Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: UCD bounce back

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,214 Posts

UCD bounce back

Never saw this before...was on the FAI website back in early November, before our last game against Kilkenny...

When relegated last year, it was thought that UCD might be due a long spell in the First Division doldrums but just 12 months later, they are ready for a return to the top flight.**
    A lot of the credit for the remarkable turn around has to go to wily manager Pete Mahon.*
    The former St Francis’ visionary had always been highly regarded in League circles. Pat Dolan wanted him to become St Patrick’s Athletic manager in 1998 while he coached Bohemians to the double in 2001.
    But Mahon walked away from the Bohemians manager’s job after some Gypsies fans chose to vent their frustration with the club’s fortunes towards Mahon’s family and it seemed like the eircom League may have seen the last of a great manager.
    Football certainly had not seen the back of him however and he led Belgrove to the FAI Intermediate Cup in 2003 and when the chance to return to the League came in September last year, he took little time in making up his mind.
    On the face of it, it looked like a disastrous move. In the comfort zone at Belgrove, he knew he could take the club places while at UCD he inherited a sinking ship from the departed Paul Doolin.
    However, somehow UCD managed to force the relegation issue to the final day of the season as Derry City survived by the skin of teeth, though once relegated, there was not a saint who gave them a chance of competing against big spending and experienced First Division outfits.
    Mahon publicly gave his side little hope. Asset stripped by the Premier Division big boys UCD started the season with a young team, unprepared for the physical demands of the First Division.
    But privately he admits, he was telling his side that they had to go for promotion.
    With a team with a sprinkling of experience (Tony McDonnell, Mick O’Donnell, Alan Mahon), an abundance of inexperience (Willie Doyle, Neil Gallagher) and a host of untried gems (Gary Dicker, Paul Byrne), UCD got off the a flying start beating promotion favourites Bray Wanderers in their own back yards.
    A defeat two games later in Finn Harps was the acid test but their response was a 13-game unbeaten run, as they suffered just one more defeat all season.
    “We had an inexperienced team but there was a lot of quality there and I knew that even before I took over,” said Mahon. “I’m delighted with how we’ve done because if we don’t lose our last game, we’ll have lost less games than anyone else.”
    “I said to the lads before the season that I wanted us to be promoted as champions. I wouldn’t be happy to be promoted third. It’s the first time that three go up and it’s a case of not even getting promoted as the bridesmaid, it’s more like the flower girl.”
    Currently second, UCD are in a strong position to claim the title with a win against Kilkenny City on Saturday night, provided leaders Finn Harps do not beat Dundalk.
    Always pragmatic, Mahon is only concerned with his own team’s performance. “Our job is to beat Kilkenny and take advantage of any slip up Finn Harps might have.
    “I will not be happy if we don’t win the League because we didn’t get the points we needed ourselves.
    “If we win, we finish the season with 75 points. To have 75 points and finish second would be incredible.”
    It would also be unprecedented. No side in Ireland has ever finished second with 75 points (If every season is converted into a 33-game season with three points for a win). In fact, Derry City in 1989 were the last side to get higher when, had it been three points for a win, they would have finished the season with 77 points.
    But irregardless of how the students are promoted, Mahon admits that next season could be a struggle. “Every one is out of contract after the game and I’m sure some of the players are been watched.
    “It’s an occupational hazard at UCD but I’m not worrying about it. We’ll worry about next season after Kilkenny.”

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu
    It would also be unprecedented. No side in Ireland has ever finished second with 75 points (If every season is converted into a 33-game season with three points for a win). In fact, Derry City in 1989 were the last side to get higher when, had it been three points for a win, they would have finished the season with 77 points.
    Careful now although true, Derry would have finished with 77points had it been 3 points per game in 89. Bare in mind that in our 1st division winning season our record was:

Played 18 Won 16 Drew 1 Lost 1 Points 33.

If this was a 3 pt season we'd have got 49 pts. Translate this to a 33 game season and we'd have got 89.83 points (just to be exact like ) . But like I say thats just "if every season is coverted into a 33-game season with 3 points for a win".

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,214 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dancinpants
    Careful now
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu
    was on the FAI website
    Explains a lot!