Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Potential Waterford United Investment

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,524 Posts

Potential Waterford United Investment

Not much detail, but story is here: http://www.beat102103.com/sport/wate...er-consortium/

An international business consortium is reported to have expressed interest in taking over Waterford United Football Club, which holds the potential to make the club the richest in the Republic.
    Interesting times in the LOI, but aren't they always?
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    Speaking exclusively to WLR’s Off The Ball, manager Roddy Collins remained tight lipped on the possibility of a takeover, but revealed that the investors had paid a visit to the club last Friday and were “very impressed” by what they saw.
    This is how I know Roddy is full of it this time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    I just can't shake the words 'Luton Town' from my head.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,000 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by El-Pietro View Post
    This is how I know Roddy is full of it this time.
    This bit?

Roddy Collins remained tight lipped

5. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by osarusan View Post
    This bit?
    I was focusing more on the "very impressed by what the saw" bit. Waterford have been atrocious this year!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    66 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by El-Pietro View Post
    I was focusing more on the "very impressed by what the saw" bit. Waterford have been atrocious this year!
    Presumably that is about the facilities the club has at its disposal. As it's certainly not about the first team. The only positive thing about the club this year had been the excellent U17 team and the emergency of a few youth players in the first team, Dean Walsh and Eoin Wall to name a couple.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    44 Posts
    I hope this comes to something. Irish football may not be a profitable environment but Dundalk have shown that real money can be made with the right resources and patience. Waterford already have a decent ground (if with an infuriating running track), and twice the urban population of Dundalk, not accounting for County Waterford.
    "If you don't work harder I'll pull you off at halftime,"
    “Crikey, at Manchester City all we get is an orange and a cup of tea,"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts
    I hope so too but we heard the same last winter from Roddy Collins and nothing happened. Next year will be our 10th year in first division and interest in the club and crowds are dwindling so it is badly needed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    He had the same story regarding takeovers of Longford and Carlisle. Like the upgrade of the Brandywell, I'll believe it when I see it.

11. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    217 Posts
    I've had reason to spend a lot of time in Waterford. It was a great win for the Kerry League beat them in the league cup in '08. I was there. Not many can say that!

It's been very disappointing to see how the last few years have gone. A few years back after Cork and Derry had been promoted, and Shelbourne and Limerick had gone up, Waterford would have expected to be the next club in line for promotion.

It's a great city and county. Hopefully they will get on a sound footing and there'll be positive developments in their favour.
    https://foot.ie/forums/117-Kerry-FC
    A Championship: 4 years - 8 first teams - 0 financially ruined. First Division '14: 7 first teams.
    Opportunity lost for new clubs/regions to join the LoI family.

13. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    63 Posts
    Hope this happens. Interesting that a lot of Chinese funds have come into English clubs for example, apparently expecting public infrastructure contracts in return. Cameron/Osborne pushed this, and as well as Man City; Villa, The Baggies, Wolves and Leeds have all been purchased by Chinese firms. These clubs are all close to the massive High Speed rail line project. The Chinese have already got a piece of the Hinckley Pt nuclear plant contract which many people consider a waste of money but it suited the Tory government agenda.
    After all we gave away through NAMA you would think that our government would insist on some quid pro quid in the form of investment from the lucky purchasers in say LoI clubs or other sporting facilities. That 7 million in the Isle of Man account would be a big boast to Waterford, Athlone, Shels etc.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    114 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wonder88 View Post
    Hope this happens. Interesting that a lot of Chinese funds have come into English clubs for example, apparently expecting public infrastructure contracts in return. Cameron/Osborne pushed this, and as well as Man City; Villa, The Baggies, Wolves and Leeds have all been purchased by Chinese firms. These clubs are all close to the massive High Speed rail line project. The Chinese have already got a piece of the Hinckley Pt nuclear plant contract which many people consider a waste of money but it suited the Tory government agenda.
    After all we gave away through NAMA you would think that our government would insist on some quid pro quid in the form of investment from the lucky purchasers in say LoI clubs or other sporting facilities. That 7 million in the Isle of Man account would be a big boast to Waterford, Athlone, Shels etc.

The closest the LOI will come to a Chinese influx is being able to get a 4 in 1 in the Sing Lee in Oriel Park!

16. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    194 Posts
    Went to look for more details on this story on the Waterford United web page

http://www.waterford-united.ie/cgi-s...pendedpage.cgi

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts
    Thankfully, this has absolutely nothing to do with Roddy Collins.

The club have been working on this the last few weeks, but Roddy had to go and open his big mouth about it.

Very very early in proceedings but from what I gather this is the most lucrative "rumour" to pop up about investment in our club.

Allegedly an international consortium contacted our club about potential take over and came over last Friday to check out the facilities eg. RSC, WIT Training Facility, Whitfield Medical Centre etc etc. They will do up a report and hopefully take it to the next step over the coming weeks.

They could very well have contacted 5/6 other clubs as well, so I for one wont be getting excited yet.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    409 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wonder88 View Post
    You're deluded if you think the Chinese money attracted to English football has anything to do with fishing for public sector contracts. You just have to look at the sectors that some of the investors are involved in to realise that.

The Chinese influx is primarily those long-standing factors of foreign investors buying instant kudos/status via a high profile investment, and rich people looking for playthings. Buying West Bromwich Albion would have ni bearing on your ability to land government contracts. The Conservative government in England haven't a feckin' clue about football or who owns what in it.

20. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ToberonaTornado View Post
    Went to look for more details on this story on the Waterford United web page

http://www.waterford-united.ie/cgi-s...pendedpage.cgi
    The official website has been down for months a sign of the way things have gone at the club lately

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EatYerGreens View Post
    You're deluded if you think the Chinese money attracted to English football has anything to do with fishing for public sector contracts. You just have to look at the sectors that some of the investors are involved in to realise that.

The Chinese influx is primarily those long-standing factors of foreign investors buying instant kudos/status via a high profile investment, and rich people looking for playthings. Buying West Bromwich Albion would have ni bearing on your ability to land government contracts. The Conservative government in England haven't a feckin' clue about football or who owns what in it.
    It's more about hiding their money/assets in English football clubs before it's all taken from them/they lose it on the markets
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

23. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    63 Posts
    I see that Jim O Neill(now Lord) today has resign from the Britsih Treasury due to the PM snubbing of China. O Neill was appointed to the government and Lords by Osborne and given responsibility for the "northern Powerhouse" conservative policy. People may recall him as a member of the "red knights" who had proposals to buy Man Utd before the Glaser family and during the height of the fans unhappiness with the American ownership, green and red shirts,scarfs and formation of FC Utd.
    Another opportunity perhaps for Irish business/LoI clubs due to the changing nature of British politics.

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    no offence to Roddy but there was the same talk eight years ago when him and his buddy were goin to take over us and it never happened so I would take it with a pinch of salt!
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts
    Waterford United general manager Paul Cleary was on local radio this morning and said there had been some preliminary interest a few times this season and a visitor on behalf of Chinese consortium was checking out the club recently but he played it down so I won't be getting my hopes up until something is announced. A report on the club by Ned O'Connor on behalf of FAI is coming out in next few weeks and there will be an open meeting at WIT to discuss the clubs future plans then.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast