They are about on par with Bosnia who we beat to go to the Euros. I am a little afraid that the Irish team will have this attitude though and give them undeserved respect like we did against Austria.
    "We lost because we didn't win"- Ronaldo

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    The following seems a viable path to Russia if we can manage 3 pts v Serbia (not that Georgia is a foregone conclusion):

If we win next 2 games in September (Georgia away, Serbia home)
    then we’ve a chance to guarantee top place on October 6 (Moldova home) if Serbia don’t win in Austria that night.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    I'll be stunned if we beat Serbia, even if it is at home. O'Neill is very cautious and we'll play for the draw, just like how we played against both Wales and Austria at home, despite the fact we could and should have won both those games.

9. Thanks From:

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Our home form in world cup qualifiers is really poor, the last decent side we beat was Netherlands in 2001!!!!!

Points gain against decent sides, most recent first. Decent being better than Georgia, which Serbia are.

1 1 0 1 0 0 1 1 0

So a draw would be a decent result for us realistic.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    I'll be stunned if we beat Serbia, even if it is at home. O'Neill is very cautious and we'll play for the draw, just like how we played against both Wales and Austria at home, despite the fact we could and should have won both those games.
    Sadly I agree. I just can't see it. Not that I think it's beyond our capabilities by any means (and I do recognise our very real limitations) -I just think it's beyond the scope of the teams brief.
    " I wish to God that someone would be able to block out the voices in my head for five minutes, the voices that scream, over and over again: "Why do they come to me to die?"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    I wouldn't be remotely stunned if we beat them. I agree about his conservative approach but he's still managed to pull wins against Germany, B&H, Italy and Austria out of his arse, which were a lot more stunning for the most part. Hopefully we can get over Georgia first anyway I suppose.

I think there's a big difference between "playing for a draw", and believing a more cautious approach gives you a better chance of winning the game. It's the latter that I think O'Neill was guilty of against Austria. I didn't agree with his strategy but I don't think he was happy with the draw either, or indeed the execution of his game plan.

I'd imagine he would have taken a point against Wales beforehand given how depleted we were. Maintaining a four point advantage over them was a decent outcome in the circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by boysingreen View Post
    The following seems a viable path to Russia if we can manage 3 pts v Serbia (not that Georgia is a foregone conclusion):

If we win next 2 games in September (Georgia away, Serbia home)
    then we’ve a chance to guarantee top place on October 6 (Moldova home) if Serbia don’t win in Austria that night.
    Yep... that's the dream.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    We beat Germany in the last campaign at home with a cautious approach. We need McCarthy and Long back but with no further injuries I could see us playing a bit better than Sunday.

If Wales draw with Austria in the next game and we can beat Georgia then we are 6 pts clear of both Wales and Austria with 3 games to go, one of which is a home game against Moldova. Austria's point in Dublin keeps them fighting and they go to Cardiff well motivated. The Georgia game is huge.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Real ale Madrid View Post
    Austria's point in Dublin keeps them fighting and they go to Cardiff well motivated.
    Genius by O'Neill - reminds me of the time Packie left Poland score two goals so that they'd still have something to play for against England in 1991.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    Genius by O'Neill - reminds me of the time Packie left Poland score two goals so that they'd still have something to play for against England in 1991.
    Obviously it would be better if we won - but the fact remains Austria are still in the game, although I don't hold out much hope that they get a result in Cardiff.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    It is a good point though. Not only does it keep Austria in contention for Cardiff, but perhaps more crucially for their home match with Serbia (potentially).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Real ale Madrid View Post
    We beat Germany in the last campaign at home with a cautious approach. We need McCarthy and Long back but with no further injuries I could see us playing a bit better than Sunday.

If Wales draw with Austria in the next game and we can beat Georgia then we are 6 pts clear of both Wales and Austria with 3 games to go, one of which is a home game against Moldova. Austria's point in Dublin keeps them fighting and they go to Cardiff well motivated. The Georgia game is huge.
    Assuming both ourselves and Serbia win our next game, surely we want Austria to beat Wales? That would bring Austria back into the equation, with them still to face Serbia in Vienna, but almost certainly eliminate Wales. That would allow us to play for two draws in both Dublin v Serbia and Cardiff v Wales.

I have a gut feeling that Serbia are going to be a different proposition in the autumn. That's probably the pessimist in me, I'll readily admit that. I just don't believe O'Neill knows his best team, his best formation, or a combination of both. Considering the state of play in the group after November, to not qualify for this World Cup would really hurt.
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    We're still in a brilliant position it has to be said. We were lucky to beat Georgia, very lucky to draw in Serbia and scored a goal with five minutes to go to get a point on Sunday. We could and probably should be dead and buried already. I think there's a little bit too much focus on the "points dropped". Nobody has dropped less than us.

Chris Coleman is staying very positive about their chances, but in reality it's going to be extremely difficult for them to claw back ourselves or Serbia while keeping Austria at bay as well.

They really could have done with beating Serbia but conceded a late enough equaliser, on top of the leads they already threw away against Serbia previously, Georgia and Austria twice. If our glass is half empty, how frustrated must they be?!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    51 Posts
    We have to win the next two games to have any chance in finishing first! .... Cant see that happening!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    That's just not true though.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,702 Posts
    Technically not true but you'd really want to be winning both to begin looking like winning the group.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    If we draw with Georgia and beat Serbia we will be top going into final two games.

If we beat Georgia and draw with Serbia we will be (at a minimum) joint top on points going into the final two games.

It's completely inaccurate to say...

"We have to win the next two games to have any chance in finishing first!"

(Not just technically inaccurate... as if it would take some bizarre set of circumstances for us to finish top.)

The negativity is overpowering on here this week.
    Last edited by DeLorean; 14/06/2017 at 3:17 PM. Reason: tenses all over the shop

Page 10 of 23 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast